• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Let's Dance a Waltz GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Regardless, people are complaining about a fat heroine not staying fat is a little messed up to me. There wasn't any mention of anorexia or how that weight loss is unhealthy. It seemed more like they're saying an overweight character makes the manga better verses a thin one. Lol what the heck......why should her weight matter!?

Because people get excited when they think something might feature a character who looks like them or resembles a version of themselves that's largely underrepresented in genre fiction, and when it turns out the author basically abandons that representation, they wish it had turned out differently.

If you think about the point they're making it isn't difficult to understand in the slightest and nobody's calling for a boycott, they're just expressing minor disapproval. That happens. It's an opinion.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
As someone who is actually in the middle of trying to get healthier, if anything, I think that showing weight-loss through increased exercise and proper dietary choices is a great message to send.

It's just that it sounds like this series does it really drastically. If it had instead chose it show it a bit more gradually, I don't think as many people would have as much of an issue.

Last edited by Shenl742 on Wed May 13, 2015 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, I think overweight characters are underrepresented specifically in this genre because the Japanese don't think it's healthy. But that's only my assumption.

Andou probably didn't do proper research on realistic weight loss. I don't think she's voicing that chubby girls NEED to lose lots of weight really fast or anything with this work of hers.

Quote:
I think that showing weight-loss through increased exercise and proper dietary choices is a great message to send.

I agree. :O There's a cute manga by Ema Tooyama about a chubby girl who joins a swimming club to do this. It's called
Pocha Pocha Suieibu.
Via_01

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I certainly understand where the complains are coming from, however, considering that this manga doesn't even have weight loss as a theme, I do believe it's blowing it out of proportions to say that the girl suddenly being thin on the next chapter was a ruining moment (an expression that doesn't sound like minor disapproval).

It's fine if it bothers them; but let's not make it seem like the manga is defined by this single and honestly small problem.
Chibi Shoujo

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Because people get excited when they think something might feature a character who looks like them or resembles a version of themselves that's largely underrepresented in genre fiction, and when it turns out the author basically abandons that representation, they wish it had turned out differently.

This. There are a lot of females out there that wouldn't mind having a relatable character in terms of weight.

Shenl742 wrote:
It's just that it sounds like this series does it really drastically. If it had instead chose it show it a bit more gradually, I don't think as many people would have as much of an issue.

That's pretty much it. Honestly, if the extreme weight loss in such a short amount of time hadn't been pointed out, I don't think it would have phased me in the slightest. My original thought while reading it for the first time was "Good for her. She lost weight doing something she loves like dancing, and she looks good doing it!"
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, I read vol 01 and this is a really cute series.

Hime is VERY CUTE. Both versions of her. She's cute chubby, and she's cute thin, and I look forward to the next volume. I love the waltzing theme to begin with as it is the most romantic of dances.

Tango just needs to surrender already. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2