• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Food Wars! Anime's 2nd Season, OVA Previewed in Videos

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Is that an official translation of "Spring Koshien" (if it has an official English name to begin with)? Calling this event "Fall Invitationals" would definitely fit, considering that the participants were invited in.

From what I can ascertain, "Invitationals" is used mainly in competitions of high culture. I've seen the word "Invitationals" used often for golf, tennis, yachting, fishing, chess, and archery, all of which are associated with the highbrow. A cooking competition would fit right in.

"Classic" has a similar high-class connotation, but it has a broader scope, with, as you mention, it being used in sports like baseball. "Classic" would indicate the competition has been going on for a long time and is a fixture of the area. It isn't always like that though--you can start a competition for the first time and call it the "Classic." The Midwest Gaming Classic, a video game tournament, has obviously not been around for that long, for instance.

As for which one works better? I don't know. But "Invitationals" and "Classic" both work for a cooking competition. Both of them work miles better than "Election," for sure, because calling it an "Election" won't make any sense to a normal English-speaking person if no one is getting elected by vote.

Here's what I found when I looked up "election":

Quote:

noun
the selection of a person or persons for office by vote.
a public vote upon a proposition submitted.
the act of electing.
Theology. the choice by God of individuals, as for a particular work or for favor or salvation.

Except for the theological definition, which this clearly is not, they all involve voting in some way. Hence, the word "election" wouldn't clearly indicate the nature of the event because there is no voting involved. (Well, technically, the judges vote on the winner of each match, but it's a stretch considering there are, what, 3 judges and therefore three votes?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2