• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Edit List - Samurai Champloo Episode 03

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:27 pm Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
spoiler[Opium. The Chinese Had it.]

I had thought about that when I first saw the episode, but spoiler[opium is collected by dehydrating and condensing the juice of a poppy plant. In the episode, the "sacred grass" is simply burned. So I don't think it's opium. And while it might not be marijuana, the plant is in a star shape which is what the marijuana plant looks like.]

But anyway, AS will probably leave everything in, because nobody actually uses it; they all breathe it in accidentally.

The only other concievable plant that I can think of is spoiler[Indian Tobacco.]
Aokage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:51 pm Reply with quote
When I was referencing Ikkitousen, I was refering to the DVD. The first post said that the DVD was likely to be edited for Samurai Champloo. I referenced Ikkitousen because it is another Geneon release, and it's DVD's remain unedited (from what I know).
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Kyle Pope is wrong about episode 3 being uncut. I heard a few language scratches. Looks like he's slippin'; this isn't the first time he's missed edits.

As for the whole drug thing, remember Rurouni Kenshin had 2 arcs dealing with opium. CN left the references to the drug intact in the first arc but changed it to "poppies" in the second one (CONTRABAND FLOWERS!!!!). And that was on Toonami and the now-defunct SVES.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Wait, if they breathed it in, then someone had to have used it, right? Don't tell me we're getting into another Stand Alone Complex here. My brain can't take it! ^^;

What brain? You're referencing a series that has nothing to do with what we're talking about. What do drugs have to do with SAC?
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:06 pm Reply with quote
It's the paradoxical idea that an event occured without a cause a la the Stand Alone Complex where copies are made without an original.

And in answer to the first question, after watching FLCL, there is no brain left. X__X
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2