• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your thoughts of Elfen Lied

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweet_lavender

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:40 am Reply with quote
Blade+ wrote:
Elfen Lied is my favorite. anime serie but there are people out there who realy don't like it... beats me why. I mean it has a great story line and is drawn very good too. in short i LOVE it. Twisted Evil

Probably people don't like it because of too much blood and depression. Elfen Lied was basically a sad story and most people thought of it as an negative story. But to me, it's one if my favorites. Elfen Lied was really awesome including the vectors. I just wonder why Elfen Lied has only 13 episodes...I mean because the manga continued and exceeded than the series.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:55 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
-I'm not an expert... but why does this come off as a Harem show? Could it be that I was bribed by the fan service into feeling sympathy for the characters?

Anyway, what say you... err... people that watch HAREM shows? (if there are any in this thread)

I didn't really think of Elfen Lied as a harem. It had the one element of a male protagonist living in a house with 4 other girls. Other than that I didn't see anything harem like. There wasn't any perverted humor at all which is typical of most harem. And the nudity that was shown was mainly meant for realism not for sexual arousal. If it was meant for that they should have added some "boing boing" to them and done some close ups.
Anthony P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:23 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
DKL wrote:
-I'm not an expert... but why does this come off as a Harem show? Could it be that I was bribed by the fan service into feeling sympathy for the characters?

Anyway, what say you... err... people that watch HAREM shows? (if there are any in this thread)

I didn't really think of Elfen Lied as a harem. It had the one element of a male protagonist living in a house with 4 other girls. Other than that I didn't see anything harem like. There wasn't any perverted humor at all which is typical of most harem. And the nudity that was shown was mainly meant for realism not for sexual arousal. If it was meant for that they should have added some "boing boing" to them and done some close ups.

Ohhh. . . what about the bath scenes? Or when spoiler[Nyuu fondles Yuka's breasts?]
annomandaris

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:06 pm Reply with quote
the reason why I dont thik Elfen Lied qualifies as a real harem style show is simply because 2 of the girls are in no way sexually active towards the single male member, one of them is emotionally attatched rather than physically and the other is 1. completely clueless or 2. emotionally attatched depending on the current personality.

yes you have nudity, yes you have fondling and embarrassing situations once or twice but in the context of the show they feel somewhat correct.

the series is great, while overhyped I really found it enjoyable, it was also extremely sexy, more so than any hentai I have seen(and thats a lot) simply because the characters were emotionally active rather than dead.

relationships rock!
Anthony P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's just me, but I thought the fondling bits were a tad too much. I wouldn't say those scenes were overbearing or tasteless, though; I'd just say said scenes were a little indulgent on the series's producers' behalf. I'm being nit-picky.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:32 pm Reply with quote
What about:

"THEY'RE STRIPED!!!" Razz

Actually, I liked the fanservicey moments... it was fun

Anyway, the VIBE *?!* feels like it came out of a HAREM *must be because of the character designs*

I'm actually surprised that no one really uses that as an argument...

If anything though, it makes for a good debate... so... yeah, if you have anything to say on the subject, please do *gives us a little more direction... I guess*

So... what about the device of having the whole "childhood memories" thing played in? Is that a common HAREM show device?

I need to repeat this, I don't know JACK about HAREM shows, so someone with a background needs to inform me since I'm making assumptions based on vague interpretation

... wait, I think I learned of that in GENSHIKEN o_o

Oh yeah, plus, I was using this thing:

http://www.answers.com/harem%20anime

----------------------

So... what I'm trying to say is, that while this might not be a straight-out HAREM show... does it use some of the devices? *or whatever you call them*

Or not?

Last edited by DKL on Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
bumjohnson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I thank one time that may drive poeple away from it. Its because of all the nudeness in it. Embarassed But come on ep 1 like the frist 10 min's was like the greatest I have ever wached in an anime. But if you realy thank about, would you give them girls some then to waer? unkowen they would trun around and kill you. And its very sad Crying or Very sad , but there are some good funny places into at the same time. But they do not equl out. Mosty like an evil sadness, You just can't help to feal some thine for them.
Nirvana

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:51 pm Reply with quote
bumjohnson wrote:
I thank one time that may drive poeple away from it. Its because of all the nudeness in it. Embarassed But come on ep 1 like the frist 10 min's was like the greatest I have ever wached in an anime. But if you realy thank about, would you give them girls some then to waer? unkowen they would trun around and kill you. And its very sad Crying or Very sad , but there are some good funny places into at the same time. But they do not equl out. Mosty like an evil sadness, You just can't help to feal some thine for them.

I dont get half of what you said, but when you said that what drives people away is the nudity, I would agree. After I saw the first half of the first episode, I didn't want to see it anymore. But after myf riends were telling me about how great it was, I wathced the rest of the series that day.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:06 pm Reply with quote
If you define harem as a male living with multiple females (which seems to be the standard definition), then, technically, it is harem. I don't think romantic interest in X number of females is a requirement. I think everyone would call Happy Lesson a harem anime, but (as I understand it) none of the females have a romantic interest in the main character.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:06 am Reply with quote
why would they bother clothing the diclonius?

they think of them as less than human and so not worth clothing, also to get clothes on them they would have to get pretty close and we all know what happens when you get too close...

yes you could argue they put the helmet over Lucy but she was compliant when that happened, Nana was not a psychotic killer and Mariko was threatened with exploding if she didn't comply so in the cases where they do clothe them it seems its only for propriety in public or an attampt to control them(I am assuming that Lucy's helmet thing was meant to do something like that)

and as for harem, I suppose you dont need a romantic entanglement with the lead male but you do kind of need at least some 'innapropriate' moments and I can only think of 3 in the entire series.
1. Kouta trying to clothe Nyuu
2. Nyuu forcing him to hold her breasts
3. Yuka slipping and showing her underwear.

I dont count Yuka asking Kouta if he would play with her breasts because it was done in a serious way.
WesW

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I saw this series the first time this spring. It was one of the shows which helped hook me on anime. I just happened to watch it for the second time this week, and it was just as emotional as it was the first time. The first time I watched the whole thing in a single day, whereas this time I managed to draw it out over a few days, to better appreciate all the little things I missed the first time, when I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen next (the individual ep cliff-hangers are some of the best you will ever see, from a story/directoral point of view).

There are momentary flashbacks throughout the series, starting with the first ep, which are crucial to understanding how and why the characters act and react as they do, so I highly recommend multiple viewings before offering any conclusive criticisms. This series packs more into 13 eps than many 26 ep series, and more than 50 eps of shows like Naruto (which I think is a great series, btw), so you have to really pay attention while viewing it.
The flashbacks help explain why the cousins decide not to turn the diclonae (sp?) over to the authorities, something for which they are frequently called stupid by posters. After the second viewing I also disagree with the perception that the male cousin is a strerotypical milquetoast lead of a harem-type anime, as has also been charged. The guy is just caught up in a crazy situation, which develops over a short number of days, and does the best he knows how. I came away with a lot of respect for the way he handled things, and he showed a lot of bravery at the end, especially considering what had happened to him as a child.

I had forgotten about how extensive the nudity was, and sometimes it can be uncomfortable considering the ages of the girls, but I think that it fits with how explicit and raw the series is in general, and it's never done in a sexually arousing manner. In fact, I would consider it to be more accurately described as "nakedness", meaning laid bare or defenseless, rather than "nudity", which connotates a sexual situation.
There are some juvenile humor situations which involve sexual humor, such as those described above, but with Nyuu they involve a total innocent, juxtaposed with how we normally view any nudity from a "corrupted" or hormonally-dominated attitude. I keep flashing back to the Adam and Eve story as a reference, and how they were initially not embarrassed by nudity.
As some comedic breaks are needed considering all the horrible things which occur the rest of the time.

An all-time classic anime, and perhaps without peer as an anime horror story. If this series doesn't leave you emotionally drained by the end, then you need to have your pulse checked.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:48 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:

1. Kouta trying to clothe Nyuu
2. Nyuu forcing him to hold her breasts
3. Yuka slipping and showing her underwear.

... what about:

-Nyu fondling Yuka *which... was great*
-Nyu barging out of the bath
-That girl that came into contact with Nyu and then PEEK-A-BOO! Fan Service

... when I look back on it... there was a lot of fan service...

Anyway, I really liked the series (I have a several page commentary stuffed away somewhere... I'll probably unload it out here if another discussion comes up)

But I'm just surprised no one (okay, not that many people) ever attack the series from this angle before...

strange

*I think Chris Beveridge at AoD did though... it was fun*

... no wait, this IS discussion... I'll probably unload it tonight *after reading through it again to make sure my stuff is consistent*
2Real

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:44 pm Reply with quote
haha, ill let u kno when i get done watching it. i just got it 2day and it suposed to be a exclent show. in a post done yesterday under my name 2Real there is a link to get to the trailer (preview) of the show. ill see if i can find the link for you.

ok here is the Trailer:

http://www.advfilms.com/titles/elfenlied/trailers.php
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I had a great time the first time I went through it. The right blend of sickening violence and bright cuteness was just too much to resist. I actually thought it was something of a parody when I watched the first episode, swapping the foregrounds of a violent sci-fi series and a romantic comedy to show the ridiculousness of both sides, but then I watched the rest of the series, and I just had to understand that the series works in extremes, and that's the only way it could work.

It's still entertaining when I rewatched it, but after being desensitized to the shock value, the only things that held up were the romance between Kohta and Lucy/Nyu and the Chief Kurama sideplot. Yuka also annoys me, but I have a pet peeve with "girls being reunited with their childhood sweethearts and obsessing over it" plots. I had a childhood sweetheart who moved away in fourth grade, and if she was that obsessive about me if we met again, I would probably take three nervous steps back and run away. But everything else was a lot less enjoyable the second time around, so it's not one of my favorites even if I do like it.
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:44 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching Elfen Lied recently and just have to say that the series actually went way beyond my expectations and now has become one of my favorite anime of all time. The final episode ended the series really well and I initially felt numb by the time the epilogue finished, but the next day I just kept thinking about it and just got more and more sad until I was close to tears Crying or Very sad. This series is now officially the saddest anime I've ever seen and the conclusion, which I fully expected to disappoint me based on past experience, just completely blew me away and just ended the series so perfectly that I was in disbelief. Some people didn't like the conclusion but I really thought it couldn't have possibly ended any other way and on such a high note.

Some people want to see a 2nd season, but I agree with others that to continue would probably ruin an already near perfect series that ended with one of the most satisfactory conclusions I've ever seen in anime. A 2nd season would be nice, but I'd rather the creators not bother if they think they're not up to the monumental task of maintaining the quality of the past episodes. The pacing is just about as perfect as can be for a 13-epiosode series but would probably run out of steam if it were extended to a 26+.

I am still very depressed right now after finishing this series about 2 days ago so I think I'm going to have to watch some happy anime like Bottle Fairy or Cardcaptor Sakura to cheer me up. Just a few hours ago, I watched the 4th episode of Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok and I nearly cried watching that for some reason Confused.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5