• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Jinki:Extend 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:46 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
What's the deal with the dub failing it in the Next Episode segments? Are they one of those completely-different-from-the-tone-of-the-series types of previews, á la Diamond Daydreams?

First, understand that I thought DD's Next Episode previews were a major improvement in English, since a) they actually had something to do with the next episode, and b) they weren't just inane drivel.

But back on subject, the Next Episode previews for J:E are very short and don't show anything. In Japanese it's usually just a female seiyuu saying straight-up "the next episode is titled xxxxxxx. Please look forward to it!" or something like that. In English they pull out longtime veteran Kira Vincent-Davis to do possibly her worst voice acting performance ever in trying to voice a sultry "You know you want it! <giggle>" in place of the "Please look forward to it!" Ugh!
Ah, I see... I was just racking my brain trying to think of things that would've made the previews present some kind of challenge or obstacle to the dub. But, apparently it's run-of-the-mill subpar acting and dumb scripting, and since they're so short, I suppose they don't sink the whole dub.

[OT]And on the Diamond Daydreams mini-tangent, I didn't find the English version of the previews worse at all. It was cool that they scripted actual previews from the ground up, instead of imitating the Japanese previews, which, if I may call a spade a spade, were pretty much pandering to fans of the game who are obsessed with the minutiae of the female VAs' daily lives. (I'm thinking that "Radio Boy" from episodes 9-10 would be a good approximation of that disturbing excessiveness, given the disturbing fanaticism shown by fans in the "Selling Event" extra for the Mizuiro (2003)OVAs.)[/OT]

Anyway, due to a certain error in judgement on my part, I seem to have an extra $250 that I would've wound up spending in December, so getting J:E seems even more likely now...

And while we're asking about future reviews & schedules, I was curious if we'd be seeing more Negima! reviews here; if not, no big deal, as I'd continue buying it no matter how bad or non-existant the reviews were Anime smile
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:39 am Reply with quote
(One of the) Best 1st episodes ever!!

That is how I felt after finishing the first ep of J:E. Apparently, I'm in the minority. I think one of my favorite scenes is when Aoba happens upon the Moribito 2 for the first time. The wonder and amazement she showed took me back to special times in my life like going to Disney World for the first time. That's about the best way I can describe it.

I was barely aware of this show's existence & had no plans to purchase it until I read an interview with Britney Karbowsky. I know that all VA's like the characters they voice, but there was something about the way Britney talked that grabbed my attention. So much so that I went right out and purchased vol 1 and then watched it right away. Wow! I'm glad I did Very Happy
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
And while we're asking about future reviews & schedules, I was curious if we'd be seeing more Negima! reviews here; if not, no big deal, as I'd continue buying it no matter how bad or non-existant the reviews were Anime smile

Probably later this week on Negima 2. (It's pending posting right now.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ranma824

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Thank you for the info! I can not wait to get a taste of Moon Phase. It's been on my brain ever since it was licensed due to it being everything I like all in a perfect package. Vampires and cute girls plus cat ears and, I've been told, great story to boot? I'm there!

Moon Phase is great fun! Don't let anybody here hold you back from this show.

The only thing that concerns me is on that Newtype preview of Tsukuyomi, they cut Neko Mimi Mode! This has me concerned as the opening is basically 1/5 the reason I enjoy the show!

Hopefully this is only relagated to the preview disc, and at worst the dub side of the offical release.

oh, and Jinki:Extend totally rocks, everyone go buy it!
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:

I saw the first five episodes of MoonPhase at a con back in April and I loved it. I'll be buying Vol. #1 when it comes out October 17. (Most likely one of the few anime DVD purchases I'll be making before my trip to SugioCon later this month.)
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:00 am Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:

Considering a) FUNi showed the OP at panels and b) it was included when MP was offered OnDemand, I wouldn't be too worried.

I definitely missed the part where Jinki Extend was set in the past. Makes sense, though, since the mechs are highly simplistic.

Almost reminds me of Dai-Guard. Almost.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:58 am Reply with quote
just watched the first episode of this on the Anime nerwork. seems pretty intriguing for a mecha show. i'm curious where the plot's going.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2