• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword Art Online II Blu-Ray 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:57 pm Reply with quote
SillyPerson wrote:
] and also Asuna's mother, I can't stand Asuna's motherspoiler[, she is so nasty and controlling to Asuna and meddlesome regarding which school Asuna can attend, who she can go out with, whether or not she can play VRMMORPGs, etc].

Sounds like parents from all over to me.

It is easy to bash the mother, if you don't care to consider her viewpoint. You know, like watching your daughter in a coma for years, and then wondering why she didn't wake up when everyone else did. Finding out their daughter was kidnapped and sexually abused in game and that person who did it was waiting for a chance to do the same in real life. There's also the fact that their daughter did grow up while in the game, which does make for a disconnect in the family. It is like a stranger coming home, instead of the child you knew. I would say it is all too easy to see virtual reality as something evil, waiting to steal even more precious time away from being with your children.

In real life, the return of kidnapped children, is supposed to be a joyful event. Sadly, the years lost do matter, and the hearts on both sides need to be big.

The fictional mother is not nasty, she is a human who has had to deal with the loss of her daughter and then the return of a slightly different daughter. Nothing easy about that at all.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Miyuki Sawashiro and Michelle Ruff are too good for this show, IMO. This show had some good voice actors. Their talents were wasted for a mess like SAO. It's like an Ivy/Russell League Student who is stuck in community college. You can only make the best of the situation.

Having said that, this show is scored by Yuki Kajiura, which is always a plus and the visuals are above par. That will not save this show, however.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Miyuki Sawashiro and Michelle Ruff are too good for this show, IMO. This show had some good voice actors. Their talents were wasted for a mess like SAO. It's like an Ivy/Russell League Student who is stuck in community college. You can only make the best of the situation.

Having said that, this show is scored by Yuki Kajiura, which is always a plus and the visuals are above par. That will not save this show, however.

Indeed. I think the reason I dislike SAO so strongly is because it just smacks of wasted effort: you have high production values, a fantastic composer, a reasonably-interesting (albeit not exactly original) premise...and then it's all destroyed by some of the most ham-fisted godawful writing I've ever laid eyes on. The GGO arc is probably the best the show has to offer, but that's still damning with faint praise. The Gary Stu is cranked up to nauseating levels, Sinon starts out as reasonably independent but still winds up falling into the inescapable good little waifu trap in the end, and the author continues to show a staggering ignorance of basic video game mechanics. (Seriously, if you're going to base an entire series on MMOs, maybe try doing more research than watching a single World of Warcraft commercial.) At least it's not as bad as the narm-worthy Mother's Rosario arc, but still.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why the reviewer said Kirito's PSTD was "unconvincing"? I was thoroughly convinced that it was always part of his character.

Top Gun wrote:
The Gary Stu is cranked up to nauseating levels, Sinon starts out as reasonably independent but still winds up falling into the inescapable good little waifu trap in the end

...............you're kidding.....right? How did you even.....um, NO.

Sinon starts out as someone who wants to be strong and overcome her trauma but she kept failing until she learned that it's okay to rely on others and show her weaknesses to them. That some goals cannot be overcome by one person alone; it takes support from friends, it takes understanding from other viewpoints and working together; MOST importantly, it takes accepting and forgiving yourself.
Which she was able to do. She got help from Kirito, yes, but she was the one who took the final steps to begin her own healing process.
She's nobody's "good little waifu".

And once again, nobody in this effing thread even knows how to use "Gary Stu/Mary-Sue" properly. Rolling Eyes

People accuse Kirito of being one ridiculously so, and the main reason seems to be "because all the girls end up liking him". Yet.....the same applies to ALL harem protagonists and compared to Kirito, they do practically nothing compared to him. The things Kirito does are things that EARNS admiration and respect; I mean duh, most girls WOULD totally fall for him.

There are plenty of things about his character that save him from being an actual Mary Sue though.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Unlike typical harem shows, the girls falling for Kirito is a bit pointless because he hooks up with Asuna pretty early on. I feel like it's kind of a waste for so many girls to fall for a guy that is taken. Like please someone hook up with that poor sod Klein.

Chiibi wrote:
I don't get why the reviewer said Kirito's PSTD was "unconvincing"? I was thoroughly convinced that it was always part of his character.

I found it unconvincing as well. To me it seemed like a cheap trick to help Kirito connect with Sinon. We never saw the raid on the Laughing Coffin's base in the 1st season.

Chiibi wrote:
And once again, nobody in this effing thread even knows how to use "Gary Stu/Mary-Sue" properly. Rolling Eyes

After the SAO thread, I have come to hate that term. I absolutely loathe it.

Key wrote:

Mother's Rosario tops it.

(Admittedly, though, that may not hold true if you are primarily focusing on the action component of the franchise.)

Bolded is true for me. In fact, I found everything that happened after Gun Gale to be the relatively boring. The stakes were no longer high and lack of drama. I liked the show when Kirito was kicking ass and had a reason to keep moving forward.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Unlike typical harem shows, the girls falling for Kirito is a bit pointless because he hooks up with Asuna pretty early on.

I agree....though I think the point of SAO's "harem" is more for the viewers' enjoyment. More girls automatically gets more fanboys because with so many girls to choose from, a guy is likely to find one he likes.

Quote:
Like please someone hook up with that poor sod Klein.

I want to Klein and Liz to hook up. :O No joke. The ship is crack...I know....but she seems to react to him the most out of the others. Anime hyper I think their personalities go well together too.

Quote:
I found it unconvincing as well. To me it seemed like a cheap trick to help Kirito connect with Sinon. We never saw the raid on the Laughing Coffin's base in the 1st season.

It was hinted in season 1 that killing people in SAO actually bothers Kirito a good deal and that he tends to keep things to himself while trying to act level-headed so outsiders don't catch on. I think it fits. For example, after he killed Kuradeel, he wanted to spend the night with Asuna not for sex but because he "didn't want to be alone". Even though Kirito goes off on his own a LOT...that was probably the first time ever that he requested comfort of another person instead of it being the other way around.

I don't have a lot of knowledge about victims of PSTD in real life...but it makes sense that his would only be triggered after being exposed to another "death game".
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
...............you're kidding.....right? How did you even.....um, NO.

Sinon starts out as someone who wants to be strong and overcome her trauma but she kept failing until she learned that it's okay to rely on others and show her weaknesses to them. That some goals cannot be overcome by one person alone; it takes support from friends, it takes understanding from other viewpoints and working together; MOST importantly, it takes accepting and forgiving yourself.
Which she was able to do. She got help from Kirito, yes, but she was the one who took the final steps to begin her own healing process.
She's nobody's "good little waifu".

Yes, it requires outside help in order to deal with one's emotional problems. I don't take issue with that concept at all. But the way SAO chose to implement it is what left a horrible taste in my mouth. Sinon's moments of doubt essentially reduced her to a blubbering mess, wholly reliant on Kirito to pull her through it. She didn't find strength by relying on others, but instead by being completely propped up by them. Hell, in two instances, both in-game and in the real world, she's reduced to utter physical helplessness, and Big Strong Kirito needs to swoop in and save the day. (The second of which, as Theron mentioned, is almost as odious as the all-time terrible end of Fairy Dance.) But the real "waifu" bit comes into play when despite already having a (horribly ill-advised) romantic prospect, Sinon winds up crushing on Kirito all the same, because of course everyone does, and then slotting neatly into his little pseudo-harem, never to escape. (Convenient how Kirito never once mentioned to her that he was all but married, right? Can't destroy those little otaku delusions.) She had legitimate potential as a character, but Karahawa only knows how to do one thing with his females, so she was doomed from the start.

Quote:

People accuse Kirito of being one ridiculously so, and the main reason seems to be "because all the girls end up liking him". Yet.....the same applies to ALL harem protagonists and compared to Kirito, they do practically nothing compared to him. The things Kirito does are things that EARNS admiration and respect; I mean duh, most girls WOULD totally fall for him.

There are plenty of things about his character that save him from being an actual Mary Sue though.

Trust me, I know exactly what the phrase means, and Kirito is perhaps the best example of one I've ever seen besides Bella Swan. (Hell, I've often thought that SAO is essentially an anime version of Twilight.) For one, as Cam0 noted, this isn't even an actual harem situation, since Kirito is already committed (except when he conveniently forgets about her existence). For another, the entire harem genre is basically synonymous with terrible writing, as it's cheap wish-fulfillment without any meaningful character interaction, so it's hardly a defense in my book. (And for a third, I have a few female friends who have suffered through the show, and they've told me in no uncertain terms that they can't see how anyone would fall for the sort of arrogant, self-absorbed little prick that Kirito so often comes across as.)

But I actually wasn't even thinking of relationships when I used that label, but instead of the actual gaming side of the series. Kirito's always been the bestest super-speshul awesum player, getting exclusive abilities and even flat-out breaking the basic mechanics of the game, simply because he's the main character and apparently that's what main characters do. I can almost give a pass to him retaining most of his skills in ALO, given that it's a similar style of MMORPG to SAO, even though it's patently absurd that just because the games share the same basic engine he can automagically convert his character data over when there's no other relation between the games. (Plus sure, let's keep on using the codebase of a confirmed psychotic mass murderer who held you hostage for two years!) But Kirito making the jump to an FPS like GGO, a genre he's never even played before, and immediately being absolutely god-tier at it is ridiculous beyond words. Hell, I've been gaming for many years, and I'm fairly competent at several FPS titles, but there are vast differences in basic mechanics and gameplay just within that genre, let alone between totally-disparate types of games. If someone plopped me down into an MMO like World of Warcraft, a genre I'd never played, I'd be absolutely horrible at it. Yet Kirito manages not only to immediately excel at it, but even goes so far as to use a freaking lightsaber, a weapon type which has no right to even exist in that game, and miraculously defeat seasoned professional FPS players with it. It's utterly absurd. If automatically being the best at everything he touches doesn't make a character a Gary Stu, then there's no such thing as one in the first place.

(Also, I have no idea how the hell the studio wasn't sued by Lucasfilm, given that they blatantly ripped off actual lightsaber sound effects.)
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Sinon's moments of doubt essentially reduced her to a blubbering mess

That's what happens when you hold your trauma in like that. It was realistic. I thought her mental breakdown was one of the best scenes in that whole arc.

Quote:
wholly reliant on Kirito to pull her through it.

No, she wasn't "wholly reliant"on him. She didn't even want to work with him at first. After she broke down, they just spent a lot of time talking quietly, trying to figure out Death Gun. Then they worked together to take him down.

Quote:
Hell, in two instances, both in-game and in the real world, she's reduced to utter physical helplessness, and Big Strong Kirito needs to swoop in and save the day.

Except, he didn't. He tried to but got pinned down and beaten up. It was Shino who had to save HIS ass the second time....or did you conveniently forget?

Quote:
But the real "waifu" bit comes into play when despite already having a (horribly ill-advised) romantic prospect, Sinon winds up crushing on Kirito all the same, because of course everyone does, and then slotting neatly into his little pseudo-harem, never to escape.

1. They are friends, playing a video game together. Klein is there too.

2. Never to "escape"? Kirito and his party are the only friends Sinon has now (who didn't try to rape and/or kill her). Why would she want to leave them? It makes sense in-universe that she would stick around.

Quote:
Trust me, I know exactly what the phrase means, and Kirito is perhaps the best example of one I've ever seen besides Bella Swan.

Kirito isn't ANYTHING like that pretentious little whore, the ultimate Sue of Mary-Sues.

...........ew why did you have to mention her name?

Quote:
And for a third, I have a few female friends who have suffered through the show, and they've told me in no uncertain terms that they can't see how anyone would fall for the sort of arrogant, self-absorbed little prick that Kirito so often comes across as.)

Arrogant? Self-absorbed? I think he's anything but. He is sweet and selfless and a gentleman. He always puts others' needs before his own, especially those of girls. Even if your friends don't like him, Kirito has thousands of OTHER fangirls among SAO watchers and there's a reason. Or multiple reasons.

Quote:
Yet Kirito manages not only to immediately excel at it, but even goes so far as to use a freaking lightsaber, a weapon type which has no right to even exist in that game

Ironically, this is what DETRACTS from him being Mary-Sue like. He's put into a gun game but he STILL USES A SWORD. We saw him fire a gun and he didn't even hit the middle of the target. This means he doesn't want to adapt to using another weapon. That's actually a flaw. That was why he needed Sinon's sniper gun to help him.

Quote:
If automatically being the best at everything he touches doesn't make a character a Gary Stu, then there's no such thing as one in the first place.

You're absolutely right.
There's one little problem: that doesn't apply to Kirito.

We were shown that he's not that great with a gun, we were shown that he couldn't beat ALO's obstacles without a WHOLE ARMY helping him out, we were shown that if Asuna hadn't made it in time, he would have died in episode 10, without Kayaba's help, he wouldn't have beat Sugou and we were also shown that Yuuki Konno, a fifteen-year-old girl is more skilled with a sword than he is.

Your argument falls flat on its face.

Quote:
(Also, I have no idea how the hell the studio wasn't sued by Lucasfilm, given that they blatantly ripped off actual lightsaber sound effects.)

Lmao are you new to anime? There are at least six other shows that have done that; Tenchi Muyo being the most obvious one.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:10 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, the "sweet selfless gentleman" who on THREE separate occasions essentially leads a girl on to get something that he needs, while conveniently neglecting to mention the fact that he already has a girlfriend, one of which caused a hideous amount of completely-unnecessary drama. Not to mention the rather frequent "don't worry your pretty little head about it" paternalistic tone he puts on. It's just straight-up creepy wish fulfillment.

Did I forget what happened with Shino? Of course not. The fact still remains that Kirito had to white-knight for her, and much more pressingly, that Karahawa once again resorted to an absolutely-hideous trope with one of his female characters. I suppose if nothing else it shows that Kirito's uber-competence only extends to the virtual world, since he utterly sucked in that fight.

And are you really not getting the sword example? Yes, Kirito isn't all that great with a gun. But then he picks up a weapon that absolutely no one in GGO uses because it's utterly worthless by design...and proceeds to beat everyone effortlessly with it. Sword does not beat gun. Period. Or period for everyone except for Kirito, because guess why? Hell, he even goes so far as to block a GD sniper round from nearly point-blank range. Seriously. I almost gave myself a concussion from the facepalm when I first watched that. If your protagonist is able to do things that no one else can for no good reason whatsoever, plus by the way pretty much every girl he meets falls for him, he is a Stu through and through.

(And yes I exaggerated by saying that Kirito can do absolutely everything perfectly, but even in those other examples you cited, there are plenty of facets where he's magically the best at what he's doing. Hell, the only reason he couldn't get through that ALO dungeon was because it was physically impossible to do so, and he still took on like twenty million NPCs by himself somehow. And for once, there's a legitimate valid reason for why Yuuki could beat him.)
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:18 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Hell, in two instances, both in-game and in the real world, she's reduced to utter physical helplessness, and Big Strong Kirito needs to swoop in and save the day. (The second of which, as Theron mentioned, is almost as odious as the all-time terrible end of Fairy Dance.)

You will cease right there, because I neither said nor implied anything of the sort about that scene. You are reading way too much into my use of the word "ugly" and clearly didn't bother to pay attention to the rest of what I wrote in that paragraph. You're welcome to have a dissenting viewpoint, but don't drag me into your hate for the series.

Most of the rest of what I disagree with in your post has already been addressed by Chiibi, although I do tend to lean towards Kirito having Gary Stu traits. (Yes, he's far from a perfect one, but enough of the shoe fits.)

Quote:
I can almost give a pass to him retaining most of his skills in ALO, given that it's a similar style of MMORPG to SAO, even though it's patently absurd that just because the games share the same basic engine he can automagically convert his character data over when there's no other relation between the games. . . . But Kirito making the jump to an FPS like GGO, a genre he's never even played before, and immediately being absolutely god-tier at it is ridiculous beyond words.

The series has established that GGO, like the new versions of ALO and Aincrad, are all based off of the World Seed, and I believe it's been clearly said that character portability between different games is a result of that. Where there are equivalents in skills, etc., they can convert.

And if that wasn't the case, then how would Sinon have been strong enough to adventure with Kirito's party (who would have dramatically outleveled a newbie character to the point that it would have been unsafe for her to join them) when she joined them in ALO?

Quote:
And are you really not getting the sword example? Yes, Kirito isn't all that great with a gun. But then he picks up a weapon that absolutely no one in GGO uses because it's utterly worthless by design...and proceeds to beat everyone effortlessly with it.

First of all, that was hardly "effortless;" against tougher opponents he still needed help. Second, I don't recall the weapon ever being referred to as "worthless by design." It was just considered difficult to use and, well, GGO is a gun game, not a melee game. Besides, other comments made in the series suggest that GGO has little player cross-over with fantasy RPGs, so the number of players in the game who had sword skills good enough to make it useful were probably very small. Hence no one would have been used to dealing with someone who actually knew what he was doing with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:58 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Yet Kirito manages not only to immediately excel at it, but even goes so far as to use a freaking lightsaber, a weapon type which has no right to even exist in that game, and miraculously defeat seasoned professional FPS players with it.
Top Gun wrote:
And are you really not getting the sword example? Yes, Kirito isn't all that great with a gun. But then he picks up a weapon that absolutely no one in GGO uses because it's utterly worthless by design...and proceeds to beat everyone effortlessly with it. Sword does not beat gun. Period.

I can only assume that people who make this argument aren't nearly as familiar with FPS games as they claim. It's relatively common for an FPS to have one or two melee weapons, ranging from joke weapons, to useful, to fairly broken. Doom's chainsaw is probably the ur example of a useful melee weapon in an FPS game, though Half-Life's crowbar is probably a bit more iconic to it's series. Just googling "melee weapons in first person shooters" nets you articles like this one, which has some nice examples. A lightsaber would be par for the course.

Quote:

And here you fail to understand how copyright and parody actually work. If the lightsaber and it's sound effects were copyrighted, this series, like many others, would almost certainly be covered by protections for parody.

Those protections are however entirely irrelevant, as neither lightsabers, nor their sound effect, are copyrighted. "Laser swords" are too generic a concept to copyright. That's why Gundam has never had any issue with it's beam sabers. The sound effect for the lightsaber can no more be copyrighted than the sound of an explosion. Specific recordings are protected yes. You are however free to make your own lightsaber sound recording, just like you're free to make your own explosion sound effect recording. It's fairly easy, the guy that came up with the sound effect told people how he achieved it years ago.

So the only thing about lightsabers with any sort of legal protection, is the name "lightsaber" itself. Which you'll note the series makes a point of avoiding calling it that.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:37 am Reply with quote
People always criticise the game mechanics of GGO under the assumption that it was inspired by Call of Duty. It's not.

In fact, the only things they really have in common is that they both have guns and a lot of people like them.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Characters that have one or two Mary Sue traits, an actual Mary Sue does not make.

It is pretty pointless to debate with SAO-haters....because they are so biased against the series that they remember things they way they want to, not the way they actually happened. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Ah yes, the "sweet selfless gentleman" who on THREE separate occasions essentially leads a girl on to get something that he needs, while conveniently neglecting to mention the fact that he already has a girlfriend, one of which caused a hideous amount of completely-unnecessary drama.

Lolwut.

Kirito and Asuna didn't become boyfriend and girlfriend until episode 10 of the Aincrad arc. So the only time the situation you're attempting to describe happened was during the Fairy Dance Arc. And he only teased Leafa a bit, he didn't actually "lead her on". Same goes for Sinon who didn't even hint to him that she wanted a relationship with him before being introduced to Asuna.

While I don't think he should have teased Leafa or Sinon, he does have character flaws and "making poor decisions with the ladies" would count as one of them.

He has enough good traits to balance his bad ones though.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
You will cease right there, because I neither said nor implied anything of the sort about that scene. You are reading way too much into my use of the word "ugly" and clearly didn't bother to pay attention to the rest of what I wrote in that paragraph. You're welcome to have a dissenting viewpoint, but don't drag me into your hate for the series.

I apologize for misrepresenting your viewpoint in that way, but I do firmly disagree with your conclusion that the scene is a substantial improvement over the finale of the ALO arc. It's bad enough that Kawahara went right back to that same disturbing trope, one that can only really be done justice by a skilled and delicate writer, neither of which Kawahara is. But once again you have a situation where the perpetrator of the event is exaggerated to be cartoonishly evil (yes I'm aware of the inherent irony in that statement), and the scene shifts uncomfortably towards fetishism. Perhaps it's not as blatant as the former instance, but there's still an undercurrent of it.

Quote:
The series has established that GGO, like the new versions of ALO and Aincrad, are all based off of the World Seed, and I believe it's been clearly said that character portability between different games is a result of that. Where there are equivalents in skills, etc., they can convert.

And if that wasn't the case, then how would Sinon have been strong enough to adventure with Kirito's party (who would have dramatically outleveled a newbie character to the point that it would have been unsafe for her to join them) when she joined them in ALO?

See that's the mechanic that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. The series makes out the World Seed to be an engine and framework for creating MMOs, but nothing about that implies that a character's progress in one game should automagically mean anything in another. Like I said earlier, the Unreal Engine is used to make all sorts of games, none of which have any direct relation. (Hell, I'm not even sure how Kirito's player data is supposed to have survived SAO's self-immolation.) But even if you accept that concept, Kirito's actual physical skillset as a gamer isn't going to translate at all to a genre in which he has utterly no experience. Pro-level FPS players should be capping him before he has any clue as to what's going on, and yet he magics his way around the battlefield like he still has a pair of fairy wings on. The same goes for Sinon: being a crackshot sniper doesn't give you any experience in all of the minutiae of an MMORPG.

Quote:
First of all, that was hardly "effortless;" against tougher opponents he still needed help. Second, I don't recall the weapon ever being referred to as "worthless by design." It was just considered difficult to use and, well, GGO is a gun game, not a melee game. Besides, other comments made in the series suggest that GGO has little player cross-over with fantasy RPGs, so the number of players in the game who had sword skills good enough to make it useful were probably very small. Hence no one would have been used to dealing with someone who actually knew what he was doing with it.

It's true that melee weapons have existed as long as FPS games have (yes GrayArchon, I've been around the gaming block before), but outside of rare gimmick weapons or dedicated sub-classes like Team Fortress 2's Demoknight, they're usually a last-ditch backup. If you have to resort to using one in serious play, you've probably done something wrong. Kirito's beam sword appears to be just what it says on the tin, and any FPS player worth their salt wielding a hitscan weapon should be more than capable of dealing with such a basic attack, especially with how wide-open GGO's environments appear to be. The only way Kirito succeeds is by going into his magical Kirito god mode. Remember the cowboy training dummy he beat literally minutes after starting to play the game? The one that no one else could even get close to? Yeah, something's broken here.

Chiibi wrote:
Lolwut.

Kirito and Asuna didn't become boyfriend and girlfriend until episode 10 of the Aincrad arc. So the only time the situation you're attempting to describe happened was during the Fairy Dance Arc. And he only teased Leafa a bit, he didn't actually "lead her on". Same goes for Sinon who didn't even hint to him that she wanted a relationship with him before being introduced to Asuna.

I will grant you that his encounter with LIzbeth happened prior to the infamous TWO YEARS' WORTH moment, but the complaint most definitely holds true with Leafa and Sinon. In the former case, he goes into ALO with the sole purpose of rescuing Asuna, meets a girl who gives him a ton of help in accomplishing this, and yet somehow completely neglects to mention just who he's trying to rescue until almost the end of the arc. Like, would the first thing you said to someone offering to help you not be, "My girlfriend's somehow being held prisoner here, and I need to save her!" There's absolutely no reason it didn't come up in normal conversation from the get-go, other than to create artificial drama. Couple that with Leafa's growing affection that would even be obvious to a brick wall (and I say that as someone who is essentially that brick wall when it comes to relationships), and it just reads like a massive plot contrivance. It's the sort of thing that utterly obliterates my suspension of disbelief. The same goes for Sinon: Kirito's getting all chummy with her, hanging out in caves and checking out her ass, she's getting repeatedly flustered by him and spending a bunch of time thinking about him, and he never happens to mention that his girlfriend was also in this "death game" dealing with the same survivors' guilt he was. This is information that is consciously withheld: either by Kirito the character himself to maybe play the field a little, or by the writers to string along the usual bull**** harem fantasies. Neither option is particularly flattering.

Look, I didn't go into SAO wanting to hate it. Hell, by all rights I shouldn't have hated it: I'm a lifelong gamer, I've loved the genre's ostensible archetype .hack//SIGN for years, and I went into it genuinely hoping to be pleasantly surprised. But right from the get-go, the writing just absolutely destroyed it for me. I think it really says something when a Bee Train-produced title which almost exclusively consists of characters standing around talking to each other is a far more compelling watch.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:09 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

If you have to resort to using one in serious play, you've probably done something wrong. Kirito's beam sword appears to be just what it says on the tin, and any FPS player worth their salt wielding a hitscan weapon should be more than capable of dealing with such a basic attack, especially with how wide-open GGO's environments appear to be.

Uhh... GGO doesn't use hitscans. We constantly see bullets flying around. Besides it would be impossible for Kirito to block bullets with his beam sword if the game used hitscan weapons. With the prediction lines and beam sword being able to block bullets, it seems like the beam sword was designed to be pretty useful, just really, really difficult to use. Simply no one gave the beam sword much of a thought. GGO isn't like any shooter you've played before so it's best not to assume how effective melee is based on your experiences with shooter games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3