• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! Episodes 1-12 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
championferret

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 6:13 am Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
The person who wrote the review uses the term 'fujoshi' incorrectly. I'm appalled at the absence of professionalism here Laughing

'with the rise in popularity of bishonen shows aimed at fujoshi,'
I fail to see how, and you've neglected to elabroate on this.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:03 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:

Then I suggest you ask google what 'fujoshi' means instead of my humble person since I'm not as omniscient. Equating 'a female anime fan who likes cute boys' with a 'fujoshi' is the sort of fallacy that makes me facepalm every time I see it.
championferret

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:30 am Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
championferret wrote:

Then I suggest you ask google what 'fujoshi' means instead of my humble person since I'm not as omniscient. Equating 'a female anime fan who likes cute boys' with a 'fujoshi' is the sort of fallacy that makes me facepalm every time I see it.

...Where in that sentence does it say fujoshi=female anime fan? It says theres been more shows aimed at fujoshi. I dont see how this is up for debate; it's true. There has definitely been a huge increase in shows made with fujoshi fans in mind - that doesn't automatically mean everyone who likes these shows is a fujoshi, or that only fujoshi can like these shows, nor does the sentence imply it. But it's pretty obvious that there's been a slow boom in shows made with fujoshi fans in mind, and whether CHED would have existed without this boom is up for debate but I'm willing to bet that it wouldn't.

I know it's apparently the cool thing to get mad at reviewers on this site and go on about how unprofessional they are while leaning back and smugly folding your arms, but come on.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:08 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:

...Where in that sentence does it say fujoshi=female anime fan? It says theres been more shows aimed at fujoshi. I don't see how this is up for debate; it's true. There has definitely been a huge increase in shows made with fujoshi fans in mind - that doesn't automatically mean everyone who likes these shows is a fujoshi, or that only fujoshi can like these shows, nor does the sentence imply it. But it's pretty obvious that there's been a slow boom in shows made with fujoshi fans in mind, and whether CHED would have existed without this boom is up for debate but I'm willing to bet that it wouldn't.

Care to name some of those shows and explain what makes you think they were aimed at fujoshi rather than the general female otaku audience?

The wording of the first paragraph ('There are two reasons this show') implies that Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! is a show aimed at fujoshi, which is a truth so partial it borderlines a fallacy. There is an otome mobile game based on the anime for goodness' sake. It's a show aimed mainly at the female audience, not exclusively girls who like shipping men with other men. As simple as that.

Another gripe I have with this review is that right at the start it implies than shows with a large (or almost exclusive) bishounen cast are something of a novelty whereas, in fact, those shows have been around at least since the mid-'90s.

championferret wrote:
I know it's apparently the cool thing to get mad at reviewers on this site and go on about how unprofessional they are while leaning back and smugly folding your arms, but come on.

As it should be. A reviewer revelling in the thoughts of their own infallibility and I-know-better-than-thee is a horrid thing indeed.
championferret

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:31 am Reply with quote
You're getting mad about something that literally isn't even there because you misunderstood the intent of the sentence.

It's like if there was another review that said 'there have been a lot of otaku shows aimed at siscons lately' and someone stormed into the forum all NOT ALL OTAKU ARE SISCONS!! UGH UNPROFESSIONAL despite the sentence not actually implying that.

Also...are you trying to deny that CHED is full of queerbaiting? It knows what it was doing and what subset of fans it was trying to appeal to with that. I don't think it's a 'fujoshi show' completely because it doesn't fully commit to this and that part of it felt half-assed, but it makes perfect sense to call it one based on that. Regarding the otome game...so..what?? There's a dumbass Free! game on the Kyoani site where you 'date' the boys too, does that mean that it isn't made with a fujoshi audience in mind either?
Are you trying to suggest CHED is an otome show, because it's definitely not. Like I said, my problem with the show is that it can't decide what the hell it wasnts to be out of quite a few things but 'otome' is not one of those.

It sounds to me like you just have some massive problem with fujoshi and will take on opportunities to complain about them, even at the expense of insulting a reviewer for no reason.

Last edited by championferret on Thu May 14, 2015 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
It's a term for girls who like shipping guys together and yaoi. I'm well-aware of what it means, and championferret is right about how I use it. I even mention in the review that there's homoeroticism between the characters (although I agree with championferret that it's pretty half-assed, which is why I didn't spend much time discussing it).

There have been a larger number of hit anime in Japan that have large fujoshi audiences, whether or not they're specifically pandering to them (examples: Free!, Uta no Prince-sama). I've heard from people who've visited Akibahara recently that there's more fujoshi-aimed merchandise than there used to be, that it's seen as a more lucrative anime market. While there have always been shows for them, Free!'s mere existence shows that studios are taking that demographic more seriously and trying to create higher-quality products for them. ("Fujoshi" shows traditionally are relegated to lower-budget studios than pandering shows for male anime fans.) That's what I meant by that.

I didn't elaborate on this in the review itself because I wanted to focus on the merits and faults of this particular show, not how it fits into larger marketing trends.

Last edited by SailorTralfamadore on Thu May 14, 2015 12:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:48 pm Reply with quote
It can't be an otome anime because there is no female protagonist. What are you even arguing about?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Fujoshi have replaced the old shoujo anime crowd.
Yause

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:54 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Fujoshi have replaced the old shoujo anime audience.

It's a different target audience. The previous line of thinking was that female viewers just weren't interested in buying DVDs since shoujo anime rarely sold. However, once the industry discovered new success with fujoshi-oriented content (it was the emergence of Blu-Ray players coupled with the rise of social media/online communities that really got things going), the milking began at full speed.

In other words, it isn't much different from the moe emphasis we hear about all the time. The producers have zoned in on a narrow target that's more willing to part with their money than most people.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:32 am Reply with quote
Also, fujoshi shows by definition must have heavily male casts.. General "shojo" usually centers around female characters, and can even be majority female (magical-girl shows) or at least have a balance (more slice-of-life or romance-oriented shojo).

"Shojo" is anything that primarily aims at preteen or teenage girls, so that's a much broader category, even if (like "shonen") it's associated more with certain genres than others.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
It's a term for girls who like shipping guys together and yaoi. I'm well-aware of what it means, and championferret is right about how I use it. I even mention in the review that there's homoeroticism between the characters (although I agree with championferret that it's pretty half-assed, which is why I didn't spend much time discussing it).

There have been a larger number of hit anime in Japan that have large fujoshi audiences, whether or not they're specifically pandering to them (examples: Free!, Uta no Prince-sama). I've heard from people who've visited Akibahara recently that there's more fujoshi-aimed merchandise than there used to be, that it's seen as a more lucrative anime market. While there have always been shows for them, Free!'s mere existence shows that studios are taking that demographic more seriously and trying to create higher-quality products for them. ("Fujoshi" shows traditionally are relegated to lower-budget studios than pandering shows for male anime fans.) That's what I meant by that.

I didn't elaborate on this in the review itself because I wanted to focus on the merits and faults of this particular show, not how it fits into larger marketing trends.

In other words you claim that it's the merchandise that determines the intended audience of a show? I'm glad to learn that an adaptation of a certain shounen manga is targeted at adults and fans of big busts.

Jokes aside, it's sort of unprofessional of you to state that there's more and more shows aimed at fujoshi not basing your claims on your own analysis of recent trends in anime or interviews with people who work in the anime industry, but rather assuming this following what you were told by visitors to Akiba.

How does one distinguish a fujoshi-targeted piece of merchandise from a not-fujoshi-targeted merchandise anyway? Of course, if an item has two males in a suggestive pose on it it's likely to be fujoshi-targeted. But what about an item featuring a single male? How can you tell apart, say a fujoshi-targeted tapestry or a mug from its counterpart aimed at girls who want to fantasise about their imaginary anime boyfriends? Would the people you talked to be able to tell the difference?

SailorTralfamadore wrote:
Also, fujoshi shows by definition must have heavily male casts.

So do otome game adaptations. And shounen manga adaptations. Are you trying to say that a female self-insert amongst a large male cast is ALWAYS required for a show to be labelled not as 'fujoshi-targeted' but as 'targeted at the female audience' ? Because judging from the fan activities I see on the internet this is totally untrue. Just a couple of examples with rooms of Kuroko no Basket fans:

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/manumanumanu/imgs/e/4/e490bbf0.jpg
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/qmanews/imgs/6/e/6eb5a6d8.jpg
http://pic.prepics-cdn.com/kazunari10/20317707.jpeg

championferret wrote:
It sounds to me like you just have some massive problem with fujoshi and will take on opportunities to complain about them, even at the expense of insulting a reviewer for no reason.

God forbid people come to the forum and >gasp< disagree with the reviewer! Such fiends! It's an offence worse than robbery.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So do otome game adaptations. And shounen manga adaptations. Are you trying to say that a female self-insert amongst a large male cast is ALWAYS required for a show to be labelled not as 'fujoshi-targeted' but as 'targeted at the female audience' ? Because judging from the fan activities I see on the internet this is totally untrue. Just a couple of examples with rooms of Kuroko no Basket fans:

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/​manumanumanu/​imgs/​e/​4/​e490bbf0.​jpg
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/​qmanews/​imgs/​6/​e/​6eb5a6d8.​jpg
http://pic.prepics-cdn.com/​kazunari10/​20317707.​jpeg

This may sound crazy to you, but maybe there are a bunch of heterosexual female fans who obsess over this or that hot anime guy and at the same time want to see them kissing other hot anime guys. What a world we live in.
Ahiru

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
As it should be. A reviewer revelling in the thoughts of their own infallibility and I-know-better-than-thee is a horrid thing indeed.

I'm still trying to figure out where anything remotely suggestive of this appeared in the review.

I must be losing my reading comprehension abilities in my old age...
scarletrhodelia

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:32 am Reply with quote
This is a really good review. It treats the subject fairly and with respect, and highlights points that I hadn’t seen, such as parallels to Princess Tutu. Then we have someone who nit picks all the life out of it, misrepresents what was stated, is wrong on every point, posts offensive and irrelevant pictures, and when answered, refuses to recognize when enough is enough. I wish the forum had the capability to allow blocking.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:14 am Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
championferret wrote:

How about "female anime fan who likes to imagine straight cute boys getting romantic with each other no matter how unlikely that is to happen"? Because that is what it means, and the universe does not care if you facepalm until doomsday. That is the definition.

I am sorry, but I look at this anime, and I try, I really do, but all I end up thinking is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqBFNBbh7r0
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3