• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: More Sailor Moon Dub Cast Announced For Anime Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised there's a demand for more English VAs from the SM dub. I guess it makes a kind of sense that there should be a renewed interest in SM with the new series coming, but the English cast? Really?

What's next? The English cast of Bubblegum Crisis is going to get booked because of AnimEigo's Blu-Ray Kickstarter?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
As to whether or not this cast will return? Depends on who gets it

Funimation? lol no, they'll make excuses and redub it because it would be cheaper

Sentai? Maybe, but either way most of these actresses aren't doing a lot of work now (or retired even) and getting them to come back won't be cheap.

I think it's accurate to say that if Funimation or Sentai Filmworks get it, none of these actors will be involved, since they're all based in Toronto, not Texas.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Sigh who cares anymore just give me 5sec of preview all ready
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
Dagon123 wrote:
As to whether or not this cast will return? Depends on who gets it

Funimation? lol no, they'll make excuses and redub it because it would be cheaper

Sentai? Maybe, but either way most of these actresses aren't doing a lot of work now (or retired even) and getting them to come back won't be cheap.

I think it's accurate to say that if Funimation or Sentai Filmworks get it, none of these actors will be involved, since they're all based in Toronto, not Texas.

Funi can have someway get involved to have the older cast to do voice recording to see that they still got it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:

Funi can have someway get involved to have the older cast to do voice recording to see that they still got it.

What do you mean "still"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I may have mentioned this before but I don't hate Lynda Ballentine's dub work and I can't really blame her for it as much as I do the voice director. It appears that he pretty much told her to act like Terri Hawkes and do an impression of her version of Usagi. Lynda's a pretty cool person like when she appeared at one of the conventions last year. She was so funny!
Joe anime

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
Are they already planning a Simul-dub a la Space Dandy for July 2014 on Toonami?!

And wow, what a 500th post!

No,they're not planning a simul-dub.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:

No they won't. FUNimation will go by their own talent pool. Besides, FUNimation can't be bothered to pay for air fares of Canadian talent.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
BlackJaded wrote:

No they won't. FUNimation will go by their own talent pool. Besides, FUNimation can't be bothered to pay for air fares of Canadian talent.

Well, they did get the Ocean cast for Black Lagoon to return for the OVA, but that was a dub where there was an actual demand for a return for those VAs.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Well, they did get the Ocean cast for Black Lagoon to return for the OVA, but that was a dub where there was an actual demand for a return for those VAs.

Black Lagoon is an exception but the new Sailor Moon series is expected to have 60 core episodes to coincide with the manga acts. I can't see FUNimation be willing to house Canadian talent for 60 episodes.
Sango chan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
It's good that they are having the cast of the Old eng Dub get together again for the 20th year of the series.

Please don't flame on me, this isn't hating on the voice actors....

But that is the Old Dub, I believe it's time they give us new cast. Some of the old dubs voices were ok, but some not so much....

Though It would also be nice if they got the 5th season as well.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Black Lagoon is an exception but the new Sailor Moon series is expected to have 60 core episodes to coincide with the manga acts. I can't see FUNimation be willing to house Canadian talent for 60 episodes.

And besides, Funimation rarely rarely ever records outside their jurisdiction of Texas. I mean let's face it, there was 50/50 chance that Roberta's Blood Trail would be recasted.

As for the the old cast, unless the new Sailor Moon gets licensed by, say, Nelvana or DHX, they probably won't be working any new anime that's not a Beyblade spinoff.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I wanna go.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Sango chan wrote:
It's good that they are having the cast of the Old eng Dub get together again for the 20th year of the series.

Please don't flame on me, this isn't hating on the voice actors....

But that is the Old Dub, I believe it's time they give us new cast. Some of the old dubs voices were ok, but some not so much....

Though It would also be nice if they got the 5th season as well.

We can't get a new cast without a new show or a rescue of the old show. Since none of that is available we get the old cast. Plus, this event wouldn't be as significant if it was a new cast.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
FYI: John Stocker was ADR director for the last 17 episodes of the 2nd season (English episodes 66-82), and the 3 movies. His last episode was a clips episode where different actors got to briefly play some parts that otherwise were only someplace in Eps 1-65. I remember seeing DVDs of the Sailor Moon R movie displayed in a brick and mortar store; I think it sold reasonably well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3