• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Might Makes Rights

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
Well the vast majority of people who watch anime do so in the original Japanese. Even in countries like Germany where essentially everything licensed gets dubbed most people watch anime w/ JP language.

Do you have a source for that claim?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I used to care about the sub vs dubs thing, but after 20+ years of watching anime I just learned japanese by osmosis so it's a non factor nowadays.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:
Well the vast majority of people who watch anime do so in the original Japanese. Even in countries like Germany where essentially everything licensed gets dubbed most people watch anime w/ JP language.

Yeah, I wonder about that as well. I would think that the number of more casual viewers would be much higher than that. For example, a lot of people I know watch/watched DBZ or Full Metal Alchemist or Naruto, etc in English. Even if they didn't become full on fans of Japanese animation, they are still viewers.

Also, I imagine that if it is the case that the Germans mostly watch in Japanese, I would think that has more to do with watching as the show airs, and doesn't necessarily have to do with a preference. Unless Germans get dub simulcasts or something of that nature and actively choose Japanese over German.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
The few Gemans I know also know English and don't have a problem with dubs. However, many Germans who don't know spoken English well do better reading English, so it may be that many prefer subs but not really for the Japanese (though there are couple I have seen that have learned). For myself, there are a lot of dubs I like but then there are shows like Dusk Maiden where the Japanese voice actors do better and I enjoy listening in Japanese and following the subtitles.

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Fri May 08, 2015 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

There are no scientific studies or any kind of data collecting group that has created numbers for this, and i'm guessing that's what you're after. I'm just speaking from the population around the globe that watches anime, and not just the US. And of course my many years on multiple anime sites, especially the large MAL.

Ich kann auch ein bisschen Deutsch sprechen, so i've spent some time lurking around german anime fans.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I like inserts when they were useful. FUNimation used to put 24-page booklets in with their Dragon Ball/Z/GT season sets with character bios and episode summaries. The episode summaries are VERY useful for a franchise with 508+ episodes, and you're not sure the exact number of the episode(s) you want to watch. FUNimation discontinued them before I finished collecting those sets, and it's a little annoying. If anyone has a copy of the booklets for Dragon Ball Seasons 4-5 and DBZ Season 9 and is willing to part with them, please message me! ;Anime smile

(And yes, I know you can download and print them off online, but they're not formatted right, and it's annoying)

And I like dubs because I just find it more fun and enjoyable to watch in my own language, and also, I like keeping up with the industry and supporting the actors' work.
thenix

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm really surprised to hear all the people that really don't like subtitles. I understand having a preference but there are so many benefits that dubs can match. I think originally I watched dubs because that's all that was on tv and DVDs often didn't have natural language. I then wanted to watch the show as it was originally made and meant to be heard. This is one advantage as even if dubs try their hardest they often can't match some things just because of the language barrier. Some characters personalities change with different voice actors. At the time too there weren't many good English dubs. Recently though dubs have gotten better and I realized I'm being and old cranky dude by not giving them a chance. Now I'll give the dub a chance and if I don't like it I go to sub. I've hardly seen a show where I didn't like the Japanese voice cast, but with English it seems to be about 50/50 for me.

I never really mind what other people do though. Do what you like and if I think subs are better then I just feel sorry that you are missing out on them. Nothing to be bothered or angry about.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
The few Gemans I know also know English and don't have a problem with dubs. However, many Germans who don't know spoken English well do better reading English, so it may be that many prefer subs but not really for the Japanese (though there are couple I have seen that have learned). For myself, there are a lot of dubs I like but then there are shows like Dusk Maiden where the Japanese voice actors do better and I enjoy listening in Japanese and following the subtitles.

I might be misunderstanding you, but you seem to think many German dub watchers actually watch English dubs of anime and not German language dubs... I'd say that while not as rare as Japanese people watching English dubs, it's still very rare.

German people are high on dubs in general and that's not restricted to anime, however, even niche titles like Wixoss gets dubbed there, but in anime most Germans still watch anime in Japanese.
scriver058

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Definitely love how the dub/sub question was handled here; people often don't look beyond their own bubble. The vast majority of my anime is watched in dub form with the occasional sub for a simulcast, something that doesn't have a dub or something with an unwatchable dub which is very rare nowadays.

My thoughts on this subject have always been that unless you know Japanese, you wont get everything out of watching it in that language that you should. Whether you're watching a sub or dub, you're letting someone else do the translating for you and translating is rarely exact. So give me a dub with a script that's faithful to the spirit of the original but tailored more to the English language.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

Touma wrote:

SouthPacific wrote:

There are no scientific studies or any kind of data collecting group that has created numbers for this, and i'm guessing that's what you're after. I'm just speaking from the population around the globe that watches anime, and not just the US. And of course my many years on multiple anime sites, especially the large MAL.
{Fixed your inline quotes for you. ~nobahn}
I think that would still miss a lot of people. I mean, I imagine in countries that get no dubs, sure that would be the case perhaps, but in countries that do(who I would imagine consume more given that licensing and dubbing is considered more viable), I think the more casual viewers would have much more presence. Websites on the internet would not capture their viewership, because they wouldn't go on them generally. I'm not sure it's as much of a vast majority as you claim. As you said though, I don't think there is much actual data on this. Suppose all we can do is make educated guesses.
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quote
The only time I ever read the essays from Criterions, digibooks, etc. is when I'm waiting for others to get the hell in the room so I can start the movie. Smile
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

Ich kann auch ein bisschen Deutsch sprechen, so i've spent some time lurking around german anime fans.

MAL is exactly one of those "hardcore" anime fan sites I was referencing (MAL is possibly the most hardcore sub-loving anime fan site in existence). You're just like the person who asked the question in the main article. Your source is extremely biased.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The only time I can think of where such a thing was included (that was written by someone unrelated to the original work) would be when Manga Video included a brief essay by Carl Horn in with their DVD release of Wings of Honneamise.

I've not got that or any Criterion titles, but Manga UK have included a Jonathan Clements essay-type thing with at least one release of their discs. Darned if I can remember what it was though - either Akira or something Masamune Shirow-related.

Quote:
If you're not using clips of the original show and you're not using copyrighted music, YouTube likely won't flag you for copyright violations, and no studio will object to it.

My one popular video is a clip of the music box that came with one of the Clannad boxes from Japan. YouTube has suggested I monetize it but I've never done it since the tune it plays is copyrighted.

Quote:
Sales data, of course, is not public. However, it is no secret that without a dub, most disc sales reach a ceiling of around 5,000 units.

It's a dated fact now, but it is still a fact that dubbed VHS tapes sold better than subbed ones when when both were available (I haven't ever seen any of the data, but I've heard it on reliable authority more than once).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what Japanese viewers think when they're confronted with the issue of subbed or dubbed western media.
KamikazeJawa

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Missylissy90 wrote:
I have a friend whose husband is legally blind. He watches it on a huge monitor but he can't see the subtitles, so as such, he can only watch dub. So in a way, while some dubs do get on my nerves by the voices they pick, I can see why they are needed. There are some anime in fact where I sometimes prefer the dub over the subs and some anime where I prefer the sub over the dub. Just depends.

Someone give this girl the Lurker of the Month Award!

Also Rizuchan's view pretty much summarizes my view on dubbed anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13