• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2014 Godzilla Film's Asia Trailer Unveils New Monsters

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:08 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Isn't that bad? A 60 million dollar domestic debut for a 160 million dollar summer movie seems like something to worry about, especially with X-Men coming the week after.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
I admit I know nothing about Godzilla's... er, rivals other than Mothra & MechaGodzilla. Anyone well-versed in kaiju universe here kind enough to enlighten me... who (or what) that winged fella is? Thanks Smile

Well, it's not Rodan or Mothra or Gyaos (which is from the Gamera franchise by Daiei). The monster has been revealed on the net for awhile it's just no one knew. This is what it looks like:

http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/85397/20140326/godzilla-2014-muto.htm

I had seen this thing chibi'ed on Amazon some months back because if you're going to revive a franchise you gotta have toys. And anyone that has followed the older series that came out of the 90's to the 2000's know that the monsters they had been creating were totally original with the exception of the "main" rivals like Rodan, Mothra, Mechagodzilla and King Ghidorah. Surprised
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Ronin2081 wrote:
I thought it was Rodan when I first saw it a while back but from what I understand they aren't using any of the opponents Godzilla has faced in the past, probably some copyrights issue or something along those lines.

Looks great though... I need to quit watching these trailer so I can go into the movie with lowered expectations.

Yeah from the trailer it looked like Rodan, but I remembered that this guy is entirely new.

I don't think there are any copyright issues since Toho is overseeing everything, so maybe they're saving the big guys (Rodan, Mothra, Ghidorah, etc.) for sequels Smile

Edit: Also, this trailer got me HYPED. Didn't think I could get more pumped for this movie but I am.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Isn't that bad? A 60 million dollar domestic debut for a 160 million dollar summer movie seems like something to worry about, especially with X-Men coming the week after.

Opening weekend is usually 20% of the eventual domestic gross.
Plus it says it's also tracking strong overseas.

According to Hollywood Reporter:

• That's not on par with the stellar $95 million domestic opening of the biggest movie of the year so far -- Captain America: The Winter Soldier -- but it's definitely hit territory. Male viewers are the primary audience, but the ensemble cast [particularly Cranston, will help to lure females], and the film's international box-office prognosis is strong, even though it's opening between The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and X-Men: Days of Future Past, both of which seem set to earn plenty of money for their respective studios.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm disappointed that it's an entirely new monster, but the movie looks like it'll be awesome regardless.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
v1cious: The people behind X-Men: DOFP should be the ones concerned, because the film has a higher budget than Godzilla, and the franchise has made the big money since The Last Stand. Plus, the allegations against Singer might hurt attendance.

Last edited by GATSU on Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
TG72

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm holding out hope that cocoon has a little Mothra inside. While they're at it, just bring over everyone from Monster Island Cool
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:48 am Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2