• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
C – Control – The Money and Soul of Possibility (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I got kinda turned off by the veteran entrepreneur guy who gave a somewhat pretentious sounding pseudo-philosophical speech about money and then proceeded to have a monster duel where he trashed a desperate newcomer. I could be interested in this show, but I'd rather it picked either being an intelligent examination of money, power, and corruption, or a typical, if stylish, shonen action series. Doing the two at the same time seems to undermine both.
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:00 am Reply with quote
My boyfriend is here.

Completely threw me off. I would have bet my life that she had the hots for our poor MC. That still may be proven true, cause this little harlot is sending out some vibes to my boy Kimimaro. I swear when those guys asked her out for drinks that she was stalling so he could step up and invite her over to study.

Anyways, the slick-hatted, maniacal red-headed guy definitely seems capable of carrying a show. I didn't get too much of what the plot's going to be like from the first episode, but I have a feeling this is going to be a good one. I'd explain more but.........

My boyfriend is here.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My boyfriend is here.

I have a feeling she is being set up as a villain(or tool of one) of some kind. I got the feeling that the main character was keeping his distance from her, not because he was shy, but because he doesn't trust her very much.
jxsilicon9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:10 am Reply with quote
The love interest is an uppity skank.Bashing him because he couldn't get a cellphone and works for everything he has. Too bad he didn't put that gold digger in her place.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 2.

I'd so love to punch that girl. I'm like a dog, I hate people talking to me while I eat, and I hate them even more if they talk about what I'm eating, and you can multiply it if I already dislike the person. Hey, if you already have a boyfriend just go away damn you female dog.
Either way, another interesting episode. That thing about the black money really intrigued me, and I think I've figured out most of what it means.
I think I've found a connection between the protagonist and that guy which would only be revealed later on if proven true. Well, I like it that way, and I can think of recent anime with similar events.
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:31 am Reply with quote
Oh, Haruka Tomatsu is a joy to listen to as that demon girl. spoiler[I'm not going to make a joke involving the word "asset", no.]

I'm however annoyed by the typical shounen tropes. Let's throw the guy into a life-and-death situation with zero explanations, yay, then he wins because of novice's luck... or something more, dun-dun-dunnn.
SgtMustang

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:12 am Reply with quote
What if you took "The Financial District" to represent organized crime, and making "Deals" as dealing drugs.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:23 am Reply with quote
This show is okay I guess. It still feels too early to have asound opinion on the show. The fight scene was decent but there must be something more to Noitamina show.

Was anyone else bothered by the CG rendering of Masakaki in the 2nd episode? I suspect that it might be deliberately off-putting but man it was bizarre.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, technically Masakaki isn't human, so the CG doesn't look weird if you look at it from that perspective. Perhaps he's some sort of computer hologram and the producers wanted to make the audience feel it.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote
The first episode was a little too 'messy' for me. I might check out the next episode but right now I'm still feeling a bit off put by the first episode.

However, I did really like the protagonist. The only thing about him that disappointed me was when he used the money, I didn't really mind any of his other flaws. I also found it irritating that he was taken to the finacial district when nothing had been explained to him.

I guess I'm disappointed because I was expecting something a lot darker and didn't think that the finacial district would be set in another world.
spoony

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:39 pm Reply with quote
A show about being in college and desperate for money! Finally, an anime I can relate to! Anime hyper

Seriously, though, I think it's kind of cool how they took such heavy relevant current issues (bad economy, possibility of financial collapse) and turned it into an entertaining shonen-y show. Being under a lot of financial stress myself, I'm liking the balance they're striking between acknowledging serious financial issues and telling an exciting, actiony story. It's hard to tell so far where this one will go intellectually, but right now it's very entertaining, and I'm happy with that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this series, too, although I am disappointed that they really aren't tying the battles into any kind of real world analogy other than tossing out financial terms like "white knight" or whatever. And to have Yoga spoiler[win his second straight battle with another "scorched earth" attack seems fairly unimaginative.] No matter, there's plenty else to be interested in. Certainly, the consequences of losing a "Deal" are pretty dire. Although, I have to wonder how broken up spoiler[Professor was now that he no longer had three kids to feed.]
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:59 am Reply with quote
I think he was decently broken up inside considering spoiler[his wife says he came home drunk one night screaming about the kids. Shows he has some grief. And he also tells Yoga he can't lose because he's the only other person in the world with any memory of his children.]

I don't know how many episodes this show is supposed to have but I'm hoping we get a little more plot development in the next episode specifically along the lines of spoiler[Yoga, Mikuni, and the girl from The Organization. You can tell from the OP that Yoga's probably not joining Mikuni since they're fighting. About time for The Organization chick to come talk to Yoga.]
jxsilicon9

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:24 am Reply with quote
Anyone know what show/movie was on the TV? That the people with meerkats on their heads was watching.It was shown right before episode 4 started.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Dunno, but why don't you try asking the fansub group?

So I've seen this compared to shonen, but by now I'm quite confident that this is entirely something else. Sure, I'd absolutely love longer and detailed fights, but I'm also enjoying all the other aspects of the show.

I think I like this formula better. Noitamina is so much better when it focus on a drama show, and another weird seinen show, like when they did Mononoke and Trapeze.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6