• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sunday Without God

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Hellwarden wrote:
The shit art does really drag down the lovely animation.

Can somebody post a few screenshots to prove that statement, because I didn't see anything wrong with the art quality in this show.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I find Ai to be adorable tbh and more of an appealing character rather than being distracting. Anyways, the world concept of this series is definitely noticeable and I find it quite interesting. The second half of the series took a bite out of my enjoyment though I guess in terms of the story especially with one of the endings where spoiler[Alis and the others tried to escape the academy]. (seemed the climax was a bit rushed and made me go "Huh? was that all?) The ending was okay I guess. I do miss a certain character from the series though after spoiler[episode 3]..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Wakazhi wrote:
Hellwarden wrote:
The shit art does really drag down the lovely animation.

Can somebody post a few screenshots to prove that statement, because I didn't see anything wrong with the art quality in this show.

I'm equally puzzled. I thought the background art was great.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Hm, I dropped this show after one episode because I found Ai pretty annoying and felt like it was just trying to seem "deep." I'm thinking that I might've misjudged the show now. I think I'll give it another chance eventually.

It wasn't trying. It was deep. It takes about 3 episodes to realize this.

Polycell wrote:
I'll have to disagree with Theron that Ai's cuteness weighs the series down - yes, "the cutesiness is so completely at odds with the vastly more serious nature of the setting", but that contrast is exactly what makes her so effective in her role to the point I'm not even sure that the series would've worked without her being so clearly out-of-place.

@Niyari: I think just about everybody can agree that the Goran Academy arc isn't exactly the series at its best.

The only good things to come out of the Goran Academy arc were Alis and Dee. Literally.

All in all, I really liked the show and wish it could get another season to finish off the light novels, or at least come close, if they are still ongoing. However, the ending was not bad, just kind of "and so we continue, just without all of you suckers! Psych!"

However, as I have ranted several times about not letting the short running time and lack of finishing the source material impact my appreciation for the anime that was actually produced, I would be a hypocrite to really care about that. I'll just be sad that the sales projections have it selling somewhere around the cellar for the season. Why? I thought the light novels were pretty popular, are they not?
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:36 pm Reply with quote
After Episode 3 tied up (and fused, as so to never be undone) all the plot threads there was no reason for me to continue the show.

The sudden, unprecedented reversal of a character's personality (ie:one hell of an emotional meltdown, a meltdown which shattered the awesomeness of one of the characters) in ep 3 did not inspire me to continue on with this series. It was laughably bad. I was almost ROFLing at the absurd comedy of it, but I think that it was supposed to be a "serious, dramatic moment". After that realization, I knew that this show wasn't one for me as it would be another "unintentional dark comedy", like Angel Beats.

Neither did the "Gravekeepers are supposed to always smile but they're emotionally-barren sociopaths...except in every case detailed in the show" conflict.

My anime circles billed this as a "Kino's Journey, if Kino's backstory had been spelled out in the beginning of the series". They neglected to mention that Ai is the crappiest simulacrum of Kino to ever "grace" a cel. I despair that this will probably get a dub from Sentai when there is more deserving stuff still languishing in sub-only purgatory (and no matter how much I offer, no matter how many copies I buy, I can't buy their salvation...).
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm amazed that people are shellshocked by the fact that the show is not selling well. It's not a terrible show by any means, but it was very average, and so much of the show focused on atmosphere rather than making sense. The result of that is you have a show that is really pretty to look at and feels kind of happy to watch, but at the end of the day you don't really take anything away from it. Sunday Without God set up a world where so many interesting things could have been accomplished, but then it refused to accomplish any of those things. Instead, we had a number of short vignettes centered around Ai traveling around in a VW Bus and making people happy. Maybe if they had her show more flesh the show would sell a ton more (never underestimate the power of Otaku). Instead, the show doesn't really appeal to any specific crowd in my opinion.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I wholeheartedly agree with the review, except for the fact that I, like other posters, found Ai (and all her cuteness) absolutely necessary for the development of the plot and exploration of the world. She was innocent, yet emotionally mature, sensitive, but courageous, and most of all, she refused to judge anybody in this world, enabling the others to find new outlooks and meanings as well. I thought that was quite brilliant. I did not care about the first school arc at all, and I agree there were some consistency issues in the quality of writing and execution, but all in all, this was a fascinating watch, rich in atmosphere, quite thought provoking at times, emotionally devastating, and still full of possibilities for new hope to blossom. It felt more like a rough diamond than a polished masterpiece, but I will definitely remember this show for a while to come.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2