• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otakon 2013 - Sentai Filmworks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
here is what was posted:

Quote:
NOTE: The following 3 shows will be our very first candidates for the Subttiled Only Blu-ray experiment. Don't worry, this will not be a trend, but we've been hearing a lot of fans asking about us doing this so we thought we'd give it a shot. Smile
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
"We're gonna test this out, but the results absolutely don't matter" is what they're saying there, I gather. Then, why bother.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
NOTE: The following 3 shows will be our very first candidates for the Subttiled Only Blu-ray experiment. Don't worry, this will not be a trend, but we've been hearing a lot of fans asking about us doing this so we thought we'd give it a shot. Smile

What is to worry about Sentai being smart with their money by not spending $120,000-150,000 (my estimate for what dubbing 12 episodes cost) in dubbing series that may not produce enough sales to recoup the production costs and turn a profit.

NIS America has been operating under the sub-only BD model for a while. If it is working for NISA, I would think that it should also work for Sentai or any other R1 company. Personally I would rather see a sub-only BD release of Chuu-2 rather than a bilingual DVD-only release with a crappy Steven Foster dub.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Quote:
The scene from episode eight that was missing from the simulcast will be restored in this release, but due to licensing issues, the song has been changed.

That's still terrible, that was one of the better scenes in the entire show.

No, it wasn't, really. The series had a ton of excellent scenes.

If they can get a truly public-domain Russian song for that scene, it would be just as good (though I suppose having the song and the character not have the same name would be a loss).
Nayu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Of course, they're picking a show that a whole five people are excited to see released in any form to do this experiment with.... And they already saw it subbed.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I knew we would start seeing sub-only blurays from Sentai at some point, even if it is just an experiment. It's good to see some lower profile titles get the HD treatment.

It is a little bitter sweet that Humanity Has Declined will be one of the experiments though, as I really enjoyed the show and was hoping it would get dubbed. To know I will be able to own in 1080p helps with the disappointment though. Sub-only bluray is better than sub-only DVD any day.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
"We're gonna test this out, but the results absolutely don't matter" is what they're saying there, I gather. Then, why bother.

It seems like the "trend" remark is trying to say to not worry about them dropping dubbing entirely.

A more coherent way to say it would be to say this is not dropping the dub from a release, its upgrading a sub-only release to BD. If that was the case, then it could well be only a handful of series that would be in the middle of justifying a BD but not a dub.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:33 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

It seems like the "trend" remark is trying to say to not worry about them dropping dubbing entirely.

A more coherent way to say it would be to say this is not dropping the dub from a release, its upgrading a sub-only release to BD. If that was the case, then it could well be only a handful of series that would be in the middle of justifying a BD but not a dub.

This is what I was thinking as well. I believe they just wanted to assure dub fans that they weren't abandoning them all together. These shows would have most likely sub-only DVDs if they hadn't decided to experiment more with bluray.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the Kokoro Connect OVAs

I think it's misleading to call them OVAs and separate them with a large time gap. People buying the first set who didn't know any better would think that's it; or they may not expect the OVAs to conclude the show. The last 4 eps directly continue the simulcasted eps, they were released as part of the shows' home video in Japan, not as separate OVAs, and they were also broadcasted on TV (at least AT-X AFAIK)

Quote:
As for Girls und Panzer, Sentai also has the OVA, but it will be released separately from the TV series. However, the character intro episodes (episodes 5.5 and 10.5) will be included with the TV release, but will be subtitled-only. The scene from episode eight that was missing from the simulcast will be restored in this release, but due to licensing issues, the song has been changed.

Jeez, what a mess. I'm still buying it, but why not include the OVA? As far as Katyusha well, I guess it's understandable, but it still doesn't seem impossible as some make it sound, so long as you are willing to pony up more money.

angelmcazares wrote:
Quote:

What is to worry about Sentai being smart with their money by not spending $120,000-150,000 (my estimate for what dubbing 12 episodes cost) in dubbing series that may not produce enough sales to recoup the production costs and turn a profit.

NIS America has been operating under the sub-only BD model for a while. If it is working for NISA, I would think that it should also work for Sentai or any other R1 company. Personally I would rather see a sub-only BD release of Chuu-2 rather than a bilingual DVD-only release with a crappy Steven Foster dub.

That is what I have always thought from the beginning and mentioned it before. NISA's strategy makes more sense than Sentai's artificial policy of requiring dubs whenever there's a BD release. Decoupling dubs from BD releases and evaluating them separately seems much more rational. I'm definitely buying those 3 titles and hopefully this means the end of subbed DVD-only releases from Sentai, most of which I have not bought, and that was not due to a lack of a dub.

They could also finance a dub by something like: if people buy X amount of sub-only BD releases in the initial run, they'll produce a dub and provide it at a discount to those early buyers. Alternatively, this can be a preorder type system, where if the goal is met, early copies of the subbed BD releases are sent out, then later a general retail release with dub is used. Otherwise, if the preorder goal is not met, then the initial subbed BD releases is what is used for the general retail release.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Quote:
As for Girls und Panzer, Sentai also has the OVA, but it will be released separately from the TV series. However, the character intro episodes (episodes 5.5 and 10.5) will be included with the TV release, but will be subtitled-only. The scene from episode eight that was missing from the simulcast will be restored in this release, but due to licensing issues, the song has been changed.

Jeez, what a mess. I'm still buying it, but why not include the OVA?

I imagine that's because the OVA has not been released in Japan.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I imagine that's because the OVA has not been released in Japan.

Yeah I realize that, but isn't it still coming out later this year? before the planned US release I mean.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
just to be clear here, they have the 6 ova's that came with each volume, not the Anzio OVA
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
As far as I know, there hasn't been a solicitation for the Japanese release of the Anzio OVA yet.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I would have sworn that an old Russian song like that would be considered public domain though.

The song itself probably is public domain, but the performance of it isn't.
And that's probably where the license for it got stuck.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote
The performance is just the Japanese voice actresses of Nonna and Katyusha singing in Russian. Not sure how that could be particularly hard to obtain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3