• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hetalia US Premiere and Cast Panel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derpMonster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
derpMonster wrote:
Saturn wrote:
musouka wrote:
Yeah, you know what Hetalia needed? Cuss words and Nazi jokes.

Thanks for filling in those gaps that the Japanese version left, Funimation. Rolling Eyes

thank you for saying eloquently what I couldn't even form in my brain due to the RAGE.

Wait, the Original Japanese Anime didn't have that??? I thought they directly translated dialogue word for word!

The subtitles follow the Japanese script more closely while the dub's script intentionally takes some liberties.

I see. So the Italians/Catholics thing was also just the dub D: ? Not sure how I should feel about this. It's kinda offensive, no?

Last edited by derpMonster on Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Saturn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
"liberties" is a... kind way to put it :\

derpMonster, in the original there are no references to Jews, Catholics, Germany being really "white" or anything like that.
derpMonster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
"liberties" is a... kind way to put it :\

derpMonster, in the original there are no references to Jews, Catholics, Germany being really "white" or anything like that.

I see D:
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:04 pm Reply with quote
derpMonster wrote:
It's kinda offensive, no?

Well, they addressed that in the panel, as can be read in the article...
championferret

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:51 pm Reply with quote
This really infuriates me. They've turned it into a completely different show; one that Hetalia was never meant to be.
This really doesn't make sense to me. They knew Hetalia was popular, and it was popular because of the original script. Why 'fix' what was never broken? A move like this is only going to alienate more people and lose them a lot of the show's original fans.

I for one am not supporting this stupidity. My money goes to the Japanese DVDs. The humour in these dubs sounds like something a fratboy came up with, or like one of those joke 'abridged series' fandubs on youtube. It's completely out of place in an official release, and is woefully unfunny anyway. (Not to mention how OOC they've made the characters act...)
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:09 pm Reply with quote
...Is it really that bad? o.O I like the original (based on Funi's subtitles) and I like the dub. So am I a horrible fan because I like the radical changes in the dub even though I still like the original dialogue?

Really, if the dub isn't your cup of tea, you can still support Funimation by buying the DVDs and just watching the sub (or buy the Japanese release, if that's an option) or watch the free streams. It's better than anything else.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:29 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
This really infuriates me. They've turned it into a completely different show; one that Hetalia was never meant to be.
This really doesn't make sense to me. They knew Hetalia was popular, and it was popular because of the original script. Why 'fix' what was never broken? A move like this is only going to alienate more people and lose them a lot of the show's original fans.

I for one am not supporting this stupidity. My money goes to the Japanese DVDs. The humour in these dubs sounds like something a fratboy came up with, or like one of those joke 'abridged series' fandubs on youtube. It's completely out of place in an official release, and is woefully unfunny anyway. (Not to mention how OOC they've made the characters act...)

I have no love for Hetalia and I'm not really a watcher of the show, so I don't know anything about it but that being said, if the dub is that annoying why not just switch the language option?
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:17 am Reply with quote
I think they should have done for Hetalia what ADV did for Super Milk Chan: Have two separate dubs (a straight translation of the Japanese version and an Americanized version).

However... if it comes to it being on tv then don't make the odd mistake of putting the straight dub on tv. I still don't get why ADV did that.

That way both sets of fans could be happy. Considering the episodes are only minutes long...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Saturn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
...Is it really that bad? o.O I like the original (based on Funi's subtitles) and I like the dub. So am I a horrible fan because I like the radical changes in the dub even though I still like the original dialogue?

Really, if the dub isn't your cup of tea, you can still support Funimation by buying the DVDs and just watching the sub (or buy the Japanese release, if that's an option) or watch the free streams. It's better than anything else.

Yeah, it's really that bad when you take the Nazi joke into account; in that context, the other "off-color" jokes seem a lot worse than they did originally.
It's bad enough that some fans have decided that they don't want to support Funimation at all.

My initial reaction to all the wanking about the dub was, "hey, I don't watch dubs anyway, so it doesn't matter to me" but now I've moved into the camp of "Funi isn't getting any money from my pocket to ruin Hetalia". It's not just a matter of not liking the dub; they've lowered the show to a level it's not supposed to be on. People who don't watch Hetalia have a habit of thinking of it as "that show that makes fun of the atrocities of war" when it's actually not.
Except, watching the dub, that's exactly what it is.
I'm not saying Hetalia ever deserved a Nobel Prize or anything, but it deserved better than it got.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote
For the people saying "buy the DVD to support the Sub" or "don't watch the dub":

Unless they do polls of every single person who buys the DVD to find out if they're buying it for the dub, the sub, or both, you can't "buy the DVD to support the sub". If you buy the DVD, you are supporting the whole project, not one or the other. And while I had no intention of watching the dub anyway, the fifteening makes it a no-sale for me. I will not support a practice that went out of style a decade ago (that I hated anyway), and that no decent company continues.

CRAPimation lost my sale, as well as everyone else I know, and I won't likely buy other of their products until they can earn my trust back.
championferret

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:

Yeah, it's really that bad when you take the Nazi joke into account; in that context, the other "off-color" jokes seem a lot worse than they did originally.
It's bad enough that some fans have decided that they don't want to support Funimation at all.

My initial reaction to all the wanking about the dub was, "hey, I don't watch dubs anyway, so it doesn't matter to me" but now I've moved into the camp of "Funi isn't getting any money from my pocket to ruin Hetalia". It's not just a matter of not liking the dub; they've lowered the show to a level it's not supposed to be on. People who don't watch Hetalia have a habit of thinking of it as "that show that makes fun of the atrocities of war" when it's actually not.
Except, watching the dub, that's exactly what it is.
I'm not saying Hetalia ever deserved a Nobel Prize or anything, but it deserved better than it got.

+ 100

This so much. Hetalia fans had a bad enough reputation as it was, and this is only going to make it worse.

Maybe I won't mind so much if they try to make it obvious that the japanese and english language versions are totally different. Maybe make two dubs, this 'joke' one and a more faithful one, or have some indication. Because there are -so- many people that only watch dubs, and like I said before, they're going to get a very different idea of what the show is. For the loyal fans, it feels like a kick in the gut.

Mostly I dont understand why Funimation have made it more offensive 'to fit a demographic'.
Hetalia already had a demographic.And most of them aren't happy.

Last edited by championferret on Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
If it's not making fun of the atrocities of war then why does it portray Italy in WW2 as some sort of carefree kid with only pasta on his mind?

Do you know what Mussolini did in Italy? Do you know what Italy did to Ethiopia? I can't imagine that Hetalia showed any of that.

How are people supposed to feel about it? It's a show that takes place during wartimes that shows the countries as being all cute and innocent. Maybe that's not "making fun" of the atrocities of war, but it certainly is "making light" of them.
championferret

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:37 am Reply with quote
^ that there is what a lot of people did like about Hetalia, that it tried to tip-toe around controversy. This may come across as offensive to some, but it's got nothing on the dub, which is pretty much just 'LOL LOL WAR' with the subtlety of a sledgehammer.
As I've said before, there's a pretty big difference between something possibly being offensive and something that goes out of it's way to be offensive/vulgar on purpose. The latter is South Park, not Hetalia.
Saturn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:43 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
If it's not making fun of the atrocities of war then why does it portray Italy in WW2 as some sort of carefree kid with only pasta on his mind?

Do you know what Mussolini did in Italy? Do you know what Italy did to Ethiopia? I can't imagine that Hetalia showed any of that.

How are people supposed to feel about it? It's a show that takes place during wartimes that shows the countries as being all cute and innocent. Maybe that's not "making fun" of the atrocities of war, but it certainly is "making light" of them.

there's a HUGE difference between "making light" and "making fun", though. We can't pretend there's not.
As championferret said, Hetalia fans like the way the grimness is tiptoed around. Of course we know what Mussolini did; but is it fair to think of the entire Italian population as that one man? Are all Germans equatable to Hitler? That's not very fair, is it?
Hetalia's aim is to base the personification of each country on the common silly stereotypes people tend to have (ie. Italians like pasta, Germans are very serious, Americans are loud). The end result is that the countries come off as a lot more human than they normally do-- there are no bad guys in Hetalia, and it's hard to dislike ANY of the characters. The general impression that it aims for is that every country is likable but flawed.
It's not gloomy and it doesn't make me hate humanity in general, but it certainly does make me feel a little more compassion for others about whom I knew very little before I started watching and reading. (How many people who don't know Hetalia actually know where Sealand is, for example? Oh, and I have a degree in history, but to be perfectly honest I knew very little about Polish-Lithuanian relations before watching the show, either, simply because it was never covered in any of my classes.)
There are enough anime (and movies, and books, and everything else) that show us the horrible reality of war. That's not what Hetalia is.
Furthermore, Hetalia isn't actually *about* war. It's about world history. I don't really understand why people keep calling it a show about WWII (unless they just haven't seen it).

Basically what Funimation did was take a cute show that liked to tease the world at large and turned it into a show full of nasty commentary making mean-spirited jokes at the expense of Haitians and Jews-- and Christians, non-whites, and so forth. And that's just from the eps we've seen so far. Just imagine what will happen later on.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote
The first four episodes I saw were all about Germany and Italy in WW1 and WW2. Other than the "Chibitalia" segments of course.

If the author just wanted it to be cute countries and the stereotypes then obviously a setting other than the first and second World Wars could have been shown, right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4