• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Crayon Shin-Chan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Examinee 623

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:52 am Reply with quote
Yahoo! I for one cannot freakin' wait. If they're smart, they'll get someone clever and witty like Steven Foster to pen the dub and it'll be great, as long as they rein him in a bit.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:12 am Reply with quote
tempest: Why would Disney license it? Even edited, his misbehavior would get a lot of hate mail.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:24 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
tempest: Why would Disney license it? Even edited, his misbehavior would get a lot of hate mail.

That's probably why they didn't license it. But Disney's option appears (speculation on my part based) to be the reason that Shin-chan never made it out of Japan, with the exception of a brief forray in Hawaii.

-t
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:25 am Reply with quote
AutoGyro wrote:
The release date is late 2007? We're in early 2006! That's a really long time from now!

Perhaps its a result of the MusicLand issue? Maybe they need to make more money off their current series or wait for MusicLand to reorganize or whatever and repay their debts before they start dubbing it.
barbapapa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:43 am Reply with quote
Well the only reason this excites me is that maybe now DrMaster will continue publishing the manga where ComicsOne left off.
Spikemcruffy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what you all mean about it not being realeased outside of Japan.
It has been aired in the UK for about 3 years now called "shin chan"
I think it has been dubbed by a European company as I have seen the same logo for that dub across Europe.
It really was edited badly but still had the charm.
This is one of my favourite series and I'm surprised they have only fansubbed one movie..

One of the big questions is the fact that will it be aired on television or just be a dvd release. Seeing as this series is pretty old now (even though new episodes are being broadcasted) I can imagine that they will have many episodes on a dvd. Another question are the edits involved with this show, even if it was on adult swim it would still have many edits....
Area88

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Whats so great about Crayon Shin-Chan! ?

I've never heard of it but looking at screenshots the animation looks awfully crude and simple. It looks like something aimed at toddlers.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Spikemcruffy wrote:
I don't know what you all mean about it not being realeased outside of Japan.
It has been aired in the UK for about 3 years now

Oh, didn't know about that.

-t
barbapapa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:26 pm Reply with quote
And its still airing in the Netherlands too; and might I add: The dub is even better than the original Japanese one.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:07 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Fact of the matter is, Disney had an option on it for the last 4 years, but they never excercised it.

Someone just told me that this was incorrect, that the license option was held by Lacey Entertainment, not Disney.

http://www.laceyent.com/

Navarre said Disney though.

Perhaps somewhere along the line someone heard "Disney" when someone else said "Lacey"

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:50 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Yuck!

Why did they license this when more higher quality titles like, Mushishi, Zettai Shonen, Air, Pale Cocoon, Space Symphony Maetel, Angel Heart and Noein go unlicensed?

I can only hope that they have licensed Holic TV in addition to Tsubasa RESERVoir Chronicles TV.

I am truly disappointed in FUNimation.

area88 wrote:
Whats so great about Crayon Shin-Chan! ?

I've never heard of it but looking at screenshots the animation looks awfully crude and simple. It looks like something aimed at toddlers.

Crayon Shin-chan is comedic gold and proof positive that anime doesn't have to be pretty to be entertaining.

Aimed at children? Even Japanese parents were upset over it and thought it wasn't an appropriate family anime (it airs on Sunday nights, right around One Piece time).

If you still have doubts about the series, I seriously suggest cehcking it out and giving it a sincere chance.

I personally think that this is a great property for FUNimation to license and I have a feeling they're going to do a good job with the release. My only worry, if you can call it that, is the release schedule - it's a huge series and would probably do best with box releases or a five or six episode per disc release. As far as the translations go, I think its very possible to get decent, accurate translations without having to do, say what Pioneer did to Lupin III TV 2.
TeaChan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Oh my, this makes me so happy. I love Crayon Shin-chan. This is one of the only series my younger sister and I both enjoy. Most other series I read or watch get strange looks from her.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:21 pm Reply with quote
@SalarymanJoe: While it's nice that you're happy to get your favorite title licensed, inappropriate behaviour, including nudity, in a kindergartener ain't my cup of tea. That, the animation quality and the episode count means that I'll pass.

Ichigo Mashimaro, which involves mean-spirited girls doing inappropriate things, is more realistically buyable and has better animation imo.

I just hope that spending money on this title didn't mean that FUNimation passed on the higher quality titles.
barbapapa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Ichigo Mashimaro appals me, that shit is so closet-lolicon.
No thanks, I'll have me some Crayon Shin-chan. That kid is hilariously rude.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Actually the anime version of Ichigo Mashimaro is toned down with Nobue aged abit. It's moe and not loli.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4