• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Boston 2006

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:07 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Maybe it's because as soon as they come out with a thinpack, the individual DVDs drop down to $7.99 and people buy up the individual DVDs.
That's how I wound up buying the single discs of Azumanga Daioh, DN Angel, Abenobashi, and some of Chrono Crusade. That's why I'm of the opinion that ADV shouldn't bother with thinpacks for series heavy on extras and cultural references like Excel Saga and Chromartie High. Now, stuff like Elfen Lied, Kino's Journey, and anything Nuku Nuku, thinpacks all the way. (I actually was going to wait on the thinpack of EL, but I happened to win enough money in a game of chance to pay for 3 of the DVDs + box Anime smile)
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:16 am Reply with quote
Zac+ Jmays:

Note: As we've seen from the last few weekends, critics do not
have an impact on big-budget films. People are either going to see them, or they won't, regardless if they get 23% Rotten like the Da Vinci Code. (Hell, the film was panned at Cannes, and it's bigger in Europe than X 3!) And I just don't see the same anticipation or excitement for the ads for Cars that I did for Ice Age 2. I'm not saying Cars won't make money, but I don't expect it to be as big as Pixar's other films. Probably as big as A Bug's Life.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:35 am Reply with quote
a new Kite OVA? oh dear Shocked
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:44 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Note: As we've seen from the last few weekends, critics do not
have an impact on big-budget films. People are either going to see them, or they won't, regardless if they get 23% Rotten like the Da Vinci Code. (Hell, the film was panned at Cannes, and it's bigger in Europe than X 3!)

Fair enough. You did say moviegoers, not critics, though your "sense of anticipation and excitement" is still a weak counter to an 88% on the Tomatometer.
MikaelM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:07 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
The Princess Tutu AMV is really freakin' awesome. The sync and the mood is spot on making it one of the most captivating dance/drama videos ever made. I'm actually glad that video won since it'll give the Princess Tutu series some exposure, and entice the viewer into buying the volumes (which it did to me Wink ).

Amen! For those who do not understand Swedish; the lyrics matches the video perfectly. Nice, considering the fact that the author is italian. Must be one of the best AMVs I've seen in years.

For those who liked the music, there is an unofficial home page of the artist in English here: http://www.come.to/nanne
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:39 am Reply with quote
dokool wrote:

-There needs to be more romance videos entered into the contest! According to Adam (the contest director), 10 out of the 99 submissions were romance.
AB's greatest contest yet, I just hope that more people will actually come see it next year!

I thought the comedy category also had far fewer entries than action and drama.

Maybe I should rearrange my AMV schedule and make a romance before my comedy for AB...nah... Razz Wait...WAIT my comedy AMV COULD potentially be in both romance and comedy...but you guys don't allow that, do you? drat
dokool

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:05 am Reply with quote
DriftRoot wrote:

I thought the comedy category also had far fewer entries than action and drama.

That tends to be the norm everywhere - it's easy to do a mindless action video, but it's hard to be funny.

Still, I don't understand why romance videos get the shaft.

DriftRoot wrote:
Wait...WAIT my comedy AMV COULD potentially be in both romance and comedy...but you guys don't allow that, do you? drat

Funny thing about that - BasharOfTheAges submitted I Do <3 Yuri as Romance, and the judges switched it to its "proper" category...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
LG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I do not believe the concept of not selling thinpacks. The hardcore anime viewer may buy the individual sets as they come out, but the majority of anime consumers will buy the box sets. How many people want to shell out $100-250 for individual volumes to be able to watch a semi long to long series?

I wouldn't. I am going to buy the ADV Thinpacks, but as for the other series they are simply going to be losing customers and money without any solid plans to release series like GetBackers or Madlax in thinpacks.

The news for The Anime Network is also a good sign though. I hope to see it becoming available for at least pay per view, but even better for linear.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:37 am Reply with quote
Jmays: BTW, Cars went down to 73%, and Ebert only gave it three stars.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2