• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Avenger Price Increase

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:27 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Avenger was a series that was pushed on Bandai in order to get something else. They had to purchase the license for Avenger in order to get another series they actually wanted. This was mentioned on the AnimeOnDVD.com forums.

let me guess... Mai Hime?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:38 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Avenger was a series that was pushed on Bandai in order to get something else. They had to purchase the license for Avenger in order to get another series they actually wanted. This was mentioned on the AnimeOnDVD.com forums.

By who, and when?

Try searching for it.

Under the probably hundreds of thousands of posts with "avenger" in them? Here's a better idea- Why don't YOU search for it, and show it being said as part of either

1. a panel report, or-
2. Something Jerry Chu Said, because there's nothing worse than someone saying something, and when proof comes around, someone else has to search for it.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:31 pm Reply with quote
It could have been either Fantasic Children or PLANETES, since they were all licensed at the same time.

2004-07-31 -- Fantastic Children
2004-07-31 -- Avenger
2004-07-31 -- PLANETES

Those three were the only ones licensed by Bandai at Otakon 2004
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:37 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
It could have been either Fantasic Children or PLANETES, since they were all licensed at the same time.

2004-07-31 -- Avenger
2004-07-31 -- PLANETES

Just because they were announced at the same time, doesn't mean the rights for them were aqquired at the same time, nor do they have anything to do with each other, licensing wise. Companies (incase you hadn't noticed, paticularly some time ago) like to save announcements up for conventions.

So where is a post? Where is a solid statement?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:17 pm Reply with quote
That's not a big deal in the price. After all there are plenty of other online retailers that can still sell it for less. 'Deepdiscountdvd.com' sells a good deal of their stuff for a precentage lower than what other places sell them for. So $30 still isn't so bad. They want to make money off the title. After all they're sort of practically giving it away. So it really doesn't matter what it goes for. But anything over $40 would probably blow it's sales. Then you got to consider that eventually they will discontinue the title at a certain point.

I plan on buying it anyway. This saved me the time of having to wait for a complete release anyway. It wasn't the greatest series to come out of 'Bee Train', but I liked it. Smile So the price doesn't bother me.
Montusama

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:

2004-07-31 -- Avenger
2004-07-31 -- PLANETES

It's not even possible for that to be PLANETES since (to anidb's info)
Companies: Bandai Visual, Sunrise (Bandai Visual, Sunrise)

They would not have to "license" Avenger to get at PLANETES since they in some ways already had the "license"
ChrisBeveridge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Montusama wrote:
kusanagi-sama wrote:

2004-07-31 -- Avenger
2004-07-31 -- PLANETES

It's not even possible for that to be PLANETES since (to anidb's info)
Companies: Bandai Visual, Sunrise (Bandai Visual, Sunrise)

They would not have to "license" Avenger to get at PLANETES since they in some ways already had the "license"

That's incorrect. The only thing that Bandai Entertainment has said that is a given that they have licensed is all Gundam material.

As they've said at most panels and any other time asked, they have to compete for licenses just like everyone else, even for Bandai products. There may be certain shows that Bandai Japan decides that they want to have more control over and push through Bandai Entertainment, but the bulk of shows are all part of normal licensing deals.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with Chris here. BEI is a subsidiary of a subsidiary of Bandai, and Bandai Visual and Sunrise are both subsidiaries of Bandai as well.

In otherwords BEI isn't the same as Bandai, and it doesn't belong to Sunrise or Bandai Visual.

The fact that Bandai owns the other three obviously is important, but it doesn't mean that Bandai Entertainment owns the American rights to shows produced by Sunrise.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2