• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Momo Kyun Sword

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Harems are principally made for male audience and their pleasure

Just to be clear, Momo Kyun Sword is NOT a Harem anime, it may be a number of things but there is no single "every dude" that exists as a quasi viewership avatar.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:06 am Reply with quote
Animelover12313 wrote:
I mean come on, you're not even in the targeted group so why even bother watching the anime in the first place?

I enjoy most ecchi shows despite being outside their targeted age range, yet according to you I shouldn't even be watching them. I think that is ridiculous.

What's the sense in getting worked up into a frothing rage over a negative review of a fanservice show anyway? It's not like some gritty psychological thriller, where potential fans might avoid it due to poor critical reception. If someone likes big boobs bouncing around and the reviewer complains that there's too many boobs, they're too big, and they bounce around too much, is that person really going to decide they shouldn't watch it just because the review wasn't positive?

There is one issue with the review that renders it useless to me for the purpose of deciding whether I should give the show more of a chance. I gave up pretty early in the first episode based on the impression this was a typical "boing" type show as opposed to a more hardcore variant of ecchi which would better suit my interests. Unfortunately the review doesn't indicate anything substantive regarding the actual degree of fanservice in this series to confirm whether or not my instincts were correct, only that it is gross, creepy, offensive, and so on. It was left entirely unclear whether it would be gross, creepy, and offensive enough for me to enjoy.

Rensie wrote:
There ever will be a day where someone into harem and fan service shows will made a honest review?

Some of you folks must have your Internet tubes crossed with some alternate universe, or perhaps mine are, because the version of this site I read gives reasonably positive reviews of fanservice shows fairly often.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote
@minamikaze

Those are exactly my thoughts! And why I've stayed away from all the reviews so far except when I saw the front page blurb for this. It basically confirms what I was expecting for the ep reviews.

Why try to inject real-life political correctness and why do reviewers specifically pick one thing to make a comparison with real life situations, but are then not consistent across the board in their admonitions e.g. violence or when men are treated as sex objects for the fujoshi/otome shows? Reviewers should at least own up to to this.

And there are two ironies present: the fanservice or so-called vulgarity in this show was so tame, so weak, that is was disappointingly so. Sometimes there are shows where the story is a plot device for the fanservice i.e. the writing is in service to the fanservice--that is the intent, so this kind of statement:

Quote:
It didn't make feel dirty inside and actually had a logical plot that moved the overall story forward. It's not exactly “good” and can still be pretty boring, but some of the series' most objectionable features are absent. If this is the start of a trend towards better writing and characters and away from gross fanservice, nothing could make me happier.

makes me ask, "then what would be the point?" Miles Nelson seems to want a serious historical fiction show with nothing objectionable (read: no boobs) But that is not the intent!

Note: I do NOT think this is a good show at all, nor horrible--just plain mediocre. But that is because it is so bland and so tame, NOT because of the "vulgarity". If I were reviewing, I would be comparing against others in the genre like Manyuu Hikenchou which I consider to be the gold standard currently.

This honestly seems more like a hate-review than anything, confirmed by a complete misalignment of intended audience.

Last edited by configspace on Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
iloveturkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:18 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
The grossness being called out in this review is not just "the girls show skin." It's "sexual assault by tentacles" and other elements of nonconsensual voyeurism.

Criticism of these elements is not "prudish," it's "disapproval of portraying women as violatable sex objects," and it's a valid criticism, not a bias.

Which is ridiculous when the main point of a series is titillation. No one really has any ground to stand on in criticizing other people what their kinks and turn-ons are. Any time I see someone that says something akin to "this fetish is not sexy" it makes me laugh. The notion of applying the words such as 'gross' and 'creepy' to wanking material is comical.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I enjoy most ecchi shows despite being outside their targeted age range, yet according to you I shouldn't even be watching them. I think that is ridiculous.

Alright, let me rephrase that. What I was trying to say is that, the reviewer was clearly not into the genre of the show at all. When you're not into a show and purposely forcing yourself to watch it for the sake of making a review, it will likely turns out to be shits. For example, I hate sport anime, so I'm skeptical about watching one. When I force myself to watch one, I will most likely won't pay attention to it and just outright to say it has got to be the worst anime I've seen yet since I have no interest in the genre whatsoever. So my point is, if the person wasn't even interested in the anime or the genre for that matter, that person shouldn't have even bothered to force his/herself to watch to episode 9 of that anime......... But I mean, have you seen the reviews on the other fanservice shows? They're basically just attacking on the fanservice so it shows that they are not even interested these type of shows.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:13 am Reply with quote
LOL and in other news: mindless action fans give seal of approval to Bayformers. Laughing
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:22 am Reply with quote
The fact that I had to ask for what the fanservice is like is pretty much all that had to be said for his ability to review this series. We get that it's all about the fanservice and you hate it, but just glossing over the very thing you identify as the reason d'etre makes a bad review. E
minamikaze wrote:
Also, have you ever happened to check out the anime called "Free"? It isn't just female characters who are objectified for viewers.
That's completely different because it's completely different; she and Zac have come out and said as much. Zac gave a laundry list of excuses, but it comes down to the fact they're the sort of people who use terms like "male privilege" seriously, so their politics lets them pretend that, since Free gives fanservice of a "power group", they're not being complete hypocrites.
Rensie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:43 am Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
Some of you folks must have your Internet tubes crossed with some alternate universe, or perhaps mine are, because the version of this site I read gives reasonably positive reviews of fanservice shows fairly often.

Really? No, every harem or ecchi show is hated here, at least in 95% of the reviews i read, make me wonder why is reviewed in the first place since everytime it can simply sum up in "gross fanservice".
Give me a break please.

I prefer that ANN hire someone into harem or ecchi shows (there are tons of good writers on animenano to choose from) so at least we have a honest opinion without any prejudice.

Animelover12313 wrote:
Alright, let me rephrase that. What I was trying to say is that, the reviewer was clearly not into the genre of the show at all. When you're not into a show and purposely forcing yourself to watch it for the sake of making a review, it will likely turns out to be shits. For example, I hate sport anime, so I'm skeptical about watching one. When I force myself to watch one, I will most likely won't pay attention to it and just outright to say it has got to be the worst anime I've seen yet since I have no interest in the genre whatsoever. So my point is, if the person wasn't even interested in the anime or the genre for that matter, that person shouldn't have even bothered to force his/herself to watch to episode 9 of that anime......... But I mean, have you seen the reviews on the other fanservice shows? They're basically just attacking on the fanservice so it shows that they are not even interested these type of shows.

^ This.

ps: I consider this show very mediocre and brainless in the first place.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:58 am Reply with quote
I think people are being unnecessarily harsh on the reviewer. I agree that the overall tenor of his reviews of this title does indicate a bias against most fanservice shows, however I also get the impression that if he had found Momo Kyun genuinely funny or interesting in some way, he would have said so. In fact, he does point out some positives in his episode 9 review.

I don't think he automatically disliked the show because of its fanservice. I think he judged the show on its characters, plot, attempts at humour and found those lacking (for good reason, imo). The fact that fanservice is not his thing seems secondary to his overall opinion.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:59 am Reply with quote
When the new season started, I watched about half of the first episode, and found:

-nothing resembling a story.
-nothing remotely funny.
-nothing remotely sexy.
-a yawning void of wasted animator man-hours, to be enshrined forever on the bargain shelf at Book-Off, there to gather dust for all eternity.

Great review.
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:09 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I think he judged the show on its characters, plot, attempts at humour and found those lacking (for good reason, imo). The fact that fanservice is not his thing seems secondary to his overall opinion.

Judging a fanservice show for it's lack of plot and characters is like denouncing a phenomenal comedy like Mr. Bean for having hardly any "plot" or "characterization". Or complaining that a horror show is not funny enough.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:19 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

From the review of eps 1-8:

Quote:
Yes, Momo Kyun Sword is yet another entry in the genre of nude female fighting that includes Ikki Tousen and Master of Martial Hearts. While not as loathsome as those two examples...

I wasn't a fan of MoMH, either, but the first season of Ikki Tousen will always hold a special place in my stony, dark heart.

Yeah, that "Ikki Tousen" comment bothered me, probably for different reasons. Damidaler the Sound Robot, I can see that being called loathsome as how I understand how the word is defined but if Ikki Tousen, the most basic "show and tell" panty fighter there is, is "loathsome, then I have no idea what's up and what's down with this reviewer or the show itself.

I can't even get started on the "not as" part; There's comparing apples to oranges and then there's comparing puke green to wintergreen. "Wait, do you mean color or flavor?" "No, you know what I mean!"

My experience with these "per episode" reviews have been split between reactionist drivel like this or just outright bad writing. Still, it is more fun than I guess the show itself would be as it's the same gag done in Okami san only stretched out to an entire series; Check out Momotaro's dumplings, eh?

No, objectifying a drawing would be loathsome.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:18 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I think he judged the show on its characters, plot, attempts at humour and found those lacking (for good reason, imo). The fact that fanservice is not his thing seems secondary to his overall opinion.

Judging a fanservice show for it's lack of plot and characters is like denouncing a phenomenal comedy like Mr. Bean for having hardly any "plot" or "characterization". Or complaining that a horror show is not funny enough.

Your analogy is completely false. Fanservice does not = no plot or stock, boring characters. Queen's Blade has an interesting plot and fun characters. Momo Kyun is an adventure/comedy show with fanservice. As such, it is perfectly rational to assess its story-telling, its characters and how successful (or not) it is in actually being funny.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
-nothing resembling a story.

A McGuffin quest is still a story, it might not be a strong set up but one cannot deny there is a reason for the characters actions.
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Fanservice does not = no plot or stock, boring characters. Queen's Blade has an interesting plot and fun characters. Momo Kyun is an adventure/comedy show with fanservice. As such, it is perfectly rational to assess its story-telling, its characters and how successful (or not) it is in actually being funny.

I agree. However, those should not be the main deciding factors as to whether or not it succeeds in its intended purpose.

A comedy does not necessarily mean that it doesn't have to have a plot or deep characters, but those are more or less additional features that aren't really the main draw for viewers of the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5