• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Holds Survey for New Dragon Ball Z Blu-rays

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

It's obviously too darkened.

I'll leave the remastering to Toei. It's their show.

Read the entire blog post I linked to. You'll see that the Dragon Boxes were, despite Toei remastering their own prints, way too bright and over saturated. This why every human and saiyan character have those overly pink skin tones for example. And then there's the fact that Toei's prints were starting to degrade, which is why we have those infamous turquoise skies. Let's also not forget that the Funimation's bluray's show more of the frame on all four sides too.

The one issue I do have with Funi's bluray's though is the fact that episode one looks worse than the rest of the set, supposedly because it's a generation removed from when all the other episodes' prints were struck.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I've seen all the articles written about the Level Sets. They went too far in the other direction and made the picture too dark. Even the original broadcast wasn't that dark.

I prefer Toei's remaster. It's not perfect, but it's the best one available.

I still think the Level Sets are good, though. I just prefer to leave remastering of anime to the Japanese.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I took the survey to "cast my vote" for the continuation of the BDs.

I "+1" the idea of having the other dubs on there. For me, DBZ was the Ocean Group dub. I never could really adapt to the Funimation version where Chris Sabat played every character worth listening to. I like Sabat as an actor but there's no disguising his voice, leading to obvious awkwardness when he's voicing multiple main characters.

I'll buy it regardless, as my eyes protest whenever I watch something in SD on a 1080/1440 display and I did enjoy DBZ enough to buy but I would appreciate the original dub (acknowledging that it's a pipe dream due to reasons others have mentioned in this thread).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
It wouldn't make sense to put the Ocean dub on a regular release, because there are scenes the Ocean cast never dubbed. Remember, Saban and Funimation cut out a lot of things (sort of a proto-Kai) when they first released the show. Entire episodes were gutted.

And the less said about the later Westwood/Ocean dub with Kirby Morrow as Goku, the better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sonryu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote
My reply to the survey was DBZ needs to be 4:3 (the ORIGINAL format), but I will NOT buy it on blu-ray. I've bought too many of FUNi's cow-milking rereleases on dvd already, so I consider myself DONE with DBZ since I own the DragonBoxes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Obviously voted 4:3, and I find it astounding they're asking us to choose in the first place. Don't they remember the backlash plenty of people gave them? Then again, most casuals either won't notice, or care about whether or not it'll be 16:9 or 4:3.

Considering the Dragon Boxes are OOP and not everyone is fortunate to have them, I'd support a properly done BD release in 4:3. It would make DBZ in good quality more widely available, and make the orange bricks almost entirely useless (There would still be DBZ on DVD for those with BD players, and they're very, very dirt cheap).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tylerr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
it would me amazing if they cut it down a bit like they did with kai.

Only thing i'm not a fan of in kai is the new voice acting changes, but i pushed through them because the pacing in the original dbz has me fast forwarding 90% of the time.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
it would me amazing if they cut it down a bit like they did with kai.

Only thing i'm not a fan of in kai is the new voice acting changes, but i pushed through them because the pacing in the original dbz has me fast forwarding 90% of the time.

You mean the superior Kai English dub voices bother you? The VAs who can actually act? The ones reading a script that wasn't entirely made up by Funimation writers? Razz
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Wait, is Ocean Group really making a Kai dub? Is there a particular reason?

ActionJacksin wrote:

You mean the blue bricks from funimation? Nope, they're in the proper 4:3 aspect ratio as intended, as is GT.

A relief, yet it makes me want to buy the sets. Not a bad thing, but I just know that, against all odds, Funi will announce a DB or GT Dragon Box once I've gone and done it. Well, I can at least hold off until I've finally finished my DBZ sets.

penguintruth wrote:

You mean the superior Kai English dub voices bother you? The VAs who can actually act? The ones reading a script that wasn't entirely made up by Funimation writers?

Watching Kai dubbed made me wish that Funi would re-dub DBZ with the current voice actors and a more accurate script. With Kai, I don't mind switching between the Japanese and English audio options.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
Wait, is Ocean Group really making a Kai dub? Is there a particular reason?

Well, Scott McNeil seems to think they are, but it's been years and nobody's heard line one of it, so it's starting to look like it's not going to happen.

As for why, I'm not sure. There already exists an accurate and fairly well acted English dub for the show (a big departure from the regular Z dub) by Funimation. I guess Terry Klassen needs the work.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
Blu rays please! How ever you guys decide, just dont make it a hundred blu ray discs. We know how much room those hold.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:20 am Reply with quote
Is it 100% certain that Ocean Group only recorded for the censored version? How do you know they don't have the uncut audio stored away?

The ONLY version of Oceans DBZ online are TV rips and VHS, and we know VHS have the TV version, look at Gundam Wing for example. But luckily DVDs contained the uncut version because they record for both at the same time.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:25 am Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
Is it 100% certain that Ocean Group only recorded for the censored version? How do you know they don't have the uncut audio stored away?

The ONLY version of Oceans DBZ online are TV rips and VHS, and we know VHS have the TV version, look at Gundam Wing for example. But luckily DVDs contained the uncut version because they record for both at the same time.

There's literally no reason to assume Funimation produced an uncut version of the Vancouver acted 1995 Dragon Ball, and 1996 Dragon Ball Z dubs. You only produce an uncut dub if you plan on releasing the show on home video. Back in the 1990s Funimation did not do home video releases internally. They would license that out to outside companies like Trimark for the '95 DB, and Pioneer for the '96 DBZ. Making an uncut dub would've been an added cost for a small company on a risky project. It also needs to be stated that neither Pioneer, nor Trimark released any of their Funimation produced content uncut despite both producing DVD releases. Pioneer did co-produce uncut dubs of the first three movies with Funimation and the Canadian cast.

The alternate Blue Water/Ocean dubs of DB/Z/GT likely have no uncut version either. These dubs have never been officially released on home video anywhere in the world, and were produced on the cheap. Again, there's no reason to add extra costs to that project.
Kerberous

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:45 am Reply with quote
What a pointless survey.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:36 am Reply with quote
I would love a whole new set, but instead of just DBZ getting the dragon box treatment, they should releast it all, as in the ultimate dragon box collection, consisting of all the shows, in matching blueray chipboard boxes, I would buy that. I didn't like the idea of only DBZ getting the nice boxset, while the others got a cheaper release. They dont look goos together on my shelf.

So I say give us an ultimate release with all shows, and make sure all the boxes match, and look good on my shelf.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3