• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Fushigi Yugi Anime to Catalog

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:11 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Saw this this morning! I can't decide if I should give Fushigi Yuugi another try. When I watched it like 10 years ago I rage quit when spoiler[Nuriko died].

Nooooooooo! Why couldn't I resist the allure of the spoiler tag?! Now I wanna rage quit!

...but I've already invested 26 episodes' worth of my time, argh.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
@louis6578: For the dub-only thing, while they might say it was a rights issue, I think it may have been that the rights holders simply refused the sub for whatever reason.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I greatly dislike the English Dub of Gash Bell (or, as I eye-rollingly call it, Zatch Bell). The good voice actors sound subdued, and the roles that are well-acted are few and far between. The music was unnecessarily changed to a less-than-stellar score, and the names were all changed randomly (unlike most kids' show dubs which at least make them sound more American, this one just changed and shortened names without cause).

Now, if you like the dub, great! I'm glad that Crunchyroll has accommodated you. My question is: Why is the subtitled version of Gash Bell never available for legal streaming? Unlike Yugioh and Pokemon, it isn't actually a kids' show, yet it seemed like Viz miss aimed its marketing for it to be similar to Digimon and Yugioh. Judging from the fact that this is one of the few anime to get an English dubbed release of its video games, as well as a short lived attempt at selling a collectible trading card game, I'm under the impression that Viz tried, and failed, to make this show as big as Yugioh simply because it was part of the "Mon" genre.

I would think that the dub and manga getting canceled would have made Viz stop trying to advertise this butchered adaptation, but regardless, the subtitled version should at least be an option. There's no excuse.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:48 am Reply with quote
^Viz doesn't have the anime license anymore so they no longer have anything to do with this show.

Crunchyroll got the streaming license for Zatch Bell from Cinedigm (formerly New Video), who licensed (directly from Toei Animation) and re-released most of the old Viz dub in 2013 and has since only released that dub digitally everywhere else like Amazon & Hulu.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote
^ I stand by my suspicion for why Viz chose to dub it like DiC Sailor Moon. Either way, does that mean that CR only has the license to stream the dub? That doesn't make sense to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2