• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Space Dandy to Air on Toonami Before it Airs in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
I don't think Cowboy Bebop's been off Adult Swim's schedule any time in the last decade, and it apparently still gets good ratings even when running at three in the morning. This should be an easy sell for their audience.

The funny thing is that they just lost the rights to Bebop. They can get the rights to the HD remasters from FUNimation, but it might be a while...
anifani

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote
The music sounds excellent...even though this isn't the type of show that I'd lose any sleep over.

Nice that Toonami is expanding.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I can see them trying to sell it using the Watanabe/Bebop connection, but I'm not really sure how popular a comedy anime about a guy named Dandy will be with that audience. But hey, I didn't think people would watch a TV show about Marvel's Phil Coulson character, so what do I know?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:

having to wait for the original(not dubbed) version would be rather strange and annoying.

It's no different than waiting for the J-broadcast time as if there's no other airing out there.
It's just that it has already been seen by some people.
But then, that's also no different than waiting for the AT-X broadcast when the anime has already been seen on other J-TV stations.

DmonHiro wrote:

And I don't know how popular anime is right now in America. And with it being made for western audiences means that it most likely will sell poorly in Japan. Just how much money can they get out of the western buyers?

If the J-studio gets broadcast fee from CN (unlike from J-TV stations) commensurate on the commercial ads revenue, and syndication fees on reruns in perpetuity (which y'know will happen since it's CN), and a cut on the merchandise licenses outside Japan, etc. There's more than a few ways to make money on this outside Japan, not just home videos.

Japanese trying to cast a wide net, like they used to in the days before anime lost much of the mainstream Japanese timeslots. This is what Sailor Moon should be doing, especially since SM has an even better worldwide pedigree.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Though because it'd airing dubbed and FUNi will want that pushed hard, will there even be a legal subtitle version available anywhere? If there's the slightest hint of a shred of censorship on the Toonami broadcast, I'm going with fansubs.

Unless the fansubs have the same "TV edits" while the studio holds off the full versions for the home video release.

Also, sub simulcast on Funi's website.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
StrawHat313 wrote:
I said this before on the other Space Dandy news, but I'll say it again.

"They must have HUGE confidence in this show!" This kinda thing rarely happens so when it does it's pretty interesting. Can't wait to see the viewership of this show when it premieres on Toonami.

Yeah.

Wow!
Leebo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure what people are expecting that would be censored.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Japanese trying to cast a wide net, like they used to in the days before anime lost much of the mainstream Japanese timeslots. This is what Sailor Moon should be doing, especially since SM has an even better worldwide pedigree.

Agreed. Would have been more of a better fit for Sailor Moon. Sure, it would miss out on the young kid demos, but it could make up in some other ways reaching older demographics.
aizensama666

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
As excited as I am for this show, I think the best news to come out of this announcement is that Toonami is getting an extra half hour. That's incredibly cool.
trilaan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
For once my dad will get to watch an anime before I do. He always records Toonami.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Well that cool it coming on before bleach but why so early
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

It's no different than waiting for the J-broadcast time as if there's no other airing out there.
It's just that it has already been seen by some people.
But then, that's also no different than waiting for the AT-X broadcast when the anime has already been seen on other J-TV stations.

But I do find that a bit annoying, it doesn't really matter for this anime though. I just think it'd be annoying if it happened to anime original series that I do have a interest in, since spoilers would appear before I get to watch it.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Wow, not only are they airing Space Dandy dubbed BEFORE the JP broadcast, but Toonami is also expanding by a half-hour, they're doing three weeks of movies in December, and on top of that they're also doing something special for that extra DST hour in November.

I'm so excited! Very Happy

firedragon54738 wrote:
Well that cool it coming on before bleach but why so early

You're almost making it sound like that's a bad thing. Toonami has been doing really well lately, so AS decided to dedicate another half-hour to their action programming. Thats really, really good news.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I've said it once and I'll say it again: I WILL be hogging my dorm's TV for this.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Dimlos wrote:
I can see them trying to sell it using the Watanabe/Bebop connection, but I'm not really sure how popular a comedy anime about a guy named Dandy will be with that audience. But hey, I didn't think people would watch a TV show about Marvel's Phil Coulson character, so what do I know?
it's intruding into adult swim, a block that's nothing but ridiculous comedies. It will for in just fine as long as it's really silly.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Sounds promising, but will Toonami be airing complete episodes, or following the traditional US TV route of cutting a couple minutes per episode at random?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5