• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Battle Royale Novel Gets New Manga Spinoff in January

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
The Hunger Games is the poor man's Battle Royale. Not only does it feel like a bad ripoff in places (there are several things that are almost exactly the same), there's none of the moral conflict that made Battle Royale so interesting in the first place.
The deus ex machina in Hunger Games for the sake of eliminating moral dilemnas was ridiculous. Plus the random romance thrown on seemed tacked on at best.
Granted I only read the first one and gave up, I don't know if it improves at all.

To actually stay on topic, I'm interested in how it turns out. The first Battle Royale manga was okay (over the top and ridiculous and creepily sexual...why do most of these these 15 year olds look like 30 year olds? But a fun read none-the-less and kept me glued to it just to see what happened in the end). 'Battle Royal II Blitz Royal' was apalling, and had horrendous art, so I'm hoping it's at least better than that.

The Hunger Games books were good, but ONLY the first two. The last one killed it all. It was so rushed and just bad...you can read Wikipedia spoilers. I also agree that it was a huge influence on the series too. But, it is no where near as good as Battle Royale.

It says spin off so maybe just new characters in the same sort on environment? Maybe to challenge the hunger games....>.>
Colour Blind

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I really, really don't want it to be yet another Battle Royale death match, but with a different class.

I doubt it will be, though.
championferret

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:
It introduces sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives in a post-apocalyptic world in the country of Panem where North America once stood. This is where a powerful government working in a central city called the Capitol holds power. In the book, the Hunger Games are an annual televised event where the Capitol chooses one boy and one girl from each district to fight to the death. The Hunger Games exist to demonstrate not even children are beyond the reach of the Capitol's power.

Wow... this is the first I've heard of "The Hunger Games", but that is such a farking rip-off of Battle Royale that I literally laughed when I read this. The only thing different is that instead of having an entire class chosen, the government chooses only one boy and girl at a time (why always one boy and girl, is this some sort of gender supremacy book?). Wow. That's terrible.

[apologies for further talk of Hunger Games, but...]
Actually it's not just a boy and a girl. There are something like 8 'districts' in the book's universe (I cant remember the exact number, I think it was 8) and they pick a boy and girl from each, so there's about 16 kids in the fight-to-the-death. I assume the 'one boy one girl' thing is to keep the amount of boys vs girls equal. So the main difference is more like 'instead of choosing a bunch of kids who know eachother well, it's a bunch of kids who don't except for the one other kid from their district'. (Seemed like another copout on the 'moral' front there too; when these other random kids die the reader really cant bring themselves to really care, with some exceptions, because they were just 'unknown' characters anyway)

So that my post isnt entirely off topic, I just searched for Mioko Onishi on MAL and couldn't seem to find anything on him. Anyone care to link some examples of his artwork?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2