• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Needs To Be Approved By A Licensor?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what some of the creators thought when they saw the 4kids dub. I heard when Princess Mononoke was going to be localised, someone at Ghibli sent them a real Katana with a note saying "No Cuts"
addiemon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Follow-up question: since most anime are produced by a consortium, how much does control does the individual licensor company typically have vs the consortium? Can the licensor just give approval, or does everything have to go to the consortium? Some of both, depends on the committee?...
Buzz201

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I wonder what some of the creators thought when they saw the 4kids dub. I heard when Princess Mononoke was going to be localised, someone at Ghibli sent them a real Katana with a note saying "No Cuts"

Worth noting that the katana was sent to Harvey Weinstein, heard of Miramax at the time, not 4kids...
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Worth noting that the katana was sent to Harvey Weinstein, heard of Miramax at the time, not 4kids...

Oh yeah I know that, both where separate statements. The Mononoke thing apparently was because of the botched Nausicaa dub.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
ly000001 wrote:
This reminds me of one ANNCast or other podcast episode, where the people who worked on the EVA TV translation said they wanted to change "children" in "First Children", "Second Children", etc. to "child", but the Japanese insisted on keeping it as-is despite the explanation that the original phrasing is grammatically incorrect.

Another famous example of that sort of thing is Arucard in Hellsing. They tried hard to explain that it should be Alucard but the Japanese wouldn't budge...

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
And that's why Crunchyroll once had to stream a show with the title "Encouragement of Climb".

There was an ANNCast once where they talked about subtitling Bantorra and how they'd corrected all the awkwardness but been told to change it back, which is why there are some peculiar names and the insistence on using the entire title of the "Church of the wossnim in wossnim" every time it occurred.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:00 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Nope, that happened with Nausicca. Not Princess Mononoke.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I am also curious how the Japanese rights holders approve/disapprove the English dub cast when the rights holders' English skills are likely questionable.

Another thing that is questionable is regarding all the 4kids dub-induce plot holes and editing. I really question that the Japanese themselves would themselves do all these mistakes. Yet, ironically, they yanked the 4kids license of One Piece.
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote
So the Japanese approve the horrible Pokemon dub and music changes?
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
GalicianNightmare wrote:
Do you have evidence that the original JP licensors have to approve the dub cast selection? No? Then why say it? There have only been a few times the Japanese have been involved in dubs of their work. The Gundam 0079 dub, the Utena movie dub and script checks of the Ghibli dubs by Miyazaki and friends. Other than that, the original Japanese don't give a lick about how we cast in our dubs. Even if they DID, WHO on Earth gave them the right? They know nothing about English voice acting and dubbing, so they have no right to tell people who is suitable and who is not.

When I mean "Japanese" I don't mean AOA, since it's an American company and the Japanese there speak good English. I mean the original licensors.

The Sailor Moon re-release is a more recent example. Viz Media was pretty much stating that Takeuchi was involved in the English castiing process. but from what I know about these "Japanese Involvment," it's still screened by the English Directors and given to the Japanese companies to get the "yay" or "nay." response. I'll never understand this, but I don't really know what else to tell you.

However, this isn't new news to me,there are plenty of other anime in the last few years or so that had similar processes. Just kinda tired right now to give more.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
All I have to say is this: The Vision of Escaflowne.

Edited broadcast dub that was half-aired, out of order...

Or edited broadcast dub that was aired in order and in its entirety...

Or unedited DVD dub with some dub-induced mistakes kept in the script but with otherwise the same experience had as when watching the Japanese version?

I just want to know where you're coming from.

I stab hard some awful decisions made, and later kept, in the 2000 Escaflowne dub ("It's a Zaibach attack!"--pre-Zaibach reveal) but otherwise find the experiences watching the dub and the original Japanese version to be quite similar.

Viz's dub of Sailor Moon, which they've gone to town touting as a faithful dub, has some interesting liberties in the script.

Don't get me wrong; The dub is wonderful in some areas and, while it falls flat in others, I wholly love and appreciate what Viz is doing( I've bought all 4 sets): I just want to point out that, outside of Speed Racer-esque debacles, what makes a great dub is highly subjective.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:27 am Reply with quote
Beware the original creator who thinks he/she knows English better than the translator...

I wonder if something like that happened with a certain space opera series about the invasion of one of Saturn's moons...at least I think that's what it's about Wink
unready

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:22 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
I wonder if something like that happened with a certain space opera series about the invasion of one of Saturn's moons...at least I think that's what it's about

Attack on Iapetus?

Well, I think they kept the title from the English translation of the manga for the English title of the anime. Still, they had the opportunity to correct some hilarious grammar nonsense, but they didn't. Oh, well.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
I heard when Princess Mononoke was going to be localised, someone at Ghibli sent them a real Katana with a note saying "No Cuts"

Nope, that happened with Nausicca. Not Princess Mononoke.

The "message" was for Mononoke, but probably because of Nausicaa (more specifically, "Warriors of the Wind"). It is Toshio Suzuki who was actually responsible for the sword.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
The thing with Attack on Titan and Encouragement of Climb is that the names were chosen before the animes were even thought about - both of them have those Engrish titles on the original Japanese manga covers and both were worked into the logo of the show. Not really much room for maneuvering at that point.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:46 pm Reply with quote
How does approving something in a different language even work? Does the licensor have translators handy to make sure something is satisfactory? How can they even tell, considering translation is an inexact thing?

Paiprince wrote:
Most of the miscommunication from both parties would be much alleviated if both bothered to hire proficient English and Japanese mediators. Of course, to some companies it maybe out of reach, but I see this more as a necessity than a luxury.

The problem there is: How would you know? You're basically hiring someone to behave proficiently in a field the rest of the team might know very little about. Unlike hiring a rocket scientist if you want to build a rocket or a championship-winning athlete to understand a sport intimately, you'll never know if the interpreter did their job properly. You'll never know if the person you've hired was effective at getting his or her point across, or if the other party got a totally different message and nobody noticed until it's too late.

That being said, Greg Warner (who works at Shueisha) is a translator who specializes in Japanese-to-English and is married to a Japanese woman who specializes in the other direction, so I'd bet the two of them have become very good at making sure the message gets through as unmuddled as possible.

whiskeyii wrote:
This is something that always confuses me. If you're not a native speaker or exceptionally fluent in another language, why would you NOT trust a native speaker to correct your grammar?

Style, I guess. Looking at consonant-filled names in stuff like Bleach and Hunter X Hunter, English seems to be seen as a very fluid language free of rules or something. Certainly, it's far more relaxed than the Japanese consonant system.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
ly000001 wrote:
This reminds me of one ANNCast or other podcast episode, where the people who worked on the EVA TV translation said they wanted to change "children" in "First Children", "Second Children", etc. to "child", but the Japanese insisted on keeping it as-is despite the explanation that the original phrasing is grammatically incorrect.

Another famous example of that sort of thing is Arucard in Hellsing. They tried hard to explain that it should be Alucard but the Japanese wouldn't budge...

There's also the very title of Chrno Crusade. It's been corrected since, which gives me hope that some of these guys will trust the fluent English speakers to know their own language's rules.

Kadmos1 wrote:
I am also curious how the Japanese rights holders approve/disapprove the English dub cast when the rights holders' English skills are likely questionable.

It might just be to hear how their voices sound like and if they can emote the way the Japanese guys want them to. Those are things I can get without knowing the language.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3