• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Expand Anime Streaming Outside N. America

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:50 am Reply with quote
I'd subscribe just for Assassination Classroom, glad that the UK is a pretty safe bet and a surprisingly untouched market outside of Sony's Animax service (PC and PlayStation systems) and Crunchyroll which is worldwide anyway.

If we get One Piece and Detective Conan as well (whether CR provide it or FUNimation only), I'll be pretty happy.

InuYashaCrusade wrote:
Maybe this would quit people's whining. That would be nice.

Well, as long as they don't every show streaming in every region forever, there will be some justified whining to happen. Expect people to be on FUNimation's case regardless, even Crunchyroll has an audience outside North America and English speaking countries.

Yuvelir wrote:
No no no no. Please don't let this be true. I'm already paying for a Spanish CR subscription just for when Funi ruins shows for America, don't let this subscription go to waste too.

As far as I know, FUNimation do a good job with subtitles, assuming that your issue is with their dubs or DVD/Bluray releases there is nothing to lose with them reaching a larger audience.

Quote:
If they gonna have to pay the Japanese extra for the foreign licenses, they would want home distribution rights too in those territories, so woe be those local distributors in their turf.

Presumably they don't have enough resources to rule the world even if they can stream across it and sell a lot of releases in North America. Manga Entertainment UK and Madman Entertainment (in Australia) are likely to be partners for much much longer.

At most, their additional exposure may lead to them trying to sell more R1 sets worldwide much like CR does.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:21 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
No no no no. Please don't let this be true. I'm already paying for a Spanish CR subscription just for when Funi ruins shows for America, don't let this subscription go to waste too.

Uh, why don't you just continue to watch on CR and instead of complaining about Funimation?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:

Uh, why don't you just continue to watch on CR and instead of complaining about Funimation?

Indeed. Crunchyroll already shares the streaming rights to things like One Piece and Naruto with Funimation and Viz, respectively, so I doubt if that will change when Crunchyroll already has a foothold in other regions.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
I would expect that if Funimation starts streaming in other territories they'll get exclusive rights which prevents Crunchyroll from doing the same, which is how it often works in the US.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:44 am Reply with quote
They already seem to have exclusive rights to some countries that they can't stream to. Funimation streams a whole bunch of shows that Crunchyroll streams outside the US--*except* for native English speaking countries. It's suspicious, and there is speculation that Funi actually has English streaming exclusive rights. Now they'll be able to actually stream them overseas.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
If Funi locks shows down to their crap service in America now, they'll do it internationally once they expand.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
If Funi locks shows down to their crap service in America now, they'll do it internationally once they expand.

And that's an issue because??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Because it's a direct response to the nonsense advice you posted: you can't "continue to watch on CR" if they don't have it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Good on Funimation for trying to expand. And I had not realized how many shows Funimation is streaming this season; I am impressed.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Because it's a direct response to the nonsense advice you posted: you can't "continue to watch on CR" if they don't have it.

So. Crunchyroll has One Piece on there when Funimation has the US license to it. I don't think CR will stop or region block anime unless I get report from it and so far none yet.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
There are at least three shows this season that are available on Crunchyroll but not in the US because Funimation has the stream.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
There are at least three shows this season that are available on Crunchyroll but not in the US because Funimation has the stream.

My crystal ball tells me that many people will buy a VPN service to keep using crunchyroll, it is cheaper than paying for two streaming subscriptions that overlap most of the time.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
But if Funi expands outside the US, Crunchy's ex-US complements run the risk of being extinguished.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2