• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Comic Ranking, March 7-13 [2016-03-16]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:16 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
One would think it'd be better if they tried to make the best out of it, rather than continue to pretend Bleach doesn't exist (still no word on any 15th anniversary commemoration!)

I'd have to do the research on when these things make their rounds, but officially, the 15th anniversary would be mid-August of this year, sooooooo technically the "anniversary year" would be pretty much most of 2017. It's only March.

CrowLia wrote:
The fact that said promising frontrunner never quite filled in for Bleach's shoes makes it all the more frustrating that WSJ treated Blech so poorly.

I bolded what looks like a typo. It made me laugh, and then I got sad many times in other instances, it's not a typo.

I think the thing with Toriko is simply the skewed view of "the Big 3", an entirely Western modern shounen fan-invented concept, so when these people see a WJ cover page with Naruto, Luffy, and Toriko on it, but Ichigo is further in the back, they freak out. "Pimping" always seemed like a strong word, because it's not like Toriko is an out-and-out failure(beyond its anime being cancelled). It's still going after many years and still sells; you could probably compare Toriko's situation to Reborn!'s(though, I'm pretty sure even to the end, Reborn! volume sales debuted at 250K or higher). All of this started happening when -- dun dun dun -- the Lost Agent arc of BLEACH began and its rankings started falling; the monster that is Jump editorial simply did its job and and started eating what wasn't doing well, and that reflected in the covers.

And, uh, BLEACH's declining volume sales. I love these threads because classy folks totally won't throw salt in the wounds.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2