• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki OAV 3 DVD 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Ah, so I wasn't the only disappointed and confused one. After the first three episodes I was starting to feel a bit of the "groove" again and I'd seen episode four in fansubs before the series was licensed (like, two years ago now?) and was really looking forward to some awesome fights scenes, and I'm given...Sasami's hair piece turning into a staff...uhg.

Episode 5 felt like a total departure from the main cast to focus on a pointless, imo, storyline and side characters. And we don't even see characters who were introduced earlier in the third OAV again so they feel even more like unexplained cameos. The whole scene on the bridge of the Chobimaru with Misao and spoiler[his "love" interest "dying" was completely out of tone with the rest of the episode, or really the series, and the whole time I was like "this has to be fake." ] Thankfully it was, because I was about to turn off the DVD at that point.

I wish they would have used the episode to set up Episode 6 which had an almost...Evangelion ending feel to me (and I hated the way Eva (tv) ended, so to have my all-time favorite series take a nose dive like that....). The animation was nice and "shiny" but the final episode was completely confusing and answered no questions but instead opened a whole new can of them. There were also a lot of inconsistancies that confused me, like there being two Ryo-ohkis, one with Ryoko and one with Sasami, and questions that may or may not be answered by the True Tenchi Novels. (One of them being mentioned by Mohawk52 reguarding Washuu.)

I also got really confused by the beginning of Episode 6 and so rewound to find the "end" of Episode 5, and I definately agree that there should have been a Chapter stop there. But even so, episode 6 was still filled with questions.

I don't expect the final DVD to answer any of my questions as it's supposed to be a bonus episode because the series sold well enough (if my understanding is correct). I'm going to buy it anyway though because I am a devoted Tenchi fan, and I hope to see some good old relationship hijinks in it. Don't get me wrong, I adore the sci-fi side of the story as well, but this volume was neither good relationship hijinks, nor good sci-fi, or any of the other things I adore about the Tenchi series... *sigh*
[/spoiler]
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:51 pm Reply with quote
SoloButterfly wrote:
There were also a lot of inconsistancies that confused me, like there being two Ryo-ohkis, one with Ryoko and one with Sasami,
It was hinted at in GXP, that though Washu had refused to replicate Ryou-Ohki class ships for the Jurai, she did create another cabbit unit that was less powerful and only a part of a vessel rather than the vessel itself. She named it Fuku.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:02 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
SoloButterfly wrote:
There were also a lot of inconsistancies that confused me, like there being two Ryo-ohkis, one with Ryoko and one with Sasami,
It was hinted at in GXP, that though Washu had refused to replicate Ryou-Ohki class ships for the Jurai, she did create another cabbit unit that was less powerful and only a part of a vessel rather than the vessel itself. She named it Fuku.

Well, I mean, Ryo-ohki was with Ayeka at the end of episode 4, and then she was with Ryoko in space against the Chobimaru but she was also still on earth with the rest of the gang. Maybe I just need to rewatch the episode...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote
SoloButterfly wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
SoloButterfly wrote:

Well, I mean, Ryo-ohki was with Ayeka at the end of episode 4, and then she was with Ryoko in space against the Chobimaru but she was also still on earth with the rest of the gang. Maybe I just need to rewatch the episode...
Well Fuku has a trade mark bell collar on to tell the difference, also she is a bit smaller than Ryo-Ohki. At least Fuku was in GXP.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:08 am Reply with quote
SoloButterfly wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
SoloButterfly wrote:

Naw, just re-watch episode 7 of the original OVA's and count how many Ryo-ohkis there are... Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2