• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam Part II Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
levonr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:

I'm not following what point you're trying to make here.

I'm backing up what your saying with some details.

I find it very interesting that movie 3 is 70% new animation. It goes to show just how much they wanted to correct the animation from when it was canceled.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:33 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
For a show that was canceled I really liked the ending itself. However if it was longer I think we'd get more development of characters like Lalah who I always wished had more screen time.

its that love triangle with lalah,amuro and char which in some sense saved the second part of the series and in a way give the series a second chance when it got canceled. unfortunately definitely had no time for a true character development,not to mention she was there way too short. hopfeully it will happen in the origin movies.

Quote:
Mobile Suit Gundam's poor quality would continue to haunt its creators. “While we were watching the screening [for the movie version] we noticed that there seemed to be something regrettable in every episode,” said character designer Yoshikazu Yasuhiko.

Which is why for decades fans have been screaming for a remake for this series

and considering on how successful Unicorn and the origin movies are, i'm pretty sure a remake of this series can get approved if they really wanted to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:36 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
@Fronzel

Interesting; the movies must have had a slightly bigger budget.

There's actually a manga about how the original Gundam series was made called "Gundam Sousei", which describes how they were able to improve the show's animation for the theatrical releases. It's pretty... uh, "over the top" in its depiction of Yoshiyuki Tomino's eccentricities, but it's worth a look if you're interested in the show's production.
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:46 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Which is why for decades fans have been screaming for a remake for this series

and considering on how successful Unicorn and the origin movies are, i'm pretty sure a remake of this series can get approved if they really wanted to.

Well, the movies technically are remakes, and only get moreso as they go on (see the 70% original footage quote in comments above). But as cool as a full, televised remake would be, the simple fact is that Banrise has little to gain from doing so, and that's likely why we haven't seen it happen.

Thing is, it would be a (relatively) titanic effort to remake the whole damn from scratch (and not in a half-assed way like, say, Sailor Moon Crystal). Fans would expect a lot from something like that, not in the least good animation and redone music, and that would take time and effort and resources (both financial and personnel) that in the end might not actually be worth it for them. Gundam isn't some half-forgotten property in need of a revival like, say, Yamato was, after all; The original is still a relevant, well-known, omnipresent pop culture phenomenon in Japan. It pushes merchandise without needing a shiny new show, and if Bandai can sell stuff without needing to dedicate resources to that, then they simply aren't going to.

So while a full remake of Mobile Suit Gundam is technically possible, I think it's pretty unlikely and am not at all surprised it hasn't happened yet.
uguu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:07 pm Reply with quote
As usual, I disagree with ANN animation opinions; the show looks dated, but it's not bad for its time unless you compare it to the small handful of high-budget (which it absolutely is not), cream-of-the-crop 70s TV animation. But that's not the main problem. I don't care about the writer's opinions as much as I do about the supposed "quotes" from Tomino and Yasuhiko.

Quote:

While the story is a treat, the visuals are anything but. Initially on a shoestring budget to begin with, Mobile Suit Gundam's mid-season cancellation meant its quality noticeably suffered. Nobody can say it better than the creators themselves, during a July 2010 interview to commemorate the 30th anniversary of Gundam—which has been translated and preserved as the extra content on this Blu-Ray set. “The backgrounds were truly awful,” Gundam creator Yoshiyuki Tomino bluntly recalls. “We had to use fewer and fewer cells each episode. While we were doing the work, even I thought it was horrible,” he said. Tomino noted that every episode was completed on schedule, but at what cost?

Mobile Suit Gundam's poor quality would continue to haunt its creators. “While we were watching the screening [for the movie version] we noticed that there seemed to be something regrettable in every episode,” said character designer Yoshikazu Yasuhiko. While Yasuhiko asserts that he “is still discovering profound new meaning” in the Gundam story, the original art is “half-hearted and obsolete.”

The only part he was generally critical of was the backgrounds not drawn by Mitsuki Nakamura, saying they looked like shit in comparison and were not movie-worthy but they had to use them for the compilation movies anyway.

Yasuhiko did not, at any point, generalize the entire artwork of the show as "half-hearted" and "obsolete". What he said was that his designs were made in a "half-hearted" way because he couldn't decide if he wanted to make them realistic or stylized and escapist, and it ended up being a mix of the two. Nonetheless, he said that "the end result was good anyway".

The part about "terrible animation" was quote-mined and Frankensteined onto a different quote from a different part of the video, where he was talking SPECIFICALLY about Doan Island - an episode he's known to dislike. What he actually said in regards to frames was: "We had to use fewer cels per episode, and we couldn't animate so smoothly. But those animators drew each frame so elaborately. It had never been done before."

This makes it pretty clear that the article should be changed as it basically comes off as character defamation even if that wasn't the intent. Tomino was praising the animators saying they did a great job for the time and yet the article claims that he was calling their work terrible.

The whole "the second half is horribly animated and far worse than the first" thing makes no sense and is contradicted by Tomino's comments. Tomino's most hated episode, Doan Island, is from the first half. The part he said was particularly amazingly animated was this Yasuhiko sequence from the climax (meaning, of course, from the second half).

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/35874

So basically Tomino thought the animation was great for its time and was was praising the animators he worked with. ANN completely misquoted him to make it look like he was tearing them apart, and claiming the animation for the show was some horrible, horrible memory that haunted him every night. I'd say an overhaul of the article is needed; not just the Tomino quote but, really, the entire tone of the quotations section, which misrepresents almost everything that was said.
uguu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:27 am Reply with quote
Thank you for removing those paragraphs. This stuff matters a lot to me; it drives me nuts when misquotations evolve into common misconceptions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2