• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! Special Edition Part IV

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarcFBR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I had to go back and look for which one had the scar also...

Quite amusing.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Damn! LOL! I can't believe... In addition to them all looking the same, they each are described as "Blah-Blah-Blah, and handsome." How could I miss that?!

And a funny strip just got funnier.

Jadress wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:

But seriously, why is it every Bishonen or Japanese Pretty Boy looks like an extra from an 80's Duran Duran Video?! Seriously! It's 2010, Ladies!

And the Androgyny... Lordy, don't get me started on the metrosexual androgyny!

Sorry, it's still hot! :p

[Kronk] Ri-i-i-i-ight. [/Kronk]
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:21 pm Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:
I would be reading and think "which one is this again?"

For me, it was more of an issues trying to distinguish who was speaking. When I read, it sometimes gets annoying when I can't get the right voice for the right character in my head. Didn't really help that the anime left out some characters.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:30 am Reply with quote
youjik33 wrote:
Well, androgyny is not exactly unusual among real Japanese men.

...when I was in Japan one of my (female) friends thought there was a totally hot guy working in a flower shop, but then was horribly embarrassed when she realized it was a girl.

That's because J-guys are looking like J-gals.

Even Japan is getting worried about passive "herbivore men." Laughing
Dinoguy1000

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:30 am Reply with quote
Is no one going to mention Rumiko Takahashi? From what I remember, she's usually pretty good at having distinctive character designs within a series, but once you compare between series, you start wondering if there's some behind-the-scenes cloning going on.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:00 am Reply with quote
Dinoguy1000 wrote:
Is no one going to mention Rumiko Takahashi? From what I remember, she's usually pretty good at having distinctive character designs within a series, but once you compare between series, you start wondering if there's some behind-the-scenes cloning going on.

I don't think anyone was gonna mention her, because up there with Clamp, she's one of the uber sacred cows. But yeah, I've never read any of her works, or seen anything animated of hers other than Inuyasha, but all I have to do is look at the covers of any manga volume with her name on it, and they look like the same characters in every series.
Dorian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:37 am Reply with quote
Lignamorren

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The problem is that anime and manga usually feature the artist's idea of ideal beauty (the most ideal eyes, the most ideal face-shape, etc), so even with an extremely talented character designer like Toshihiro Kawamoto (who is quite capable of drawing diverse looking people), all of the attractive female characters are going to look the same.

Wow, words cannot describe how much I disagree with this. No artist worth his or her salt has a single ideal of beauty. (I speak as somewhat of a dilettante artist.) To be an artist one has, first of all, to observe, and anyone who honestly observes people for any length of time is forced to acknowledge that there is a wealth of very different eyes, face shapes, and so on, equally beautiful.

Mangaka are forced to crank out huge volumes of "art" that is intended to appeal to a mass audience, and so we see certain conventions adopted for ease of production. It's as true of Western cartoon art as of manga. But the idea that three quarters of the comic artists in Japan think a chin you could spear an olive with is the ideal of beauty is absurd.
Dinoguy1000

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:45 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Dinoguy1000 wrote:

I don't think anyone was gonna mention her, because up there with Clamp, she's one of the uber sacred cows. But yeah, I've never read any of her works, or seen anything animated of hers other than Inuyasha, but all I have to do is look at the covers of any manga volume with her name on it, and they look like the same characters in every series.

Actually, speaking of CLAMP, they're also guilty of this (again, between series), but that's more often than not because the characters are the same between series (or at the very least, reincarnations or doubles from parallel universes or what have you).

Someone is going to royally burn me for this, aren't they?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2