• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. SyFy Channel Lists No More Anime After June 9

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised by this at all, considering all the time slot moves after being consistently aired in the same spot. Really smacks of the typical network tactics when it comes to any show that someone in charge at the network doesn't like anymore or just plain don't get.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:

Don't forget "Noein" which I'm surprised no one ever talks about. Plus the tv airing of TTGL that Adult Swim should've aired. I had hoped they would rerun Noein again eventually, but I guess this kills that idea.
Oh, I've never seen Noein, and I'm really not a fan of Gurren Lagann. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
yamiangie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I was having fun watching starblazers.
TikkiEXX

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:21 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
I was having fun watching starblazers.
yeah me too. but this is just a small part of the continuous decline of the Sci Fi channel. i refuse to call it SyFy. the channels a joke lately. might as well not show anime they barely show sci fi shows anymore. channels just hit the skids. i liked it better when they just showed reruns of old shows
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I never watch this channel because everytime I do star trek enterprise is on, and I hate star trek enterprise
sommer89

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote
If just seemes like ever since that channel changed its logo its started to go down hill from there. The fact there is no anime after june 9 just proves the point that most network exects are idiots. They make something good and manegement changes and ruins it or something similar. Toonami is a good example.

But heck i could be wrong.
_V_

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
A dark day for anime fans.

But lets me honest: they mostly had to deal with old Manga Entertainment shows no one wanted.

On the other hand, they *were* able to get a few good A-list shows here and there: Gurren Lagann, Gundam 00, Now And Then Here And There, Monster, etc. --- an this was particularly embarrassing for Adult Swim because after Code Geass [as] really stopped running adult-quality stuff like those shows.

Then again, Monster is so long its kind of hard to follow.

My hopes were raised when they got Space Battleship Yamato on.

Well, we have to consolidate now.....unfortunately Adult Swim is only running Bleach (admittedly a big seller) and Kekkaishi.

We are in quite a lull.

Yes, online streaming does attract a large number of fans....but people need to know where to look. They need stuff on basic cable, not even a lot, just as an introduction/hook for anime.

Well, the last saving grace I held for the so-called "SyFy Channel" is gone: Caprica was a mess riding the coat-tails of BSG (which went downhill in later seasons), and SGU was a shameless attempt to force a BSG ripoff out of Stargate.

There's absolutely not a thing I watch on there anymore, particularly for "scifi" -- Ghosts? Other cheap run of the mill stuff? I want my space opera darn it.

Its a network run by annoyed executives who wish they were working for sister-channel "USA Network", don't particularly like science fiction, and want to make anything but that.

Yes, scifi is "a big tent" an there are many branches to Sci Fi & Fantasy. But there's a key difference between "broadening our subgenres" and "desperately trying to avoid anything science fiction or fantasy".

Yikes.

(sigh) at least they finally got the Star Trek Next Generation reruns....only took them HOW MANY years? Like last year? Heck, Spike TV would run daily 5 episode marathons of TNG and DS9 for like 5 years not too long ago.

....unfortunately, the Adult Swim 2011 upfront didn't mention anime. Although it at least mentioned "TV shows" -- the 2010 upfront was just a big party with no news announcements.
_V_

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
I never watch this channel because everytime I do star trek enterprise is on, and I hate star trek enterprise

It got better in season 4 once Berman & Braga were finally forced out of the writers' room. Was it a great show in season 4? No, there's only so much you can fix in one season, particularly after 3 bad seasons. But they did everything I would do given such limited time, and Manny Coto's tenure as head writer in season 4.....at least proved to the world that "Enterprise" wasn't an inherently bad concept, but Bermanga screwed it up; a pair of incompetence long past their prime, still trying to ride the coat-tails of Next Gen.

Still, the odds are 3 out of 4 that one of the reruns *won't* be a season 4 episode, so I sympathize with your frustration.

Yikes, when is someone going to rerun Deep Space Nine again?
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Or Babylon 5, or Lexx, or Farscape. All three of these shows have a lot of fans.
rondo

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
In some respects, I guess this shouldn't be too surprising, since it seems cable networks have been turning more and more away from anime. It's kind of interesting to see that this news would come down the same week that Cartoon Network cut down on how much anime they're showing in their regular rotation.

My two younger children liked watching the Pokemon reruns in the morning on Cartoon Network before heading out to school. On Monday, they were disapponted to discover that Pokemon wasn't on when they switched over at 8:00 a.m. I did some searching through TV Guide's online listings, and discovered that the airings of Bakugan, Beyblade, and Pokemon on weekday mornings were gone. Upon further investigation, I found that they were not moved to any other time on the schedule during the week. I find all three of shows on Saturday morning, plus an airing of Pokemon: Black & White at 7:00 a.m. on Sunday.

Really, all I can think of now for anime viewing on TV after the SyFy airings disappear would be:
*"Toonzai" block on broadcast TV
*CN's airings of Bakugan, Beyblade, and Pokemon: Black & White on Saturday mornings and the airing of Pokemon: Black & White on Sunday morning
*Whatever anime is currently showing on CN's "Adult Swim" block
*Naruto Shippuden on Disney Anime hyper
*Dragon Ball Z Kai on Nicktoons, and it could also potentially be argued that Voltron Force will qualify after it debuts in June

Am I missing anything, or is that really going to be it now for anime on broadcast and cable?

This was a one week thing (for now). They'll be back on next week.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
rondo wrote:
This was a one week thing (for now). They'll be back on next week.

I just double-checked at TV Guide's online listings, and you're right. Thank goodness. I'll let my kids know when they get home that they can Pokemon on CN again next week. They'll be very happy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I'm too surprised that it's ending. I'm actually really shocked it lasted 4 years. *sigh* Will miss it, but I'm glad I got to see the likes of Gurren Lagann, Monster and Gundam 00 before it came to an end
Strike Freedom Meister

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:03 pm Reply with quote
This really feels like the dark times for American anime audiences as more and more of our options are closed off. It's really based upon the same irrational fears as the MPAA has about piracy. It's really a cost issue where the price of the content is too high which ultimately leads to piracy. If they would make the content priced right, highly available, & raise the awareness that anime doesn't equal a cartoon for a kid.

Especially now that we've got American studios considering making live action versions of anime series, which scares me because the chance of them butchering these series is high. I have no faith in Warner Bros to do Akira right.

As a huge Gundam fan, I'm so sad that most people out there don't even know about Gundam Unicorn & how epic the series is. It's so hard to get my hands on the series because it's either priced out of my range or the shipping cost also price it out of my range. Since I'm a father as well, I just can't go on an anime buying spree. Gas prices have killed what extra income I have after other expenses. My kids are anime fans as well.

Thankfully, there's a local anime shop here in Dallas which has been a God send. Love those guys and gals at the Anime Pop Shop in Addison. I really want to support the art but it's becoming harder.

I'm just hoping that we have a rebirth of anime in the States sometime in the future.
PMDR

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:12 pm Reply with quote
This is disappointing. But not surprising. Star Blazers has gotten cancelled like this the last two times it's been on TV in my area. First sporadically rerun early on Sunday mornings -often replaced with infomercials or paid church shows- and now SciFi has apparently dropped it before it really even got going.

And before that, during the last Star Blazers daily afternoon run in the 80's, I managed to miss the Comet Empire finale. An alleged anime fan and I never got to see the the ending and never got around to doing anything about it.

Well, there IS one difference now. Thanks to SciFi (sorry, hate the new name; won't use it) bringing this show back to front of mind, I realized I can get the DVDs and be done with it -and see the third series I never saw before.

No need to endure the relentless commercial breaks. No need to wait for Scifi to run two episodes a week.

Oh well. They gave up on it anyway. Thanks Scifi/Comcast/NBC for reminding us why the whole concept of TV networks is obsolete and needs to be abolished.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Starting in July G4 will start premiering the Marvel anime.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe they are doing the same order as broadcast....

Iron Man
Wolvi
X-men
Blade

So, at least we know that coming. It's a shame if they get rid of the block, but they're horrible about promoting it. I didn't even know they were airing Star Blazers until after it was already on for a couple weeks. And I watch Syfy all the time.

And, I don't necessarily agree that anime is dead on tv. Bleach has been reaching all time highs in ratings as of late. And 5D's is still doing good. I'm not sure about Pokemon atm, but it usually stays pretty consistent.

I just hope Syfy keeps it going.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6