• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Sword Art Online's Reki Kawahara

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Omg someone PLEASE publish the english light novels >.< I hear there's multitudes better than the animes

The main difference between the light novel and the anime was that anime was pretty much everywhere, one episode is romance, next episode boss fight, then romance, then slice of life, then boss fight. The themes of each light novel was much more focused, which may make the novels better than the anime, for me it did. Other than these differences, the plot is the exact same.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
ANN: The lead female characters in both Sword Art Online and Accel World, Asuna and Kuroyukihime, I thought, they were very strong, capable female characters.

While she's not a shining star, Kuroyukihime can get a pass here. But Asuna? Someone clearly didn't watch Sword Art Online if they think she's a strong, capable character.

Ugh. Why did this crap get so popular?
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
While she's not a shining star, Kuroyukihime can get a pass here. But Asuna? Someone clearly didn't watch Sword Art Online if they think she's a strong, capable character.

As much as I hate the rape-cage story in the second half of the series, I don't think it wipes away her awesomeness in the first arc.
TheRoyalFamily

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Kawahara: As I said previously, the character of Asuna I might have created a little too perfectly for Sword Art Online. When teamed up with Kirito, there was hardly any problem that the two could not, as a pair, overcome. To increase the sense of urgency during the Fairy Dance story arc, I needed to make her unable to help Kirito. In caging her, I do have some regrets about putting her in a situation to build up a sense of danger for Kirito's adventure in the second story arc.

"I made her a Mary Sue, so to actually have some drama I made her into a Damsel In Distress. Oops."

At least he recognizes that he done goofed.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:23 am Reply with quote
TheRoyalFamily wrote:
Quote:

Kawahara: As I said previously, the character of Asuna I might have created a little too perfectly for Sword Art Online. When teamed up with Kirito, there was hardly any problem that the two could not, as a pair, overcome. To increase the sense of urgency during the Fairy Dance story arc, I needed to make her unable to help Kirito. In caging her, I do have some regrets about putting her in a situation to build up a sense of danger for Kirito's adventure in the second story arc.

"I made her a Mary Sue, so to actually have some drama I made her into a Damsel In Distress. Oops."

At least he recognizes that he done goofed.

When the term "Mary Sue" is being applied to freaking Asuna, a character who was simply declared a strong (in terms of fighting) character, but almost never actually did anything and had to be saved in her only moment of glory, then the term has truly lost all meaning.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:29 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Red Fox of Fire wrote:

As much as I hate the rape-cage story in the second half of the series, I don't think it wipes away her awesomeness in the first arc.

What awesomeness?
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:45 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Red Fox of Fire wrote:

What awesomeness?

^
Asuna only ever existed to enhance Kirito's Stu-ness.
relentlessflame

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:34 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Quote:
Kawahara: As I said previously, the character of Asuna I might have created a little too perfectly for Sword Art Online. When teamed up with Kirito, there was hardly any problem that the two could not, as a pair, overcome. To increase the sense of urgency during the Fairy Dance story arc, I needed to make her unable to help Kirito.

Yup, this is exactly what I figured at the time was the problem the author faced. The real problem with the overall SAO story is that the first arc already tracked the full development of the couple, so at that point there's nowhere obvious left to go, except for "insert situation that tears them apart". I think what a lot of people get upset about (and I'm not saying wrongfully) is the method the author chose to tear them apart by making Asuna powerless, which seems a bit crude and tasteless. I can see the intention of showing that she remained strong-willed and determined through it all (and was even able to use her wit to do what she could), but she just ended up being thwarted at every turn by people who had an unfair advantage (until Kirito was able to turn the tables by having an unfair advantage of his own). The whole theme of that aspect of the second arc was "power and powerlessness", but the illustrations and methods used makes it hard to get the point across.

(As the author is rewriting the first arc, I wonder if he will add elements that show Asuna more clearly in action without Kirito's involvement to that story too. I think the first arc on the whole is so tightly-wound that a lot of things are implied and never shown, leaving the door open to complaints like those seen above (too much protagonist-centricity, we never see Asuna ever actually do anything, etc.). I always found Asuna to have plenty of strength of character and will, but the arrangement does leave the door open to saying that she's only whatever is needed to support Kirito and nothing more. There too I don't think that was the intention, but the byproduct of only showing scenes that contribute directly to the rather short first-arc plot, and telling it almost-exclusively from Kirito's perspective.)
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:22 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

What awesomeness?

She was second-in-command of the best guild in SAO and the primary battlefield commander for the clearing parties. She had multiple bad-ass moments in fights, and she managed to put the hero on a leash and lead him around like a dog.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

What awesomeness?

She was second-in-command of the best guild in SAO and the primary battlefield commander for the clearing parties. She had multiple bad-ass moments in fights, and she managed to put the hero on a leash and lead him around like a dog.

Yeah, no. That's all irrelevant. Asuna is said to be the second in command of the best guild in SAO. When does ever do something related to this? She's said to be bad-ass, but it's all offscreen. She's said to be the primary battlefield commander, but actually point me to one goddamn time she did something related to that.

Asuna is merely the perfect example of Men Act, Women Are (note how Kirito is defined the by the things he does--taking out bosses, saving cute girls, kicking ass--while Asuna is defined by what she is--the second-in-command, battlfield commander, etc.).
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote
Hey, who else maxed out their «Cooking» skill? Laughing
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:08 am Reply with quote
I don't actually have a problem with that--I like to cook as well--, so I don't know why everyone latches onto her cooking skill as some kind of symbolic misogyny.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:19 am Reply with quote
because it unfortunately opens up a wide range of sandwich jokes
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote
But...she did give Kirito a sandwhich.

That he stupidly dropped for whatever reason, resulting in material for one of the best CRAWLING videos that unfortunately was taken off YT.
Kreion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:37 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

What awesomeness?

Yeah, no. That's all irrelevant. Asuna is said to be the second in command of the best guild in SAO. When does ever do something related to this? She's said to be bad-ass, but it's all offscreen. She's said to be the primary battlefield commander, but actually point me to one goddamn time she did something related to that.

Asuna is merely the perfect example of Men Act, Women Are (note how Kirito is defined the by the things he does--taking out bosses, saving cute girls, kicking ass--while Asuna is defined by what she is--the second-in-command, battlfield commander, etc.).

*points to Skull reaper fight* Oh look, she fights on a higher level than every other character bar the main character for the majority of the fight. They work in scync and as a team in a high level boss fight, it's even shown on screen! Amazing right.

I agree that there could be many more moments that depict her good fighting ability, but given that she isn't with the main character for the first half of the series there's no way she could. The only boss fight we see her sidelined in is Gleam Eyes, and every character is sidelined bar Kirito in that fight. Would you not also argue the Klien is also never shown to be amazing but is still high up on some guilds totem pole?

It is a legitimate concern given her powerlessness during the second half (then again look at the first Bleach arc and Rukia's position) but if you are only talking about SAO then unfortunately there aren't enough boss fights for her to show off her ability which are displayed, plus she is always up against Kirito: who is a more skilled player than her.

There are issue's with her character, especially since we don't get much detail on her in the first book, or at all really until Mother's Rosario. But her skill level is not something that can really be disputed, when she has a chance to be bad ass she is, what more do you want? The SAO world is not one where weak people can rise to the top, they would die. Simply being a 'raider' essentially in a high end guild is proof of skill. Sorry we can't watch every boss fight she was ever in without Kirito to satisfy your need for visual proof Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3