• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Localization

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:32 am Reply with quote
I liked this article overall, mainly for the excellent point about people who say "well, I hate this series and would never watch it, but please allow me to whine for thirty paragraphs about how it's been edited!" I don't have a problem with TV edits or changes so long as there's an uncut version (dub and sub) available too. Heck, if 4Kids would keep their word and bring out uncut versions of all their shows, I'd never complain about them again (note to 4Kids: releasing an uncut version means you release the WHOLE THING, not just two DVD's.)

Having said that, I can't help but say I found the article to be a tad slanted. I find it interesting that it focuses on a series that was a success because it was trickedout and doesn't bother to mention that there are series that failed for the same reason. CardCaptors (ironically mentioned once in the article and then never brought up again) is a great example. In trying to recut the show to make it look like it was a shonen series, Nelvana ended up killing the show's appeal to both genders-girls didn't want to see it because all the elements made to appeal to them had been hacked out, and boys didn't want to see it because it still came off as "too girly" for them (especially when they began airing the earlier episodes without Li in them, at which point they HAD to focus on Sakura.) If Nelvana had left the show as-is, they would have at least had a chance at appealing to girls.

And I don't care what anyone says about these genius infallible marketing teams-it's stupid to take a shojo series and try to turn it into a shonen series when there are mountains of series out there that are ALREADY SHONEN SERIES TO BEGIN WITH. Look, if I want a motorcycle, I don't buy an SUV, strip out the parts and try to build a motorcycle out of them. I buy a bloody motorcycle. But the point is, altering a show doesn't always help it succeed.

As for Initial D, good for it, I suppose. I never cared for that show. But Tokyopop's still not off the hook as long as there's no "un-tricked out" version of Rave Master available.
Hajime06

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:12 am Reply with quote
[quote="Wyvern"]Heck, if 4Kids would keep their word and bring out uncut versions of all their shows, I'd never complain about them again (note to 4Kids: releasing an uncut version means you release the WHOLE THING, not just two DVD's.)

Well, the thing is with the 4kids DVDs, they were not marketed well and all the clamoring fans who requested the DVDs never bought the things either. This may be a taboo statement, but truthfully most fans of 4Kids shows would rather download a fansub than support the "evil" 4Kids company.
smutchi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:20 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

I just want to know why "dub only" fans consist a large proportion of US anime fandom while are almost nonexistent in East Asia anime fandom.

I think it is because East Asia (and also Europe) consists of a lot of smaller countries compared to North America, which consists of only two English speaking countries.
Chinese is certainly spoken by a huge amount of people but at the same time I think the geographic situation in East Asia leads to a different view to other languages and cultures than in the US. Not to forget the connections and relations between the Asian countries which existed long before the US was even founded...
icepick314

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:36 am Reply with quote
i caught few episodes of Gakkou no Kaidan on fansub about a year ago....

i LOVED the storyline and the characters....not to mention love the ghost stories here and there....

i can't wait to hear how good dubbing is....

unfortunately, we all remember some of the awful dubbing done to fit American TV....Evangelion was just too damm awful...none of the voice matched anywhere near the character they portrayed....and voice "actors" all sounded like they're 8 year old kids....

these days, dubbings are getting pretty damm good in my opinion...studios like Geneon and ADV really take care on translation to get the story get across even when translated to English, voice actors really care how they sound and match to the character and their emotions....

one thing i HATE when series do not have sub option....few series like Sonic X and Megaman NT Warriors came out with dub only dvd....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:39 am Reply with quote
The problem I have with this article is that often I WOULD buy certain animes if they weren't so heavily altered. Case in point: One Piece. In its original format its one of my favorite animes, and I'd proudly buy a DVD if the dub was done decently, but the dub is ultimate teh suck. It's a shame it will be at least 20 years before before we get anywhere close to having an intact dub without any pointless changes. Honestly, the show doesn't even take place in Japan and has little-to-no Japanese cultural refferences in it, so what is even the point of its "localization"?

Also, another problem I have with the article is that it seems to assume that "localization" automatically means the show will reach wider audiences. In some cases this is true (I wouldn't even show the slightest interest in Duel Masters or Super Milk-Chan if not for their Americanized dubs), but in other cases it isn't. If you want proof of how unlocalized anime can reach wider audiences, just look at Disney's Studio Ghibli DVD releases. They actually sell better with the family/casual movie-watcher audiences than with hardcore anime fans! They also happen to contain some of the best dubs out there, with even the slightly altered-from-the-original Kiki's Delivery Service dub staying true enough to the source material to not put off most anime fans.

I hope the writer of the article sees this post and responds.
mirichan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:25 am Reply with quote
smutchi wrote:
I think it is because East Asia (and also Europe) consists of a lot of smaller countries compared to North America, which consists of only two English speaking countries.

Wow... Way to delete a full French province in there. Canada has 6-7 million people in one province speaking French... and not all Quebecers understand English to boot.

And I prefer my subs, thank you very much... Some dubs are okay when watched on TV but when I play my DVDs, it's Japanese audio with English subs (too bad they don't come in French but unfortunately, wrong DVD-region for that). And the only time we have subs on Quebec TV is when they show artsy movies, so it's not something I was raised with (like in Finland, for example), just a personal preference that I'd rather read subtitles than listen to an American voice using slangs and slurs where there was none before.
Stueypark

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:34 am Reply with quote
"In a perfect world, every anime and manga would be released with perfect translations, and there would be no need for tricked out releases because the North American mainstream audience would only want faithful adaptations."

Or rather, in a perfect world, all the viewers would be able to understand the original language and all cultural references contained within.

It's impossible to ever have a perfect translation, even with subtitles.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:42 am Reply with quote
La-Le-Lu-Le-Lo wrote:
Well, my take on the 'dub-only fanbase' in the States, is that the US, along with 'heavy dubbing' European countries like Germany, Italy and France, are use'd to having lingually homogenus media. Meaning that most shows on tv have been served to the viewers in their own language from a very early age.

In my country, Norway, only shows for children are dubbed.
All other shows that are not allready in the native tongue are subtitled. That means that Norwegians are acustomed to not only reading subtitles, but also listening to "strange" foreign languages that they don't fully understand.

Now, Americans, or maybe native english speakers in general, maybe get frustrated by having to suddenly read to get what's going on. A nice, understandable dub in ones native language is probably a welcome alternative.
If this is true, it is only natural that the 'hardcore' is in minority.

I don't have numbers to back this up, but im willing to bet that the opposite is true in Norway, and most countries where subbing is more common on TV.

The same theory mentioned above would apply to the 'heavy dubbing' countries.

Then again, i could be WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, I think you've hit upon a good point here, but there's one key component you're missing. Although the U.S. has been the preeminent military, political, and economic power in the world for decades, its greatest influence on the world has arguably been the spread of American culture. (Which is an odd thing to say in some senses, since the U.S. is one of the least culturally distinctive major countries in the world, but I digress.) Because of that, Americans are used to exporting their entertainment to other countries and only sampling the entertainment of other countries. We have some TV shows from the British, anime from Japan, bagpipe music from Scotland, kung fu movies from east Asia, and board games from Germany, but compared to the flow of American TV shows, movies, and music that has spread across the globe those are just a trickle. So one-sided is this flow that Americans don't have a need to seek out sources from other countries to provide an incredible diversity of entertainment, so most don't bother. Thus those in the States who regularly watch subtitled-only movies or shows are the exceptions rather than the rule.

That is why subtitled anime will never find its way into mainstream American entertainment, no matter how fervently sub-favoring American fans might hope or push for it. With rare exceptions like The Passion of Christ, anything subtitled is relegated to niche markets by the overwhelming volume of non-subtitled entertainment available. Thus dubbing anime is the only way it's ever going to become more popular than it currently is in the States and "localizing" it is the only way it's ever going to become mainstream.

And as much as we in the fan community harp on "butchered" dubs, it is also very likely that anime would not have become as popular in the States as it is without them. How many American anime fans born before 1980 can point to Battle of the Planets (which somewhat resembled super-hero cartoons of the time) or Robotech (which was like nothing else in American animation at the time) as the titles which first got them interested in anime, whether they recognized it as anime at the time or not?

(And please note that I am not advocating the need for more localization in anime, just recognizing the reason for its existence.)

Chris's editorial is a very good one which raises some valid points. There are definitely titles out there which are altered more in translation than they need to be, but too many people complain vociferously about minor or picayune points. Picking your battles if you're going to make a fuss about alterations is good advice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:50 am Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
unfortunately, we all remember some of the awful dubbing done to fit American TV....Evangelion was just too damm awful...none of the voice matched anywhere near the character they portrayed....and voice "actors" all sounded like they're 8 year old kids....

Have to totally disagree with you on that, and I'm hardly the only one who would. I personally found that to be an exceptionally good dub in every sense. (Gods, if you consider that a bad dub, then what do you consider a good one?)

I don't want to sidetrack this thread more than I already have, though, so I won't comment further. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:22 am Reply with quote
Wow! A thread that has actual good points and somewhat resembles a roundtable discussion. I like it.

SakechanBD wrote:
Actually, I wouldn't be so quick to jump to the conclusion that the anime referenced in the first post is Ghost Stories. I'm pretty sure Chris meant for the comment to apply generally (especially since he started writing the article long before the GS incident).

I would agree, even if you didn't reveal when the article was being written. There seems to be a lot of bandwagoning in this fanbase. Typically, this term applies to sports in which people start to cheer for a winner and then stop when they lose. In the case of anime, viewers champion an anime they want to be licensed, and then don't buy it and/or criticize any facet they can about it. Perhaps this is a by-product of the fansub saturation, I'm not entirely sure.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:33 am Reply with quote
I used to be one of those dub fans who prefer a literal translation. Now, I don't mind anime companies changing the script a bit as long as it doesn't affect the plot. I don't think they should butcher by edting or anything like that. They could do something like adding new jokes or something like that.

Edit: I thought the FLCL dub partly because some of the americanized jokes. They replaced references to Japanese bands with the Red Hot Chili peppers. They also did some other changes but they didn't affect the plot.
smutchi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:55 am Reply with quote
mirichan wrote:
smutchi wrote:

Wow... Way to delete a full French province in there. Canada has 6-7 million people in one province speaking French... and not all Quebecers understand English to boot.

Sorry about that, I should've mentioned Québec! Embarassed
I think you get the point, though, especially because the question was more about the US than about NA...
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:07 am Reply with quote
Hajime06 wrote:
Well, the thing is with the 4kids DVDs, they were not marketed well and all the clamoring fans who requested the DVDs never bought the things either. This may be a taboo statement, but truthfully most fans of 4Kids shows would rather download a fansub than support the "evil" 4Kids company.
Please refrain from speaking before you know what the hell you're talking about.

Yes, fans supported the damn DVDs. Why would we spend so much time complaining about how they refuse to release uncut DVDs and then turn around and say "Well 4Kids is evil so they don't get my money"? If you actually did some research, you'd discover that the uncuts actually sold well (I know, impossible).

Guess what else? They got practically ZERO ADVERTISEMENT. Selling good without a single print ad. Imagine that. Maybe there is some demand for uncut DVDs after all.

[quote=editorial]Tricked out titles of course include Initial D, Cardcaptors and Robotech. Many anime purists hate what Tokyopop, Nelvana and Harmony Gold did to these titles. Unfortunately most purists fail to respect the fact that these companies are in business to make money, and they came to the educated, researched conclusion that their titles would sell better in "tricked out" format.[/quote]

Um, Cardcaptors was NEVER successful. The subtitled DVDs actaully finished, while the crappy edited DVDs were canceled. This should say something.

And you can't really say "Cardcaptor Sakura wouldn't have done better on TV", because that's a theory that's never been tested.

Quote:
Let's look at Initial D specifically; Tokyopop saw a growing North American drifting / import tuner market and realized that Initial D could appeal to them. A look at Initial D's sales numbers shows a certain amount of success in this market, frankly, Initial D is selling more copies than it ever would have if it were sold only to anime fans. David Williams believes strongly that it would not have sold as many copies had it not been “tricked out”.

Then David Williams is wrong. There's no "untricked" version of Initial D, so it's impossible to make a comparison. As far as I know, all that's on the DVD release is a watered down sub and a tricked out dub.

Quote:
These tricked out releases that are targeted to mainstream audiences also offer the industry, and indirectly fans, another benefit. They act as "gateway titles," titles that introduce new fans to anime. This obviously benefits the industry because it increases potential sales of new series. This, in turn, benefits other fans, because as the market grows, it becomes steadily more possible to bring a greater array of new titles out sooner.

Perhaps. But perhaps people would have bought it regardless. The fact that it was "tricked out" didn't make a difference. In fact, it may have gotten more sales because of the "anime enthusiasts" who don't want a bad dub.

Quote:
Ultimately, what most fans want, in terms of localization, is a nearly literal dub and an even closer to literal subtitle track. Some adaptation of sentence structure and what not is required to make the translations work, but no meaning or innuendo should be added, removed or altered.

What? My least concern with stuff like One Piece is that they edit out blood and nudity. It's when they start doing pointless shit like changing the music and oh, cutting about 30 episodes.

Quote:
It was the humble opinion of all the panelists, myself included, that if fans get a "fan-friendly" release they really shouldn't complain about what companies chose to do with the other versions that they may chose to release on TV or a second DVD release. We stated for example that fans of Initial D have no reason to complain about Tokyopop's "tricked out" release, because Tokyopop also released a subtitled version of the show with a literal translation, the original music and no edits or cuts.

I don't think wanting a good dub is asking for too much. I personally prefer watching anime in English, so I kind of get screwed over whenever something like this happens.

Quote:
Unfortunately this conclusion of ours fell apart rather quickly when we were reminded that some anime fans prefer dubs to subs. In fact, while a preference for subtitles was once the defining mark of a "true anime fan," there are now more anime fans that prefer English dubs. Like their subtitle loving brethren, these purists demand a literal adaptation with no changes, the only difference is that they want dubbed it in English, not subtitled.

I don't demand a 100% literal true to the original word for word adaptation. I don't know what fans do, but it's not my concern. I know things have to be changed. Japanese jokes won't work in English.

Quote:
These fans, who now make up that majority of the anime enthusiast market, are the ones who are cheated when companies release "tricked out dubs" combined with true-to-the-original subs. Like any other aspect of a release, and in fact any other topic at all, understanding the issue is required to effectively lobby for change.

What I understand from this issue is that *certain* dub companies are under the incorrect mindset that localization makes something work.

Quote:
I don't feel that anyone should "shut up and be happy with whatever they get," but knowing when and how to complain, and accepting a few compromises, will get anime fans more of what they want.

I can compromise with 4Kids. I want an uncut DVD release (which they have promised many times and failed to deliver) for their shows, and I also want a dub with original music, accurate translation, and for them to NOT chop out 32 episodes worth of material.

Quote:
In a perfect world, every anime and manga would be released with perfect translations, and there would be no need for tricked out releases because the North American mainstream audience would only want faithful adaptations. Unfortunately the world isn't perfect, so we have to accept that sometimes companies will have to decide between us and the mainstream market. And given the choice between selling a couple thousand and tens of thousands of copies, what would you chose ?

If a show is good it'll sell tens of thousands of copies on its own. It doesn't need any added crap mixed in.

Quote:
Like I said, you don't have to quietly accept every tricked out adaptation, but pick your battles wisely. And for the love of god, don't complain about a title that you weren't going to buy anyways, it's as bad as supporting the movement to get a particular title licensed and then not buying it when it is licensed. In the long run, it kills the credibility of anime fans in general, and makes companies less likely to listen to our requests.

If I like a show, I'll buy the DVDs and watch it on TV if it doesn't get the hackjob treatment. I don't support good dubs in general.[/img]

Last edited by Yashouzoid on Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:10 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Gakkou no Kaidan/Ghost Stories?

Actually, I wrote this editorial long before ADV announced that title. I just never finished polishing it up for posting till recently.

-t
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:36 am Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:

This post is just so laughable I can't ignore it.

Evangelion was not dubbed to fit American TV. When have you ever seen Eva broadcast in the U.S.? NOWHERE. The only time it was shown was when Cartoon Network showed the first 2 episodes for Giant Robot Week in 2003. They edited it (not ADV) and the dub was the same as the uncut (in reference to what wasn't cut out). And even if ADV did do their own edited dub, the uncut version would also be available.

And if you think the VAs sounded like 8-year-olds, damn, those kids hit puberty fast.

And if you didn't know, Eva premieres on Adult Swim Thursday, October 20 at 12:30.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6