• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Breast in Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
You don't see anything in that scene, she doesn't even kiss him with him in wolf form or anything.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Wolf Children is a beautiful movie...I watched it the first time and thought was very well presented.

Charming as it is, I also find it quite realistic because of the theme of parenthood added in. Eh I guess the animation was a bit hokey sometimes but I didn't mind it.

Quote:
All in all, I highly recommend Wolf Children. I don't have children, so I can't say for sure, but I think if I was a parent, I would've bawled my eyes out and never left the theater.

This quote is brilliant from the article.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I really didn't care for Wolf Children. It seemed to not even know where it was going. For instance, what is the point of spoiler[Yuki's classmate suddenly bringing up that his mom was going to abandon him as soon as she gives birth to her new child? And how he followed up saying that he would be okay, because he's gonna be boxer.] Was that... comedy? I mean, there's no way an accomplished director would bring up something like that and just leave it completely up-int-the-air as it is in the movie.

Another issue I had is the end. Come on, Hosoda, did you not just show a half hour earlier that spoiler[Ame's mom walked to where his teacher had made his home. Now if a human can walk that distance, how long would it take Ame to run down and see his mom every now and then? If there was some magic force-field between the woods and the mom, then Hosoda sure as hell didn't explain anything as such.] It was just meant for a cheap emotional climax that makes absolutely zero sense if you bother to put half a brain's worth of thought into it.

There are plenty of other problems (I owned an 75% wolf hybrid, and their senses are so acute that there is no way that what happened near the beginning of the movie ever would have occurred), but yeah, for a kid's flick with no weight to it, it ain't bad.

EDIT: Oooh, and I wonder if what I picked up as quite sexist progression (The woman drops her studies and future aspirations for the sake of a man she met along with Yuki going from a tomboy brave young girl to a more stereotypical self-conscious fragile teen girl) struck anybody else.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit. I haven't seen Wolf's children yet, I need to get it along with strong world (hey It's not just for me I have an extra family member whose excitement for the series can reach many volumes higher than mine now.)

As for Strong world, from what I can remember, I found it to be a very fun film despite being a let down in the story department, and could you blame me for being disappointed? Oda was involved in this and from the looks of it put in a lot of effort to make this movie big. It's admirable and I like it when a creator really shows care in their work, but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll always turn out good in the long run. Film Z is almost the opposite it's kinda frustrating... both are good in one department but lacking in another, though Z was a bit closer to greatness than Strong World. Just a bit.

Last edited by Thatguy3331 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The woman drops her studies and future aspirations for the sake of a man she met

spoiler[She doesn't "drop her studies for a man" until the man has died. Had he survived, it sounds like she was going to keep going to school. Seems like a stretch.]
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
Quote:
The woman drops her studies and future aspirations for the sake of a man she met

spoiler[She doesn't "drop her studies for a man" until the man has died. Had he survived, it sounds like she was going to keep going to school. Seems like a stretch.]

She was not in school. She was a housewife. This is while spoiler[her husband was still alive]
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
She was not in school. She was a housewife. This is while spoiler[her husband was still alive]

spoiler[They certainly don't make that clear then. It's not until after the death that they say she postpones her school, implying that it's causal.]
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Wolf Children was a good movie in a general sense, but it definitely leans towards "traditional values" in many ways. The mother stuck raising the children (spoiler[killing off the dad] seemed like an excuse to create this situation; I don't think this twist improved the story), boy becomes wild and does what he wants while the girl tries to be normal and keeps her head down, and the whole "noble savage" quality of the living-in-the-country arc. Very much YMMV, though.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
yeah, but complaining about traditional values and cheering for their inverted equivalents cretes the same problem, just inverted; just let people do what they want provided they don't hurt anybody.
nechronius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
a sidekick that makes fart noises with his shoes

I make fart noises with my shoes. It's usually inadvertently, because of a certain way I step. if that happens though I usually immediately start walking in such a way as to deliberately repeat the sound, so that people around will know that, hey, it's just the shoes and not just some dude busting ass in public.

Of course, that also means I can give the occasional one cheek sneak and not get called out for it if I'm careful enough.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

All in all, I highly recommend Wolf Children. I don't have children, so I can't say for sure, but I think if I was a parent, I would've bawled my eyes out and never left the theater.

Like I said to friends who asked about it, by the end the mothers in the theater were crying their eyes out. Surprised

prime_pm wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
I also could have done without one particular scene at the beginning of the film where Hana is about to make out with wolf dad.

Was he in wolf form during that scene?

It was pretty much a near-yiff.

We laughed when that scene happened in the children's festival theater in front of the many parents' kids. Laughing

walw6pK4Alo wrote:

spoiler[Given that the mother was already hounded by the child protection services once, and that local townsfolk knew of Ame's existence in that area, won't it be suspicious when he just ends up missing one day?]

CPS is quite weak in Japan - they don't have much authority like checking your home without permission. And Japan stories about someone going missing unknown for months isn't uncommon - culturally they avoid other people's problems (though that won't stop them gossiping about it). For all they care, his dad's family took him away, and there's no joint custody in Japan.

pachy_boy wrote:

Quote:
As you can tell from the cover alone, with the exception of like, two characters, all of the chicks in the show have RIDICULOUS TITS. We're not just talking size (although size-wise, I'd compare them to a winter melon or a small cat), we're also talking about proportions and lack of anatomical know-how. There are scenes and splash art alike where the girls' nipples are inches away from where any woman's nipples should be. It doesn't matter how big or small your breasts are; nipples can't just migrate wherever they want to. Sometimes the girls' breasts aren't even the same size and differ by one or two cup sizes. I mean, for a show about boobs, you'd think they'd put some extra attention into the boobs. But no, even the animators were like, “F my life” and just willy-nilly slapped on flesh-tone between hard pounds of whisky.

Reading this alone totally made my evening!

Y'know what this means: we gotta get reality closer to fantasy! Laughing

Last edited by enurtsol on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
bin1127

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic review of Wolf's Children. I watched last week and Bamboo really laid out all the best about the film. It's a really heartwarming piece of animation and hits all the right notes in all the right places. The rural depiction is uncanny in beauty; makes you want to take time to get away from city life.

but Maken-Ki daaaaaamnnn who doesn't like boobies!!
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:41 am Reply with quote
Wolf Children is definitely shelf-worthy. Easily one of my favourite movies of all time.

Despite the fact that I'm a Strike Witches/Vividred sympathiser and dislike the notion that ecchi shows should be criticised because they deliver what was advertised on the box the way you described Maken Ki! makes it sound really awful.

Knowing Funimation's history with ecchi anime I'm assuming the quality of the English dub is either a terrible effortless throwaway, like Strike Witches and Asobi no..... Cat Planet Cuties, or a dub that's way better than the show ever deserved, like Highschool DxD and Master of Martial Hearts. Which category does Maken Ki! fall into?

Last edited by SquadmemberRitsu on Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:50 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Which category does Maken Ki! fall into?

way better than it deserves. Ian Sinclair is hilarious
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:01 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I really didn't care for Wolf Children. It seemed to not even know where it was going. For instance, what is the point of spoiler[Yuki's classmate suddenly bringing up that his mom was going to abandon him as soon as she gives birth to her new child? And how he followed up saying that he would be okay, because he's gonna be boxer.] Was that... comedy? I mean, there's no way an accomplished director would bring up something like that and just leave it completely up-int-the-air as it is in the movie.

That scene is not meant to be taken so literally. The truth is, the kid's life *does* suck, he *does* have an absentee mother, and he *is* hurting -deeply- inside, but he doesn't want anyone to know or see it. So he throws out ideas of how he's going to support him and Yuki, but it's all empty talk. I mean, he's not even in middle school yet. He has no idea how the real world works. So the fact that he's saying, "I'll become a boxer! Or a (whatever it was)!" pulls a sympathetic smile from the audience. It's the type of fake bravado and optimism that is only found in children, and while it's precious, it's also heartbreaking.

Megiddo wrote:
Leebo wrote:
Quote:

She was still in school part time, or at least had plans on going back to school, because after the incident, Yuki narrates that her mom had to withdraw from school and put her education on hold.

It's not that she wanted to be a housewife, but that she had no other choice, and needed to do everything she could to try and raise a family on her own. It's a tale of sacrifice, though at the same time, it's a little tragic, because she is very bright and very keen on self-education. One actually wonders if, at the end of the movie, she decides to eventually spend some time focusing on herself and going back to school. I'd be surprised if a character as strong as her didn't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4