• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kamigami no Asobi Female-Oriented Game Gets Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rheiders

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I will tentatively look forward to this and hope it is as fun as Utapri Very Happy
Yause

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

AFAIK, Kamigami isn't selling gangbusters. If Kamigami is good enough to be turned into anime despite not selling gangbusters, then why didn't they decide to do an anime of it before the game was released such that the game and anime could had been released almost the same time and thus help each other out.

They almost certainly planned the anime in advance. Broccoli controls the franchise, and planning for an anime normally happens 18-24 months in advance. You have to secure time slots, find committee partners, assemble the staff, line up a studio, plan merchandise.....

They were going to go through with this no matter how the game did.

Quote:
It's just strange to decide on the anime afterwards, when the game isn't even setting the sales charts on fire. (It's more understandable if a game becomes a hit, then only afterwards they decide to do an anime.) They could've helped each other out which they need the most, instead of being left on their own.

The big caveat is sales cannibalization. RPGs like Pokemon offer a completely different experience from the anime. However, if an anime airs at the same time as a visual novel, there's a good chance that they may lose sales.

As a mixed media producer, Broccoli focuses their promotion around brands rather than single game releases. In this regard, positive buzz from the game (small but vocal group of hardcore fans) might promote interest in the anime (large number of potential viewers influenced by the enthusiasm of the hardcore), which in turn creates a much larger audience for merchandise, CDs, manga spin-offs, sequels, rereleases, etc.
KaitoDoku

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
We already have the worst anime of all time in Diabolik Lovers, why do we need another one?
kailegh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:07 am Reply with quote
I really want to enjoy this one. I'm just praying the heroine is actually likable and not just... a blob.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:30 am Reply with quote
Hoping this is more UtaPri than BroCon Amnesia or Diabolik Lovers. Please, please be like UtaPri. I'm begging you here
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2