• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo to Premiere English JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Dub With Director Naokatsu Tsuda

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
AutoOps007 wrote:
I think it's pretty interesting that Warner Bros are licensing the series themselves. Up until now Warner Bros would pretty much just distribute anime that other companies (such as Viz Media) licensed. But now it seems Warner Bros are starting to license anime themselves, rather than just distribute for other companies. It looks like we now have a new anime licensor in town. I hope the JoJo dub becomes hugely successful so they can start licensing more anime.

Jojo's is a Warner Bros Japan property and since it has a lot of music references (some changed in the subs, with Araki's approval just like with All Star Battle) & old songs used as ED themes, those probably would have made things impossible for any other company (even Viz) to pick up here without there being some kind of problems. The fact that they announced in their press release that it will have "Roundabout" (which is a WB song along with "Last Train Home") has me hopeful that they would keep all of the songs if they release Stardust Crusaders.

As for Warner Home Video licensing more anime, I doubt that will happen but it will be interesting to see what will happen with WB Japan's other show, Terra Formars, especially since Kaze picked up the UK license last month.

Actually Warner Bros Japan doesn't own Jojo, David Production does. Warner Bros only own part of it. Yes, they were involved the in the production, but that aside they only own some of the music and the Japanese distribution rights.
I think Warner Bros ended up getting the license because they thought it would be much easier to just stick with the distributor they already had and that it would get done easier with less problems involved.
Another company such as Viz could've got the license but it would've taken much longer to license, and they would've probably had to replace some of the music.

If Jojo becomes really successful then I don't see why Warner Bros wouldn't license more anime. All be it, most other series wouldn't be as successful as Jojo, but I'm sure they're smart enough to realize that there are more anime's out there that can be successful.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Cool. Will probably pick it up, though I wish it was getting a blu-ray too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2