• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo Hiring Anime Production Staff Members Again

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm also looking forwards to when the new offshoot by the original founder of Gonzo, Lamda Films, is far enough along to start announcing their projects as their initial press release and their official site relay intentions of doing new anime TV series and Films too.
TJR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
I'm also looking forwards to when the new offshoot by the original founder of Gonzo, Lamda Films, is far enough along to start announcing their projects as their initial press release and their official site relay intentions of doing new anime TV series and Films too.

It's a tough time for everyone right now, so securing funding (which was their announced goal) might be a challenge. I think that's the difficulty Lambda Film faces.

Other Gonzo offshoots are having varying amounts of success:
- David Production (founded by producers originally from Digimation) hasn't had a real project since last year's commercial flop, Book of Bantorra
- Encourage Films (original Digimation producer + Kaleido Star/Romeo x Juliet staff) is seeking funding for their Wish Angel project
- Hoods Entertainment is doing well with Qwaser and Aki Sora. Doubt they'll have any problem securing work, although it's bottom of the barrel stuff

Can't say I'm too optimistic about Lambda Film's chances, but hopefully, they have something lined up. There's a real shortage of work out there, and only the top industry workhorses (who do adaptations, assembly line style. Even Manglobe appears to be shifting a bit in this direction) seem to be relatively unaffected.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quote
Yeah you're probably right with the economies and everything, and how safe everyone's playing it. Hopefully since the founder of Lamda's not a newbie and clearly has connections since he's been in the industry for quite a while and not only had success but also has had connections with some of the bigger studios, and Gonzo being formerly a relatively strong studio, will help them get their projects off the ground if they've got some quality works on the drawing board, atleast I hope so since they were hoping to re-capture the passion of creating works they were especially motivated to craft again.

A bit off topic, but since you mention Manglobe, while House of Five Leaves was quite good and retained a production style that felt less like an adaptation than usual and there's absolutely nothing wrong with awesome adaptations (many great shows are), their "descent" from starting out with Samurai Champloo, Ergo Proxy and Michiko & Hatchin, to the current need to mainly do adaptations is indeed quite sad given the strength of those 3 original properties since Manglobe is another studio that's got the talent for "more" or at least to do both.

I hope Bones' originals and adaptations continue to do well enough in sales that they can continue to balance creating the two because they do both really well and I certainly don't want to lose their classic originals too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2