• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Stream Minami-ke: Tadaima Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I love the first season of Minami-ke, which is easily the best no doubt, but I'd actually also buy seasons 2 and 3, which I don't find to be nearly as terrible as people claim it is, obvious drop in animation quality aside. Asread has an obvious A team and B team, the A team does segments that look almost as good as Studio Daume's version, while the B team churns out what looks like really bad Minami-ke fanart. Minami-ke Okaeri (season 3) does have one of my all-time favourite Minami-ke segments, about Chiaki and the "Curry Fairy".

Anyway, Minami-ke Tadaima has been par for the course so far, but I like "par" just fine. Definitely hoping for a physical release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

should I really care?? i mean for the god it's from the studio that did bible black.

Even if that were true, which it isn't, what in the world would that have to do with anything?

Despite popularization of the "Bible Black" faces, the two productions have no notable staff in common.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote
CXHazuki wrote:
This is cool, although funimations website is not very good.

Both Puchim@s and Senran Kagura are also posted at Hulu (although it appears they may be posting episodes of the former only once per week instead of daily). Provided you are not in Canada, you will likely be able to watch it there if you prefer instead of at Funimation.com.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
CXHazuki wrote:
This is cool, although funimations website is not very good.

Both Puchim@s and Senran Kagura are also posted at Hulu (although it appears they may be posting episodes of the former only once per week instead of daily). Provided you are not in Canada, you will likely be able to watch it there if you prefer instead of at Funimation.com.

There's also YouTube, if it isn't blocked.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
An anime about the daily lives of three (presumed) orphan sisters who live in an apartment together and go to school seems like a bit too niche a title for FUNimation, but they could add a bit of mass appeal by advertising Minami-ke as being based on a manga from the same magazine as Akira and Ghost in the Shell (completely true, all three manga originated in the pages of Kodansha's Young Magazine).

If anyone ever licenses Kiss x Sis, they can also make the exact same true claim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
Even though I don't really like Minami-ke spoiler[(the sisters were too mean-spirited for me to find funny)] and this is only a stream license, I'm very surprised that it has taken this long for the franchise to get any attention from an R1 distributor. It has a good enough following and has a marketable look, but I suppose the license was too high for many tastes? I'm fairly certain this will get a full franchise release in the end, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:16 am Reply with quote
Oh wow. I am so happy right now. The US anime industry has finally taken a shot with Minami-ke. Great news. I shall enjoy the second season as it is streamed and would definitely pick up the LE release of the first season if it were licensed and released as well.

No longer will I need to write that companies should license Minami-ke in small text like this
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:41 am Reply with quote
Glad to see this picked up by somebody and I would hope the numbers garner some interest by Funi into looking into picking up the other seasons, especially Season 1 which to me is one of the funniest animes I've ever seen.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:43 am Reply with quote
picking up season 4 of something is very odd and out of order for Funimation. I would pick up season 4 seasons one and two and three and the ova of this show should Funimation release it.

but picking up a show so late, how odd.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:56 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

should I really care?? i mean for the god it's from the studio that did bible black.

Even if that were true, which it isn't, what in the world would that have to do with anything?

Despite popularization of the "Bible Black" faces, the two productions have no notable staff in common.

Well that I'm trying to say is that the animation for season one is good enough for dvd release here in my personal opinion. I really do hope funimation decides to pick up this up as well. I really didn't know that so thank you for correcting me as well, but still those faces are great.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:12 am Reply with quote
Well that I'm trying to say is that the animation for season one is good enough for dvd release here in my personal opinion. I really do hope funimation decides to pick up this up as well. I really didn't know that so thank you for correcting me as well, but still those faces are great.

Of course its "good enough" for a DVD release. The mere fact that it exists makes it "good enough" for that.

You really need to avoid muddling up your points with things that are utterly unrelated, it makes you look really stupid.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:10 am Reply with quote
I am only now going through the previous seasons and yes, S1 is great. I'm mostly through S2 now and... can Kana actually get worse?
I'm not sure how much I want to watch a fourth season if the show just further becomes centered on Kana's unchecked manipulative a-hole behavior.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote
Okawari is mostly filler, particularly the sections with Fuyuki. It pretty much doesn't exist to most fans of Minami-ke. Okaeri is slightly better as it has much more of the fun side characters but again, it's done by Asread who are completely inferior to Daume. Right now Tadaima has been pretty well when it comes to comedic timing, and I think that is the key element when it comes to Minami-ke's humor. It is the 'season two' that us Minami-ke fans have been hoping for, so far.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
picking up season 4 of something is very odd and out of order for Funimation. I would pick up season 4 seasons one and two and three and the ova of this show should Funimation release it.

but picking up a show so late, how odd.

By late, are you referring to not picking up one of the previous series before, or that they started the simulcast well after the series premiered in Japan?

If the latter, it isn't odd at all, at least not for Funimation. It is more typical that they start their simulcasts late than on time. They've started simulcasts far later than this.

If the former, keep in mind as I mentioned in an earlier post, Funimation didn't do simulcasts when the earlier series aired. They would have needed to commit to a full home video license and DVD release, whereas now they can test the waters with a less expensive streaming license and simulcast.

When faced with a series that had three prequel series (i.e., The Familiar of Zero), even Crunchyroll didn't snag any of the earlier series. That is a tall hill to climb.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2