• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Rabbit Ears

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Hawkmoth wrote:

I'm a dork. Embarassed

I still use a Nokia (Symbian).

Struggling to get the subjects of anime, Moomin and mobile phones tied together,

The Isumi line in Chiba has distinctive decorations on their trains:

and notice the way they stylise an ancient mobile phone:

Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Man that Motorola Razor was the sleekist thing ever.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
The one thing that's always confused me about this cellphone business is why Japan has that handy infared system to instantly get contact information while Western phones don't have that. At least no western phones I know of. It's super convenient so why don't all phones have that?
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
The one thing that's always confused me about this cellphone business is why Japan has that handy infared system to instantly get contact information while Western phones don't have that. At least no western phones I know of. It's super convenient so why don't all phones have that?

NFC is kind sorta the equivalent to the IR data transfer Japanese phones use. The only difference is two devices have to physically touch one another as opposed to just being in close proximity. It's being used for one as a an alternative payment choice like a credit card, but of course Japanese feature phones already dabbled in that tech.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Engadget did a little piece on Japanese phones not long ago:
Japan: the country where flip-phones refuse to die

Back in (or possible just before) the WAP days one company tried, unsuccessfully, to launch i-mode in the UK.

I also remember my cousin visiting from Japan years ago with a phone I envied for its colour screen and cutesy animations (I imagine if I even had a phone back then it was probably either my 2 line Ericsson T28 or the taller but still greyscale Sony J5).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
This week Answerman was very interesting to read.

About Jimmy's question (the 1st one): I guess nobody read my post here and this is what happened when ANN failed to report (or never did a follow-up article) on this. Mad

But seeing Ultraman on CR, I'm hoping Toei can use CR and Dramafever (which can really help a lot) as another way to get Super Sentai, and Kamen Rider gain more international exposure.

regarding the 2nd question: I agreed with this and I have nothing to add to that discussion.

Regarding Terry's question: Yeah I think you may want to read these articles:

New York Times article from 2002-Japan Slow to Accept New Phones

New York Times-Why Japan’s Cellphones Haven’t Gone Global

Regarding Justin (not Justin Servakis) question: Yeah beside TV Japan, there is also NHK World Premium. Like TV Japan, NHK World premium doesn't have a lot of English subtitled shows and is aimed at Japanese audiences not international viewers, so I find it unfortunate to watch shows without English subtitles unlike KBS World TV (which all shows have English sub). The worse of all, both TV Japan and NHK World Premium don't have internet stream nor Youtube channel.

That's all I have to say, I like this week Answerman. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
king 47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I was the one who asked about the cellphones.

Thanks for the answer, Justin.

It was a good read, and looking through the comments was interesting.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:51 pm Reply with quote
king 47 wrote:
I was the one who asked about the cellphones.

Thanks for the answer, Justin.

And thank you for the interesting question, the article I link above may also add to the answer and your question. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I would say sexual freedom in anime has been a big draw for many anime fans as well. Go Nagai's erotic action masterpieces, how most anime didn't censor nudity (even full frontal nudity at times), sexual comedies and more.

It had a lasting impression for me as to the kind of freedom anime afforded. Shame that outright nudity is often censored these days but I still love sexual elements in anime.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Ah, flip phones. Always felt good to hang up on people with those. Laughing
srlracing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Western phones used to have it and it was a bit of a pain in the butt to use especially early on when models from different manufacturers used different data transfer standards so they could not talk to each other even if they were both equipped with the IR blasters. Also the feature was often buried under multiple sub-menus and often required a security code you had to memorize out of the owner's manual. But as mentioned earlier it has been largely replaced by NFC which I believe has a single standard.
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote
For the phone thing - It wasn't until maybe 2012 or so that smartphones exploded in Japan. Before that, everyone used flip phones. Now it's very rare to see people using a flip phone. That's been what I've noticed while living here. This is true for Tokyo, other places may have took longer to catch on.

Anime has been slower to catch up to that, though more and more anime nowadays has smartphones.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I had always wondered about the cellphone stuff, so that was an interesting read. It was only this year that I finally got a smartphone (in fact I'm using it to type up this very message) It's great, but there's something about older phone that I like, mostly buttons (I still have some trouble using the touchpad to type, I need some sort of feedback, which is why my touch screen vibration is always on. ) I still have my first phone, a kick ass Sony Ericsson Walkman. Since I'm so used to seeing smart phones when I go out it felt weird seeing everyone on anime still using flip phones.
Vaisaga wrote:
Aha! I saw that in an episode of Haganai but didn't know what it was.

Oh and that last question reminded me of when I was watching Sherlock Hound in UTB Hollywood (a Japanese channel with sub's) the credits said they used the Pioneer release subs.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote
srlracing wrote:
Western phones used to have it and it was a bit of a pain in the butt to use especially early on when models from different manufacturers used different data transfer standards so they could not talk to each other even if they were both equipped with the IR blasters. Also the feature was often buried under multiple sub-menus and often required a security code you had to memorize out of the owner's manual. But as mentioned earlier it has been largely replaced by NFC which I believe has a single standard.

My flip phone (from about 2011) has a "Send via Bluetooth" option, but you need to have the specific name card open to get to the sub-menu, so I don't get much chance to use the feature.

mdo7 wrote:
Regarding Justin (not Justin Servakis) question: Yeah beside TV Japan, there is also NHK World Premium. Like TV Japan, NHK World premium doesn't have a lot of English subtitled shows and is aimed at Japanese audiences not international viewers, so I find it unfortunate to watch shows without English subtitles unlike KBS World TV (which all shows have English sub). The worse of all, both TV Japan and NHK World Premium don't have internet stream nor Youtube channel.

I recently noticed that my TWC package in Dallas has TV Japan, as well as Mnet (Korean dramas, pop, etc.), and several Vietnamese channels (I believe).
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Most of the reviews I've heard of 009 Re:Cyborg are pretty bleak.

It's pretty to look at (although it takes some getting used to) but about 2/3 of the way through it turns into the worst excesses of Ghost in the Shell movies and derails what would've been an otherwise fine action thriller.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5