• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo Unveils Latest Anime Site

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:50 pm Reply with quote
You guys get to see the staff list?

anime#7087

And here are some screencaps:

http://hobby-channel.net/content/view/1803/67/

One thing is for sure, it's definitely going to be a shoujo series! Surprised
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:22 pm Reply with quote
No sale until I get a Faust anime. Done by BONES or something.
guendolen_sama

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Actually, when the previous person said "Titus," I believe they were referring to Titus Andronicus, one of Shakespeare's first plays, and nowadays one of the least-read. In fact, it's often forgotten about. A lot of scholars admittedly find it something of a melodramatic mess, but others have been paying more attention to it in recent years. Oh, yes, and there is a Shakespearean tragedy that is worse than Romeo and Juliet, and that is another less-known piece, Troilus and Cressida. All I can say is HURK. Confused And this is an ex-English major talking here....

Nagisa wrote:
scortia wrote:
or Titus?)

I think even Gonzo, with its giant robot Seven Samurai, deep space Photoshop-textured Count of Monte Cristo, and now Pegasus-riding cloud city Romeo & Juliet, would be hard-pressed to top the visual fun-house that was the Julie Taymor Titus with Anthony Hopkins. Laughing

A Hamlet or Macbeth (or an adaptation of Kurosawa's adaptation of Macbeth Razz ), or even as I said, an Othello, however, would be very interesting prospects indeed.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:18 pm Reply with quote
guendolen_sama wrote:
Actually, when the previous person said "Titus," I believe they were referring to Titus Andronicus, one of Shakespeare's first plays, and nowadays one of the least-read.

It's unclear who you're referring to, but since I have a hunch it's me, yeah, I'm not as dumb as I appear to be. I'm fully aware of what "Titus" is. Now go to IMDB and have a peek at the "Titus" I was referring to.

I brought it up in this thread about visually abstract Shakespeare adaptations for a reason. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
The best Gonzo shows I've seen tend to be those where the story and premise have already been laid out for them by older works (a la Gankutsuou and Samurai 7) so I'm hoping the same will apply to this.

What's the timetable on this one, next spring?

I've noticed that too. Their adaptations tend to be good, depeding on who's doing it, and how much they mess with it. I've also seemed to notice that their shows are often better when they don't focus on showing off their 3D CGI skills. Cool

I'm hoping on something like Gankutsuou myself, which was a great focus on character and storyline, while only using CG for the painting and some 3D. The screenshots look promising here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Wait, one of the screen shots has....Juliet in armor, with a SWORD?? Are they making her some sort of Joan of Arc or something? O.o;;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:05 am Reply with quote
TRAILER PLEASE, TRAILER. I am surprised though that Gonzo is taking this one up. Course I didn't think I'd ever see this story make it in the first place.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:31 am Reply with quote
While I have yet to see Gankutsuou (I have all the DVDs, but I just haven't had the time yet) I look forward to seeing what Gonzo does with this.

That said, its probably my least favorite Shakespeare play (of the ones I've read), so for artisitic liberties in this series I say: have at it, so long as the ending isn't changed signficantly. I'd love to see Gonzo give this kind of treatment to Hamlet or Macbeth.

I wonder if they'll do a Greek tragedy next?
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:02 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I would muder someone to get MacBeth or Hamlet turned into an anime, murder most foul. Never cared for Romeo and Juliet much, which is odd as I like tragic romance.

Though I did see MacBeth redone in Gargoyles. Plus the first Blade movie was somewhat MacBeth. Oh and let's not get into Lion King being Kimba + Hamlet.
jigoku+shonen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:38 am Reply with quote
killer news!

Gankutsuou was one of the animes that brought me into this crazy nerdy little world... This seems to be touted as a 'sequel' in a series of classical translations.

High hopes for this series, but:

-I;ve heard that its notoriously difficult to translate Shakespeare into japanese... how will the screenwriters get around that? (taking gratuitous liberties, i bet..)

-how can they make an interesting story out of such a well-known plot? Gankutsuou (err, the Count of Monte Cristo, I should say), for its part, was not AS well known of a story as Romeo and Juliet. Monte Cristo would be known to the usual college student, but R+J is known even to eighth graders...

Next for Gonzo: anime version of Tolstoi's War and Peace, beating Naruto's 200+ eps with 500!
Strephon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:35 pm Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
Now the question is: Will the ***subbers (and whoever picks up the license) use modern english or Shakespearean english?

The mind boggles. "Romeo-kun, Romeo-kun, wherefore art thou Romeo-kun?"

Seriously, though, if the anime quotes the play in Japanese (or English, for that matter, thinking of the French in Gankutsuou) the translation should definitely use the original Shakespeare. If it's deliberately put into archaic Japanese to achieve a similar effect, the English should reflect that (though I'd rather not see an attempt at period English by somebody who doesn't know what they're doing). Otherwise, it should probably be done in modern English, as appropriate.

jigoku+shonen wrote:
-how can they make an interesting story out of such a well-known plot? Gankutsuou (err, the Count of Monte Cristo, I should say), for its part, was not AS well known of a story as Romeo and Juliet. Monte Cristo would be known to the usual college student, but R+J is known even to eighth graders...

Again, if we use Gankutsuou as a model, there's likely to be significant deviation from the original. Especially because Monte Cristo didn't suffer from R&J does as a subject for adaptation, namely shortness. Monte Cristo had more than enough material to make a full series out of, and the plot still bears little resemblance to the original by the middle of the series; R&J is going to need padding no matter what.

That said, I agree that R&J is most famous for its ending, so it's going to be a challenge to either change it and have people accept it, or keep it and not feel it's massively telegraphed. (West Side Story did manage it, however, so it can be done.)
Someone_II

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:53 pm Reply with quote
jigoku+shonen wrote:
Next for Gonzo: anime version of Tolstoi's War and Peace, beating Naruto's 200+ eps with 500!

If they could fit the 1300 pages of La Comte de Monte Cristo into 24 episodes then why not make the 1500 of War and Peace 26 episodes? Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2