• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
5 Things You Might Not Know About FUNimation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
Just looking at chuck e cheese, gave me nightmares about chuck e cheese again. I really hated that place.

There was a Chuck E Cheese near our house in Fort Worth in the late 1980's. Made many a trip there with the oldest son as a 5 - 6 year old. What was odd was that their Pizza was actually fairly good, not too expensive and they were the only restaurant in that area so they got a "Noon Rush" of business people. Was strange to see three piece suits and high heels mixed in with the kids and costumed employees. Shocked

As far as the advertorials go, I can take them or leave them honestly. I likely will look at anything that seems interesting based on it's lead-in blurb.

Mark Gosdin
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I never knew Chuck E. Cheese had his own live-action show before becoming a mascot of his own pizza restaurant-arcade years later. Surprised Very interesting stuff.

We keep pronouncing it as Funi-mation, thinking it sounds Japanese, but their name (even spelled with the capitalization) was originally FUNimation, and was in the business of trying to get cheesy syndicated afternoon buyers for Dragon Ball/Z, among other syndie kids' shows.

Wait, people pronounce it Fu-ni mation? I would have thought that the way they pronounce their name before the majority of their shows would help with the pronunciation, but maybe not. The more you know I suppose!

I enjoyed this piece, sure its an ad piece, but it was quite interesting.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
The first Sentai/ADV voice actor to join Funi was Vic Mignogna.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:10 am Reply with quote
The Hummer trip looks like it must've been a blast!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:47 am Reply with quote
This is the first time I've stumbled on an "advertorial" at ANN. I'm a little conflicted. On the one hand, I love ANN, want it to prosper and advertorials help pay the billz. Plus, I happened to find this one interesting. Funi is another business venture I love and want to prosper.

But...I dunno, there's just something that niggles at me. Maybe it's because when I clicked on it I assumed it was another ANN "List" item and then finding out it was an advertorial felt a little bait and switchee to me, I dunno.

Generally, on other sites, it is obvious even before you click on something that it is paid advertising and maybe that's the difference.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:07 am Reply with quote
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Titan+Corrugated,+Inc./@32.9900131,-97.0395925,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x864c2c5d6c219717:0x7660ceabf6bffb4a

About an 8 min. walk from the Funi building is a Titan Corrugated, Inc. building. How appropriate.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:40 am Reply with quote
@Blood-
What were you using to look at the site when saw the ad? On my computer, in the area where it usually says "news" or "interest" it showed "ad" in a different color.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
^
I am curious about that.
Is it possible that the "AD" is not displayed on some devices?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:28 am Reply with quote
This is very interesting article to see. I didn't know Chris Sabat voiced a character from Chuck E. Cheese.

Also I do agreed with Blood-, it's strange to see a ANN article being labeled as ad. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I am using the Safari browser on my Mac. On my computer, all I see is the title of the thread, 5 Things You May Not Know About Funimation. There is no AD or any other designation before the title.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:57 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-

I forgot it shows up in the side bar.

Here is how it looks to me:

Or if you have pictures enabled, it will look like this.

Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
@ Alan45 - yep, that's how it looks on my computer, too. But I don't use the home page to navigate around ANN. When I fire up my computer and click on my ANN bookmark, it takes me right to the Forums page so I never see the list of articles like in your screenshot.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
CR85747 wrote:
Is it a good idea to run comment threads on advertorials? It dilutes the relationship between marketer and marketee.

The relationship is diluted enough as it is. I don't see how it makes a difference at this point. At least it actually says it's outright an advertisement in these particular cases. Like I think it should be seen as no secret at this point that Funimation and ANN have a very friendly and cordial relationship to put it one way.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Like I think it should be seen as no secret at this point that Funimation and ANN have a very friendly and cordial relationship to put it one way.

We try to have a cordial relationship with everyone in the industry, regardless of whether they advertise or not.

Media Blasters hated us for a while because we exposed their financial difficulties. I don't know if they've gotten over it or not.

-t
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I am using the Safari browser on my Mac. ... There is no AD or any other designation before the title.

Thank you for posting that.
Even though I definitely do know better, from long experience, I still find myself making the mistake of assuming that everybody sees the WWW the same way that I do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3