• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Yamato 2199 Film's 1st 9 Minutes Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ordell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I know, Dessla can be conveniently brought back to life, but the redemption he had in the Comet Empire was easier than it would be now. Let's face it, 2199 made him into a madman. He was prepared to slaughter millions of his people. Any attempt to turn him into the anti-hero he became in the old series would ring hollow.

And true, Earth could blow off its promise to Starsha. Wouldn't be terribly honorable, but they could do it.

I just don't get why the producer wants to make a sequel. What backstory is there to tell? Who shot first? Well we know that much.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Ordell wrote:
I know, Dessla can be conveniently brought back to life, but the redemption he had in the Comet Empire was easier than it would be now. Let's face it, 2199 made him into a madman. He was prepared to slaughter millions of his people. Any attempt to turn him into the anti-hero he became in the old series would ring hollow.

The original Dessler was a total megalomaniac until one scene late in Yamato 2; in later productions such as Yamato III/Bolar Wars he's shown to not have reformed his style of leadership much (perhaps more so, quashing the Guardianan cult like a total dictator would do).

I could personally do without his inclusion in such a production altogether. In the classic saga he was one of the most popular characters, so there was little debate of bringing him back. Here I'm not so sure.

Ordelll wrote:
And true, Earth could blow off its promise to Starsha. Wouldn't be terribly honorable, but they could do it.

Since when have you known politicians to be honourable? I can see Admiral Hijikata trying his utmost to uphold Okita's promise, but politicians are likely to do whatever they want.

Ordell wrote:
I just don't get why the producer wants to make a sequel. What backstory is there to tell? Who shot first? Well we know that much.

Who do you mean when you say Producer? If you've got your nomenclature mixed up and are actually thinking Yutaka Izubuchi (the series director), then he has not expressed any interest in directing a sequel; he has actually stated he wants to do an OVA prequel series.
Ordell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:

Who do you mean when you say Producer? If you've got your nomenclature mixed up and are actually thinking Yutaka Izubuchi (the series director), then he has not expressed any interest in directing a sequel; he has actually stated he wants to do an OVA prequel series.

Yeah I meant Izubuchi. I couldn't think of his name.

I don't know what there is to explore in a prequel. The Comet Empire is an obvious sequel. And I would love an OVA around the dimensional sub. Flakken is a great character and Yabu being among the crew adds an interesting element.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:29 am Reply with quote
Ordell wrote:

Yeah I meant Izubuchi. I couldn't think of his name.

I don't know what there is to explore in a prequel. The Comet Empire is an obvious sequel. And I would love an OVA around the dimensional sub. Flakken is a great character and Yabu being among the crew adds an interesting element.

I believe Izubuchi said he wanted to cover the events like the Second Battle of Mars, where Okita pushed Garmillas back (which in turn led them to use long range planet bombs instead). Other things that it could cover include Yurisha's arrival on Earth in 2198, and what really happened in the incident that caused Yuki to lose her memories. That whole storyline was left somewhat open-ended come the end of 2199.
Ordell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
True, the Yuki storyline was never addressed. But that wouldn't require a full 26 episode series I would think. Either a movie or a short series.

I had not seen the original series in decades and rewatched it on YouTube. You guys were right, it sure looked like Desla was toast in that one.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Ordell wrote:
True, the Yuki storyline was never addressed. But that wouldn't require a full 26 episode series I would think. Either a movie or a short series.

A 6-10 episode OVA could cover various events, the first contact incident, the Second Battle of Mars, Yurisha's arrival on Earth and the incident that robbed Yuki of her memories. I honestly think they left the Yuki identity question open-ended so they could address it in a future production.

Ordell wrote:
I had not seen the original series in decades and rewatched it on YouTube. You guys were right, it sure looked like Desla was toast in that one.

Plus, in the original he was found in the "Fourth Dimension", which one could probably consider that universe's warp space. And where did he get defeated here? The only trick here is that in the original Yamato 2, Gatlantis was a major technology bastion, the equal or superior of Gamilas. This Gatlantis seems to be somewhat behind Garmillas civilization and technology levels.
Desslok

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
The only trick here is that in the original Yamato 2, Gatlantis was a major technology bastion, the equal or superior of Gamilas. This Gatlantis seems to be somewhat behind Garmillas civilization and technology levels.

Perhaps they could go the brute force method. What the Comet Empire lacks in the technological edge (no matter how badass the Magna Flame Gun may be), they make up for in numbers and sheer strength. Who needs superior technology when your big fortress can shrug off wave motion guns and blows up moons with BGFs?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2