• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Girls und Panzer Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamie38459

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Love the show, glad you could see the good and bad stuff about the show :3
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:59 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
My take on why only girls used the tanks could be that I could see in a war the army wanted to be able to increase it's numbers, and probably realized that they had many tanks, and women who were not part. All they had to do was create various propaganda that tanks were feminine and way to help the nation, and not only would have girls lining up to join, but it became a part of their culture. Doesn't seem that farfetched to me. I thought this was evident by the propaganda styled movie that appeared at the beginning.

So in a world where giant multi-kilometre-long carriers exist with entire towns, forests and mountains on top of them, the army wants to boost its numbers of potential soldiers by encouraging a small number of teenage girls to play with obsolete and antique WW2-era tanks in high-school league competitions, with no military-style training/discipline given to the girls, and almost no adult oversight apart from a single virtually-useless tank instructor.

Hmm.

No offence, but I think the holes in your logic are big enough to sail one of the aforementioned carriers through.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
And if anyone brings up the naginata as a paper-thin defence - oh wait, they already have - then would they please be aware that men never stopped using that weapon and always remained the senior masters/teachers of it, so the comparison to Girls und Panzer's tankery is not justifiable.

Source?

Quote:
The introduction of firearms into Japan in the mid-17th century significantly altered battlefield strategies, and the naginata gradually became a weapon used solely by women for protection in their homes. Naginata training was also used as a means of exercise and character development. During the Edo period, a time of relative peace in feudal Japan, all Japanese women were required to master the naginata by age 18. By this time, naginata were usually ornately decorated, and were considered an essential part of a woman's dowry.

Here's mine
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

And if anyone brings up the naginata as a paper-thin defence - oh wait, they already have - then would they please be aware that men never stopped using that weapon and always remained the senior masters/teachers of it, so the comparison to Girls und Panzer's tankery is not justifiable.

You sure are mad about this.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:24 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
My take on why only girls used the tanks could be that I could see in a war the army wanted to be able to increase it's numbers, and probably realized that they had many tanks, and women who were not part. All they had to do was create various propaganda that tanks were feminine and way to help the nation, and not only would have girls lining up to join, but it became a part of their culture. Doesn't seem that farfetched to me. I thought this was evident by the propaganda styled movie that appeared at the beginning.

So in a world where giant multi-kilometre-long carriers exist with entire towns, forests and mountains on top of them, the army wants to boost its numbers of potential soldiers by encouraging a small number of teenage girls to play with obsolete and antique WW2-era tanks in high-school league competitions, with no military-style training/discipline given to the girls, and almost no adult oversight apart from a single virtually-useless tank instructor.

Hmm.

No offence, but I think the holes in your logic are big enough to sail one of the aforementioned carriers through.

Umm, mayhap I was talking about past wars that had a lasting impression on their culture. The large carriers may imply that there was at one time an overabundance of military equipment, and as current likely lack of danger.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to sit down with some popcorn and watch this show with Sigmund Freud. I'm sure his outdated psychosexual theories would provide a riotous rifftrax commentary.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Really upsetting they cut the song. reminds me of the "happy birthday" song and how restaurants can't legally sing it because of some toolbag that owns the rights. honestly was one of the best moments of the anime and not sure if i want to buy it because Sentai didn't want to pay for the song (neither did CR of course)

It's really not just as simple as paying for the song. If you would have watched the release, you would be aware that the entire scene was altered for home video release. Even if they paid for the song, it wouldn't make any sense using it with the edited scene they were provided to use for home video. Considering that the video itself was completely altered, it was most likely the Japanese company that did so, as Sentai has never really been one to alter video for home video releases.

Also, I believe there was a fairly recent Answer Man article that discussed the issue. Basically, the Japanese companies are so afraid of IP lawsuits that they often will give the R1 companies no say in the matter. It's likely this was the case in Girls Und Panzer, especially considering the alteration of the video. Forum posters here seem to forget that R1 companies are quite small and don't actually own the products they put out. They have very little control over what they are and what they aren't allowed to release.

Finally, I've about had it with people complaining about pricing. I could see it when one is complaining about Aniplex, or even about NISA, whose products almost never go on sale. But the complaining about prices for Sentai, Funimation, Nozomi, and the rest are getting ridiculous. Right now, the majority of Sentai and Funimation's bluray releases can be found on a selection of websites for under $30. Girls und Panzer, for instance, is currently available on several websites including Right Stuf $28, and was as low as $26 earlier this month on Deep Discount. If you are just too lazy to take four seconds and search somewhere besides Amazon, then you only have yourself to blame for being ripped off. It's pretty obvious that the majority of Amazon's anime releases are not priced competitively. Hell, even Best Buy and Walmart's websites are often priced more cheaply.

As for extras, they have pretty much fallen to the wayside for most R1 companies. Funimation does almost nothing, except for a very cheaply (made in Mexico) art box that usually peels, and the occasional poorly produced English language commentary. NISA also utilizes some pretty cheap art boxes, but at least they put decent artwork on theirs and they also usually include an art book (though the quality is questionable for the price you pay.) Aniplex can be very hit or miss, as can Sentai. Not all of Sentai's releases are "barebones" and several of their releases have very extensive Japanese extras, though things like English commentaries are more rare.

I'm not even going to touch the other complaints, because they really have nothing to do with GuP, as several people have received and reviewed their copies, and no major issues have been found. The majority of Sentai's releases are fine, and the issues that do pop up on some of their releases are also found on discs from Funimation, Aniplex, and others. I don't quite understand why Funimation gets a free pass from so many people, especially when they repeatedly refuse to acknowledge issues or offer exchanges, and Sentai gets crucified for even the smallest mistake. At least the last time I emailed Sentai about an issue, I got a reply. I'm still waiting to hear from Funimation about the last two defective discs I got from them that Amazon wouldn't exchange.

Honestly, I'm getting a little tired of so called "fans" finding any excuse to refuse to support the medium they profess to enjoy. I can understand waiting for reviews with any R1 anime release, as EVERY company here has had some major issues in the past, but refusing to buy just because you say they don't seem to share your "passion" for it, when you seem to have no passion for it anyway? It just seems to be pulling excuses out of your ass.

Last edited by dragonrider_cody on Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Garupan is a lesser show without the Katyusha scene.

Thats not directly Sentai's fault, but no one who watches only their release will ever have the full experience.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
it was just one song. sure, it was pretty cool, but I don't see how removing it changes the rest of the show, especially when it's never talked about again, and has no impact on the rest of the show
nechronius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Of all the hugely stupid things in this series,

It's all completely preposterous. Not much point in nitpicking a particular detail which to you may stand out bigger than all the other giant illogical elephants in the room, because they're all freakishly nonsensical.

May as well get hung up on giant 50 foot tall robots that can turn on a dime or adolescent girls who wield the power to alter the universe. But nobody here is buying it for the real life effects of tank combat in a crowded urban setting, so you're just getting all worked up over something EVERYONE knows is completely BS but are still accepting the series for what it is.

Silly fun.

But it's still silly fun in the right context, and it primarily plays up to the specialty nerds in many of us who like the mostly accurate depictions of historical weapons of war and references to even more movie silliness.

Watch Kelly's Heroes! In its own way it was the "Girls Und Panzer" of its day. /endplug

Oh, as for lop sided tank battles, I'm kind of a fan of a more modern day example, the battle of 73 Easting. Except it wasn't "lop sided" because of vast numerical superiority by one side.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Seeing Binbogami ga! in this article makes me wish the show would get another season or another spinoff of the manga that ended a few months ago ;.;

Nice collection btw.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Seeing Binbogami ga! in this article makes me wish the show would get another season or another spinoff of the manga that ended a few months ago ;.;

Nice collection btw.

I think you might have posted on the wrong article - this is the GuP review Anime hyper
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:44 pm Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:

Watch Kelly's Heroes! In its own way it was the "Girls Und Panzer" of its day. /endplug

When I saw the Kelly's Heroes clip, I was also sold on Girls Und Panzer.
The scene in Kelly's Heroes where Oddball's tank platoon attacks the train station through the tunnel while Hank Williams Jr. blares over the tank's loudspeaker has to be on of the most anachronistic yet surreal and excellent WWII scenes ever!

Hippies in WWII are as believable as feminine tankery!
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
It's a Sentai release so I will not buy it. I will not support such a horrific business practise as the one Sentai Filmworks promotes/uses. Bare-minimum releases, quality check is nowhere to be found & they price 10-12 episode releases @59.99$ (Amazon price). It's beyond me why anyone would support this company, who shows no passion for the medium itself, nor for their customers.

The anime itself (GaruPan) is cool, but I will never again buy a Sentai Filmworks release. Never Laughing .

You know, I think that of Sentai sometimes too (with the bare bones menus on their releases and some quality issues), but you can obviously tell they care through their social media presence, and also in the fact that more and more of their series are starting to include Japanese commentary tracks (subbed) and full soundtracks (see Dusk Maiden of Amnesia). With the exception of maybe Aniplex (who charge FAR more than most other R1 distributors), Sentai is the ONLY R1 company that has even attempted to bring over OSTs since the old-ADV and Geneon went out of the business.

If you like GuP, I don't see why you wouldn't in extension give Sentai support to bring over more and better releases.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:09 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
It's a Sentai release so I will not buy it. I will not support such a horrific business practise as the one Sentai Filmworks promotes/uses. Bare-minimum releases, quality check is nowhere to be found & they price 10-12 episode releases @59.99$ (Amazon price). It's beyond me why anyone would support this company, who shows no passion for the medium itself, nor for their customers.

The anime itself (GaruPan) is cool, but I will never again buy a Sentai Filmworks release. Never Laughing .

Sentai's titles aren't any more expensive for the episode content you get than Funimation's are. So get off your high horse and stop making a fool of yourself with such claims.

(And if this sounds a little rude, well, I'm getting real tired of hearing that unreasoned complaint. Sentai has its occasional problems, but gouging on pricing is not one of them.)

As for the rest: never knew about the naginata thing before. I suppose a link between the two could exist (and that would have been something interesting to discuss), but it's a tenuous link since tanks clearly are not meant for home defense or to be handed off as dowries.

And dtm42, I agree that you're getting way too hung up over details in a series that has no foundation in reality beyond the technical aspects of its tanks. And as I said in the review, if you can't get by the absurd premises then you won't enjoy the series.

Last edited by Key on Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7