• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Azumanga Daioh Collection

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:58 pm Reply with quote
While the initial Thin-Pak series collections had identical disks to the individual releases and the normal box-sets, the more recent and cheaper thin-pack collections (around $50) do NOT have the same disks as the original release. They're bare-bones and do not contain extras, just the episodes themselves.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
While the initial Thin-Pak series collections had identical disks to the individual releases and the normal box-sets, the more recent and cheaper thin-pack collections (around $50) do NOT have the same disks as the original release. They're bare-bones and do not contain extras, just the episodes themselves.

ADV does it this way as it is cheaper for them since they don't have to pay royalties for the extras in the license, and most likely ADV re-negotiated the license agreement to get a lower cost and this lower cost does not include the extras.

In other words, ADV still makes money on these releases.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:10 am Reply with quote
Well, I guess I'm lucky. Every couple of weeks, ADV has a big "blowout sale". I got Vol 1 +box for 12 bucks and vols. 3,4 and 6 for 10 bucks apiece. I bought vols 2 & 5 for 26 bucks apiece from animecorner. So, I got the fullsize collection with artbox, all the book inserts and all the pins for about 20-25bucks more than the thin-pak price. Not too shabby!

One way to save some money and not wait is to shop Suncoast. On almost every new release for the 1st week they reduce the price by 10 bucks for the $29 dvds. You could save $70 on a 7-disc series. Every little bit helps.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:27 am Reply with quote
Whearn9999 wrote:
Well, I guess I'm lucky. Every couple of weeks, ADV has a big "blowout sale". I got Vol 1 +box for 12 bucks and vols. 3,4 and 6 for 10 bucks apiece. I bought vols 2 & 5 for 26 bucks apiece from animecorner. So, I got the fullsize collection with artbox, all the book inserts and all the pins for about 20-25bucks more than the thin-pak price. Not too shabby!

One way to save some money and not wait is to shop Suncoast. On almost every new release for the 1st week they reduce the price by 10 bucks for the $29 dvds. You could save $70 on a 7-disc series. Every little bit helps.

I don't know, I've never seen a sale at Suncoast. Your best bet would be to go to someplace like BestBuy. Circuit City doesn't really sell anime. Even if Suncoast does have a sale, BestBuy is still cheaper.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:35 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:

Maybe the Azumanga Daioh thinpak will include a DVD with all the information that the individual DVD inserts had, or a CD with all this on a Adobe PDF file.

Although... about 50% of the AzuDai insert info was the same character art that was on the extras section of the DVD (probably won't be on the thinpak discs either; just saying). And a lot of that was almost straight screenshot-style poses showing what the kids wore in various episodes.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:44 am Reply with quote
Excellent!

On a side note, they'll never put 'Eva' in a thin-pak, that's their money-maker right there. The series has been out longer than any of their other titles and they finally put it in a complete boxset. It's still expensive but what do you expect? I took advantage of the Xmas deal they had last year on TRSI, where you could get the entire boxset for $40+. I don't care about the platinum set. I'm not a die-hard 'Eva' fan or a audio/video junkie. I had been waiting for 'Noir' to be finally put into a collective format. Just had the chance to see it up close at a local 'Best Buy'. You still get all of the covers. I need space I don't want a bunch DVD releases taking up space. I'll probably wait for 'Madlax' too. I wish that FUNimation would follow suit. All their 'DB/DBZ' crap is in collective boxsets but none of the other titles which have less volumes.

Again this was the question that I had asked a long time ago about what is better to do, buy each volume of a show when it comes out or wait until they compile it. Most said they would wait some would say buy as they come out. I mean unless one wants to collect the covers. I just hope things don't suffer too badly.
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:18 am Reply with quote
Errr...what's the difference between a thinpak and the regular box set? Is it just thinner? Not a bad deal though, I've always wanted to check out the series.
Suikoden6880

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:39 am Reply with quote
I think sumone said sumwhere in this forum that the thinpack was a slim dvd case with all ( or some ) of the dvds... Confused
Not sure myself.
But Azumanga Daioh isnt a bad series at all. Really funny.( Planning on getting the rest of the series. Very Happy )
KawaiiKitty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:10 am Reply with quote
I've been reading all the posts here and I'm still not so sure of which is better.

Let's say you're a big fan of Azumanga and seen all the anime on fansubs and planning to get the anime by ADV, but you don't want to spend a lot of money. Which one would you get, the thin-pack or the boxset? Which one is ultimately the better deal?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Manga
Treeloot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:10 am Reply with quote
Azumanga Daioh isn't funny at all. It's very slow paced, and they have about 8 different jokes that get reused over and over. Then too many times they go for happy instead of funny. I swear they had the 5 minute scene at the end where everybody is happy in at least 10 episodes.

It was a dreadful series.
Suikoden6880

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:29 am Reply with quote
Well, you are right about that. Azumanga Daioh(anime) does tends to wastes about 5 minutes in every episode doing nothing but staring and silence. But it was still great and funny Smile

But I was talking about the manga being funny, not the anime.

Last edited by Suikoden6880 on Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:29 am Reply with quote
Treeloot wrote:
Azumanga Daioh isn't funny at all. It's very slow paced, and they have about 8 different jokes that get reused over and over. Then too many times they go for happy instead of funny. I swear they had the 5 minute scene at the end where everybody is happy in at least 10 episodes.

It was a dreadful series.

Really, you are in the minority then, since I thought it was great, and 655 people who watched it rated it Excellent or 8.64 on average. 630 people rated it Decent or Better, and of that 426 rated it Excellent or better. Only 25 rated it so-so or worse, and 1 person rated it worst ever (dub). It was seen in part or whole by 1214 people, ranked #34 on this website.

update to Azumanga Daioh Collection wrote:
ADV Films has informed us that the Azumanga Daioh Thinkpack Collection does not include Azumanga Daioh - The Very Short Movie, or any other extras. ADV is keeping the extras for their initial releases in order so as not to "punish" anyone who paid the higher price for those releases.

This is a good thing, at least ADV has a head on them.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:47 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
ADV Films has informed us that the Azumanga Daioh Thinkpack Collection does not include Azumanga Daioh - The Very Short Movie, or any other extras. ADV is keeping the extras for their initial releases in order so as not to "punish" anyone who paid the higher price for those releases.

Actually, that's great news. I bought the Vol.1 + box around the time it came out, and this appears to be a great marketing strategy by ADV.

The buyers are left with the choice of purchasing each volume individally, in which they pay more, but get (in my opinion) good extras like liner notes, pins, and The Short Movie on the last DVD.

Or, they could get the entire series in a thinpack box set, pay considerably less money, but miss out on all the extras.

My advise to those of you who are planning to get the box set, there are a lot of cultural jokes and subtlties written into the show, so unless you either know a lot about Japanese culture or don't care about it all, I'd recommend the box set.

Otherwise, if you find these kind of things intersting or are curious to learn more about another culture, then I'd stick with the individual discs (which can be found at really good prices if you look hard enough Wink).

EDIT: Corrected some spelling.

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
kusanagi-sama wrote:

Actually, that's great news. I bought the Vol.1 + box around the time it came out, and this appears to be a great marketing strategy by ADV.

The buyers are left with the choice of purchasing each volume individally, in which they pay more, but get (in my opinion) good extras like liner notes, pins, and The Short Movie on the last DVD.

Or, they could get the entire series in a thinpack box set, pay considerably less money, but miss out on all the extras.

My advise to those of you who are planning to get the box set, there are a lot of cultural jokes and subtlties written into the show, so unless you either know a lot about Japanese culture or don't care about it all, I'd recommend the box set.

Otherwise, if you find these kind of things intersting or are curious to learn more about another culture, then I'd stick with the individual discs (which can be found at really good prices if you look hard enough Wink).

You see, I thrive on those kinds of special edition pack-ins, big artboxes, and extra disc content, so I guess I won't be picking up many ThinPak releases anytime soon.
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

Then, from the looks of it, Thinpak won't be my type of thing. I'd never understand any of the cultural references on my own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4