• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top Selling Anime Releases of 2006

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teferi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:50 am Reply with quote
Kidder wrote:
teferi wrote:

Quote:
Karas is pure eye-candy anime so I'm not particularly surprised with it's 4th place since this sort of anime needs a proper high quality tv and sound system to experience the full amount of technology they put into the OVA. Samurai Champloo is much more popular in overseas than it was in Japan so it's 5th place is to be expected.

I just find it funny that generalizing that paragraph says pure-eyecandy=win, considering Advent children got first place Very Happy

Come on... Advent Children isn't considered eye-candy? with it's photo-realistic CG? Ultra-high quality CG= win! I bet (and this is a pretty wild stab in the dark) that about half the DVD sales for FFVII:AC were from people who aren't even fans of the Final Fantasy games. Oo-shiny Anime smile

Umm that's what I was getting at...

He said Karas made the list because it's eye candy but nothing about AC getting on for the same reason O_o

Although honestly I really doubt that the number of non fans that bought it is greater than the number of fans that did. I mean they'd have to know about it in the first place and outside the net I haven't seen any advertisments O_o (then again I don't pay too much attention to TV)

Quote:
The shininess wasn't there to cover up lack of character development, plot, music etc., it was there because it was an integral part of the movie. (I'm not going to get into an argument about the quality of those things in AC, so don't go there.) Eye candy is throwaway garbage that will rot your teeth, not CG artistry that makes even nonanime/gaming people's jaws drop in appreciation.

yes it was...

I mean if making it look good is integral to the movie it's because it's lacking in other areas. Just because they made it look better than most CG out there now doesn't really change much. Eye candy is Eye candy no matter how good it looks.
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Reikijenosaido wrote:
Am I the only person here who doesn't think that Advent Children qualifies as anime?

Its as much an anime as Tekken, and all the love sim titles (Kanon, Popotan, Shuffle, etc). Just because its cg based on a video game doesn't mean its not anime.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:33 pm Reply with quote
jaybug39 wrote:
Could someone please point out where to find the exact number of sales is to be found? Is it something like a www.boxofficemojo.com thing? Or Billboard magazine's top of the pops charts? Otherwise, how can we tell how much of anything the sales ranks are?

They're only available from Vidscan, which is a $30,000 a year subscription.

Quote:
Aree we talking millions, hundreds of thousands, tens of thousands, thousands, hundreds, what?

At the top of the list you're talking hundreds of thousands.

At the bottom you're talking tens.

biliano wrote:
This was pointed out on another thread so I'll relay it here: Does Vidscan only include the major retailers such as Best Buy, Amazon, and Suncoast, or does it include Diamond Comics and AAA Anime Distribution (the two major anime wholesalers in the Western market)?

Vidsvan is based on Point of Sale, not distribution. Much like Bookscan, the numbers are tabulated at the cash register. It's estimated that Vidscan numbers account for somewhere around 50% of the market. This percentage can vary somehwat release to release though.

Very few, if any specialty shops are included in Vidscan, none of the online anime retailers are included in Vidscan, Amazon.com isn't included in Vidscan and neither is Wal Mart.

-t
jaybug39

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Good grief, talk about suspect! Hey, the check's in the mail!

Thanks for that info t. I am glad I am not working for one of the liscensing companies, with that kind of faulty information, and to be absolutely dependent upon, is nuts. But all there is to go by.

I guess the positive side, is that as with up to 1/2 the market unnaccounted for, you can always show how sales have surpassed expectations. Good for suckering investors, no?
Reikijenosaido

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Mainly because it's cg.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:54 pm Reply with quote
The list itself doesn't surprise me, what really surprises me is that Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke made the list, because I don't know where to find these movies! How can it make the top 10, if I can't even find it in stores!? However, I live in a small city and the only stores that sell DVD's are pretty much only Wal-mart and CD Plus.

kidder wrote:
Come on... Advent Children isn't considered eye-candy? with it's photo-realistic CG? Ultra-high quality CG= win! I bet (and this is a pretty wild stab in the dark) that about half the DVD sales for FFVII:AC were from people who aren't even fans of the Final Fantasy games. Oo-shiny Anime smile

Um, the game sold like 5 or 6 million in North America. I'm guessing the movie sold something close to 500,000. That isn't a very big percentage compared to the number of sales for the game. Probably like 85% percent of the people bought the movie because they were fans and another 10% would be anime fans. Everyone I've talked to about Advent Children,who was neither, never even heard of the movie before.

For the record, despite what people say in the reviews ("people who never played the game won't like this movie"), overall the people who aren't fans of the game seem to like it better. One of my anime friends, who hardly touched FFVII, thought it was the best movie ever, while my friend who thought the game was the greastest game ever, thought the movie was okay (there are other examples I have too, but that would take too long). I haven't figured out why this is though...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2