• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: K-ON! BLURAY 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
Well the AU release is certainly getting an artbox. Not sure why the Bandai one hasn't though, seems strange when they are forcing people to buy the singles.

Well they are not really forcing people to buy them. I would like to assume that a set will come out later. So people can either wait then or just not buy it.

I though the dub was quite good, haven't listened to the Japanese track yet so I have no opinion on that.

It is not a big deal with the DVD audio as long as I can listen to that is all that matter to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
torinostu351

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
The show overall was a bit disappointing in the music department. The band music livens up later and they have some really catchy songs. However, the bgm was often just repeated through both seasons, despite there there being a lot of effort put into the character singles that were released. I was really surprised KyoAni never added any of that music to the show. I understand animating them playing instruments was a burden, but did we DID see them playing, did it really need to be the same two or three songs they learned for both seasons?

It seemed like they really missed the target there, and even though K-ON! was ultimately a marketing banzai for them, having some variety in the bgm and adding some of the insert songs into the show could have put it over the top, ensuring it was a show that would endure, not something people will have (unfortunately) forgotten in a couple of years.

Don't get me wrong, one of my favorite shows for the last few seasons, and I felt the review was spot on. Most of my friends I've shown it to love it and say, "You can't NOT feel happy after watching an episode of this."

That being said, I may be one of the few who felt Stephanie Sheh's voice was a bit of a distraction. Would much prefer someone whose voice range was naturally that high instead of someone who had to fake it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
torinostu351 wrote:
Would much prefer someone whose voice range was naturally that high instead of someone who had to fake it.

Like the Japanese? "Everybody" fakes it. Wink
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Judging from the overall view, I've always wanted to watch a high school anime that's mostly laid back and doesn't need a mega-intensive plot to define its cast, if only to try something different from the usual. I know some of you would probably recommend Azumanga Daoih, but after seeing the first DVD, it's not really my thing.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
The "-" should be "Lacking lossless audio."

I'll continue to buy if Bandai Ent. fixes the audio. The picture quality checks out just fine, and I'm not one to get butthurt over missing extras. Please please fix the audio though. If no lossless for future releases, hopefully Japan will give us an English subtitled BD box.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
K-ON! is oddly... mesmerizing. There is something about it, something intangible, that makes it charming.

My only gripe (as a lifelong musician): spoiler[there is no way a girl -who can't read sheet music, with no musical training and has never picked up any instrument before- can pick up the guitar, and on pure cuteness power alone, shred like Stevie Ray Vaughn, David Gilmour, or Jimmy Page, or (insert your favorite guitar god here).

The other girls are believable given how long (many years) they've played and practiced; I buy that. But there ain't no DBZ magic montage long enough to turn a complete noob into a Super Sayan guitarist practically overnight.

And they give the same treatment for the sister.]
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm not gonna lie. K-on, bores me. I couldn't even finish the 2nd episode, but since the dub seems to get a good review I'll see how it is in English.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:09 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
there is no way (Yui can play)

Well, Yui and Ui are supposed to be a kind of geniuses when it comes to learn new stuff. Yea, it's still unrealistic, but that's not what the show is about. The club basically never practises, but eats cakes instead and they still manage to play. K-On just wants to make you dream about living a cool high school life without making any effort.

torinostu351 wrote:
It seemed like they really missed the target there (...) something people will have (unfortunately) forgotten in a couple of years.

Don't worry, that won't happen. The series hit its target audience completely and directly (which is not the one that cares about music, but about the cute girls singing it). It was a big commercial success and everybody is copying it (there have been shows like this before, but they're multiplying now). It got a second season and a movie to come. And with 2 new manga series, I'm sure the movie won't be the last K-On anime.

For me K-On was extremely and completely boring, but I hope when the setting changes to university it'll get more interesting, since that is something you rarely see in anime series.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:26 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
For me K-On was extremely and completely boring, but I hope when the setting changes to university it'll get more interesting...

That would kill it.

Surely you cannot have a story about four young women at university without mentioning the dreaded "S" word . . . sexuality. I mean, if not one woman out of a group of four has a single boyfriend in three or four years of university, then all four of them are lesbians. But that could hurt the section of the fanbase who actually think of the girls as their "Waifus" or whatever, since now they can't have a shot. But if you give them boyfriends, then that pisses off even more of the fanbase, since now the girls aren't pure and virginal and all that. However, if you don't give them any sexuality at all, then you just stomp on what little realism and normalcy you had in the first place.

The fans love the girls as they are now; as girls. Many girls don't have boyfriends in high school. However, many if not most women have boyfriends whilst in university, with the relationships often being sexual in nature. Given the huge minefield that moving the university setting represents, I have to wonder why the Manga is heading in that very direction. It would be as if The Simpsons had everyone aged ten years, and not just in a Halloween episode but for the rest of the show's run (excluding flashbacks of course). A big reason people watch is to see the characters as they were when the audience fell in love with them, not when they grow up and lose much of their appeal.

Changing the formula is akin to suicide, because you've either got to go completely bankrupt when fans leave the franchise, or you go creatively bankrupt after shoehorning in another season whilst keeping things unnaturally as they were before.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:52 am Reply with quote
Yes, not a lot of anime set at college gets licensed in the US. I can only think of Honey and Clover, Oh/Ah My Goddess, and Moyashimon. And I could be wrong about Moyashimon, it might be only the live-action version. I'm ignoring the H-anime where high school is translated into college in order to make the characters over 18, without actually fooling anybody.

I suppose a good portion of the audience for anime in Japan is high-school age, and another fraction hasn't gone to college for other reasons. It's like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which couldn't sustain the heroine attending college for long.
billk1928

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:43 am Reply with quote
So far, I've enjoyed this show. I was very disappointed when Bandai decided to go with only 4 episodes on the Blu-Ray, with only one interview (with a North American voice actress), and some trailers. C'mon, Bandai, this ain't Japan! Give us more episodes per disk!

Second, I must disagree with the main reviewer -- I thought Stephanie Sheh's performance was very weak. Her voice was too high, coming out squeaky and almost whispered. The director should've asked her to pitch down a 3rd, or better yet, a 5th. And she should've put more nasal tone and a bit of grit into her voice. Personally, I think she was miscast in that role. The voice actress who does Ui did a better job in that pitch range.

The main reason not every show features a new tune is simple: it would get too expensive licensing and producing new songs. How many episodes of Beck feature new songs? How many of DMC? And further back, how many times did we hear a new tune in Full Moon wo Sagashite? You're asking for the impossible if you want new songs all the time!

Most of the tunes that were produced for K-ON! are available on YouTube and elsewhere, so you can enjoy them outside the show. I believe a lot of them were produced later, in response to the great reception of the show in Japan.

Experiments by distributors with bringing over music CDs to North America, and other similar ventures, almost always failed miserably. In the present environment, it's no surprise we've heard nothing about making K-ON! tunes available, unless they're available on iTunes (I don't use that service myself).

The writers, voice actors, directors, and so on have lots of time available, due to not having to cram a new song into each episode, so they were able to really develop the personalities of many of the characters, preventing them from becoming stereotypes.

Things may go at a slow pace, but that's okay, because I find myself having so much fun, I don't want the season to end anytime soon. The longer it takes to get to each part of the girls' school year, the better. Personally, I wish the makers of the show would have only gone through one high school year per season, rather than the first two years in the first season, then the third year (and then some!) in the second season.

I hope to enjoy more of this show, as it comes out over here. Bandai, please consider picking up the rights to the second season as soon as possible!
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:02 am Reply with quote
dtm42: from what I've heard, the characters will be attending an all-girls college, so problem "solved".
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:11 am Reply with quote
billk1928 wrote:
So far, I've enjoyed this show. I was very disappointed when Bandai decided to go with only 4 episodes on the Blu-Ray, with only one interview (with a North American voice actress), and some trailers. C'mon, Bandai, this ain't Japan! Give us more episodes per disk!

As irritated as I am over Bandai's K-ON! release, I think it's only fair to point out that the Japanese releases only included two episodes per disc, and those were retailing at something like $80. Ick!

Quote:
Bandai, please consider picking up the rights to the second season as soon as possible!

Given how rushed licenses tend to result in less than ideal releases in North America, I'd just as soon Bandai held off a couple years to quiet the grim specter of reverse importation.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:25 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:

Given how rushed licenses tend to result in less than ideal releases in North America, I'd just as soon Bandai held off a couple years to quiet the grim specter of reverse importation.

That and also see how K-On! sells for them. No point in them licensing a sequel of a show if the first season of the show doesn't sell well for them.

I tend to think that Bandai wasn't given the lossless audio to potentially limit the amount of reverse importation fears that could come with the release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maaya

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I mean, if not one woman out of a group of four has a single boyfriend in three or four years of university, then all four of them are lesbians.

I think that's not rare at all in Japan, so in a series that is not even supposed to be realistic, it probably won't be much of a problem ^^

We'll see how the manga will turn out, but I'm not worried concerning its' success. And even if the university one doesn't work well, they still got Azusa & Co. in school, and can introduce some new students there and have the other girls visit them regularily.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3