• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gosick Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:44 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
I think the biggest mystery about this series is outside the series itself. ... if Bones is trying to animate all 9 light novels in one go (yes the light novel was completed in 2007). Even if the show is 24 episodes, it still makes some sense that they're moving at such a pace. ...
Yeah, 24/9 = 2 and 2/3. So 3 novels in 2 episodes each and 6 novels at 3 episodes each would make 24.

AFAIR, Marimite often went about that pace, even though it obviously meant that some things from the light novels did not make it into the anime, or in a more abbreviated form.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:53 am Reply with quote
Sometimes Kujo is a little too stupid. Like, the part in episode 6 when Victorique is trying to sneak out and he asks her if she's going to the dentist about a toothache from eating all that candy. I thought that was a hilarious joke, until I realized he wasn't being facetious.
The boy doesn't need to be as dumb as a sack of potatoes.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

I thought that women liked them that way.

Actually, the same sort of transformation often to Dr. Watson happened in various performance-art variations of Sherlock Holmes. I am thinking in particular of the one with Basil Rathbone as Holmes.

It was clear that Doyle in the novels intended Watson to be an intelligent, vital thinker who simply did not have the mindset that Holmes did, but the movies always turned him into sort of a clown. I am not sure why. Is the same thing happening here?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
That would be if you use the more international-friendly Hepburn romanization. However, the Japanese have their own system of romanization, the Nihon-shiki system, where it would be closer to Gothic->Gosick (Gosikku I believe, though I could be wrong).

Yeah, it would be gosikku transliterated in Nihon-shiki (the pronunciation would be "shi" rather than "si" in English, though). The use of "ck," though, makes me think there is something else beyond Engrish involved here, though after 6 episodes I have no idea what. Again, it may just be "because it looks cool to combine two English words."

I think it is merely a case of knowing the word ゴシック in katakana (the same way a westerner might know words like sushi, karaoke and sayonara without knowing how to write them in Japanese) and whoever was responsible to the cover of the first novel romanising it without realising or just without checking on the correct English spelling (witness Chrno Crusade).
For a similar example, there was once a tale on the Engrish.com site about the manual for some telephone equipment that had been translated from Japanese to English by someone who was clearly not a native English speaker. For one particular phrase they had decided to express hanging up the phone as "hook the phone", however they clearly didn't actually know how to spell "hook" ( katakana フック) in English; フ could be either "fu" or "hu" and they decided to go with the former, then chose to render ック as "ck" and I think you can see where I'm going with this...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:37 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

I thought that women liked them that way.

Actually, the same sort of transformation often to Dr. Watson happened in various performance-art variations of Sherlock Holmes. I am thinking in particular of the one with Basil Rathbone as Holmes.

It was clear that Doyle in the novels intended Watson to be an intelligent, vital thinker who simply did not have the mindset that Holmes did, but the movies always turned him into sort of a clown. I am not sure why. Is the same thing happening here?

I haven't read the books yet (though they arrived the other day), so I don't know how stupid Kujo is in the books, but he's defintely a complete moron in the show. True, having him as smart as Victorique would have been difficult to make work, but they definitely went too far in making him an idiot. That's pretty much my biggest complaint about the series actually. And that example with the dentist is a prime one. There's no way that anyone would be that stupid (except perhaps if they literally have brain damage or some disease that makes them mentall retarted). And if there is such a way, I don't want to know about it, because that's just plain sad. So, I definitely like this series, but Kujou is too much of an idiot.

Overall, I have to say that Carl's review is spot on though.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:17 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

I think you might like this strip then. Kujo being a moron turns me off of watching the show. It makes it seem to me that Victorique isn't so much intelligent as the people around her are just stupid. A response from someone who has read the books on whether not not Kujo is as dumb in the books would be appreciated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2