• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Would An American Creator Have Control Over Their Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FukuchiChiisaia

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
cxt217 wrote:

Namely, Smith's daughter who was serving as the executor of his estate. She was far more than just 'unhappy' over the anime adaptations and was very vocal about it.

We need someone to channel E. E. Smith's spirit for telling us about his opinion.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
If I remember, Deltora Quest was made in an anime because the creator didn't want a movie that would change the content, since they were the only studio that promised to change nothing.

They did add 13 episodes due to the popularity, but I heard the creator really liked it.

That was the first thing that came to my mind. Mainly because the writer is Australian. Laughing

Really enjoyed the anime, so much so that I bought the books to read. Disappointed that the "Complete Collection" release by Madman doesn't contain the final 13 episodes. I know that they aren't based on the books, but I still wanted to see those episodes.

Knowing they're out there has me not wanting to buy it on disc. As much as I like it, knowing that there are episodes not contained within the "complete collection" release will always annoy me.
Yogshi

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Really enjoyed the anime, so much so that I bought the books to read. Disappointed that the "Complete Collection" release by Madman doesn't contain the final 13 episodes. I know that they aren't based on the books, but I still wanted to see those episodes.

Really? the collection only has 1-52?

Last edited by Yogshi on Wed May 11, 2016 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
But if the producer of the show is American and aligned with the American creators, it's a completely different story. An American producer of some sort is usually on the ground in Japan, breathing down the necks of the director and creative staff, and dictating the overall direction of the show. The anime studio is basically working for the Americans at this point. This process has proved very difficult for Japanese creative staff to work under, and while some anime studios still seek out work-for-hire jobs like this, most will quietly give the work to its least qualified production team. I've even heard rumors that some have secretly outsourced the work to Korea. This might explain why this doesn't happen very often anymore.

Inconvenient Truth?: Japanese animation staffs don't like "restrictions" posed by foreign producers or being told what to make. I do think hands-off approach brings out the best from Japanese staffers.

I remember reading Anime Style column which described how director Sunao Katabuchi had hard time working with a foreign producer back in 80's.

Speaking of least qualified production team, it made me think why certain American produced Anime like Thundercats 2011 didn't look all that great even though it was produced by Studio 4°C. Even worse, I remember Otakon Convention was excited with Production IG making their intro animation, but it looks terrible as it was made by some no-name inexperienced animation artist in IG.

Last edited by reanimator on Wed May 11, 2016 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cetais

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Yogshi wrote:
Quote:

Yup! I haven't watched or anything, but I do know that 53 to 65 never got released outside of Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deltora_Quest_(anime)
Quote:
On May 13, 2014 the complete series of the show was released in English, containing only the originally dubbed set of 52 episodes and not all 65 episodes.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:20 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
As for George R.R. Martin, judging how he treats his obsessive fans like pests and how he hates fanfiction, the prospects of a GoT anime remain slim at best.

And yet, thanks to the success of the TV show, Game of Thrones has been adapted into pretty much everything else. (Also, obsessive fans ARE pests.)

Stuart Smith wrote:
It's one of the reasons I never got why people care so much about creators in western productions. Lauren Faust is treated as some kind of goddess in the MLP fandom, but she left the show after a dozen or so episodes and the majority of the series is entirely Hasbro, yet people still attribute everything to her.

-Stuart Smith

To split hairs, Faust left towards the end of Season 2 for reasons she won't directly state, but the most likely reason was creative differences between her and the toymakers. Both of the first two seasons were 26 episodes long, meaning she had to have left after Episode 28 at minimum (as Season 2 began with a two-parter).

Her influence on the show is that she fought tooth and nail at the planning stages to prevent it from being the sappy saccharine stuff that My Little Pony had previously been. (Well, when it isn't weirdly dark and creepy.) She had planned out all of the main characters and the rules of the setting, albeit the latter has been broken a few times since.

The earlier episodes were written mostly by the writers she had been acquaintances with at least since The Powerpuff Girls and whom she stuck with through Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends: Chris Savino, Amy Keating Rogers, Cindy Morrow, and Meghan McCarthy, with Rob Renzetti doing the story editing. Charlotte Fullerton, Dave Polsky, Mitch Larson, and later Corey Powell are freelance or otherwise independent who were brought in. Polsky is currently connected to Cartoon Network as the head writer for Sonic Boom (thus making him the one perosn who writes for two shows whose fandoms are always at each other's throats), while Larson and Powell write for Hasbro's other shows.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
There's a video interview with Dianna Wynne Jones. I remember her commenting on the war being a passing mention in the book and a major factor in the film, to the effect of "well, Miyazaki has to have his flying machines..."

She sounds incredibly chill. That must have been quite the relief for Ghibli. I wonder if Ghibli turned to her because she would've been okay with pretty much anything.

reanimator wrote:
Speaking of least qualified production team, it made me think why certain American produced Anime like Thundercats 2011 didn't look all that great even though it was produced by Studio 4°C. Even worse, I remember Otakon Convention was excited with Production IG making their intro animation, but it looks terrible as it was made by some no-name inexperienced animation artist in IG.

On the other hand, The Boondocks looked fantastic when Madhouse did it.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:30 am Reply with quote
If you ask me I believe that Production I.G did a fantastic job on IGPX it really shows that a lot of care and hard work went into making it, too bad it never became the success that Toonami wanted it to be. Sad
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:52 am Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
Yogshi wrote:

Yup! I haven't watched or anything, but I do know that 53 to 65 never got released outside of Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deltora_Quest_(anime)
Quote:
On May 13, 2014 the complete series of the show was released in English, containing only the originally dubbed set of 52 episodes and not all 65 episodes.

Yep, disappointing for me. But, I didn't see that on Wiki.

When you have a look at the Madman listing, it has a run time of 1122 minutes. That can't cover 65 episodes, when the run time per episode would be between 20-22 minutes.

I enjoyed watching the 52 episode run it had on CN. Thing is, as I mentioned, I know it would forever annoy me owning the series while knowing that there are more episodes out there. It's why I'm not going to buy Beyond the Boundary, as I have no idea if the 2nd movie (direct sequel of the TV series) will be licensed. I don't want to own something when I know it isn't complete...Laughing
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:29 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Paiprince wrote:
As for George R.R. Martin, judging how he treats his obsessive fans like pests and how he hates fanfiction, the prospects of a GoT anime remain slim at best.

And yet, thanks to the success of the TV show, Game of Thrones has been adapted into pretty much everything else. (Also, obsessive fans ARE pests.)

I'd be inclined to believe that anime would be one of the few formats he'd be leery off by virtue of being it would be heavily censored during its broadcast run among many other things.

I'd also argue that while those sort tend to be really annoying, they're still people too and the way he deals with them is nothing short of childish as a professional writer. He should've handled the problem with kids gloves at worst.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:38 am Reply with quote
FukuchiChiisaia wrote:
We need someone to channel E. E. Smith's spirit for telling us about his opinion.

Maya Fey is on the case! XD
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Marvel probably kept them on a tight leash. When Capcom was making Marvel VS Capcom 3, a few of the developers commented how anal Marvel was when it came to how they made the game (certain characters needed to move a certain way) They seemed to really want to appease Marvel when it came to handling their characters.

Well thank goodness for that leash then. The last thing we want is Japan screwing up our comic properties and making our characters look stupid and ridiculous.
thecritter

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the Lensman movie, it's no wonder E.E. Smith's estate wasn't pleased. It took the Lensman name, took the vague concept of the Lens, borrowed character names, and then threw the books in the toilet and attached a really lame, poorly done generic SF plot to the Lensman brand. If the name was changed to "Fred and the Magic Wrist Watch" and all the character and place names were changed, nobody who watched this movie could connect it to the Lensman book series.

The Lensman series could be a great anime series if done with adherence to the plot lines and a bit of VERY careful updating. Dune could be the same. Both could be definitive, epic, and probably never profitable. If only I had a couple of $100M to throw around . . .
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
What about the marvel stuff?

Marvel probably kept them on a tight leash. When Capcom was making Marvel VS Capcom 3, a few of the developers commented how anal Marvel was when it came to how they made the game (certain characters needed to move a certain way) They seemed to really want to appease Marvel when it came to handling their character

From what I understand Marvel was very lax in the 90s with the early Capcom stuff compared to Marvel vs Capcom 3 where they had a supervisor named Chris Baker to dictate how Marvel should be represented. I think it was because coming from Marvel vs Capcom 2, which was just a random hodgepodge but I know he said it was mostly backgrounds and colors/costumes he pushed to have a more authentic Marvel feel.

rizuchan wrote:
I'd sure love to visit a parallel universe where I could check out and compare the Mamoru Hosoda version that never was.

You and me both man. I was never crazy for Howl's, but a Hosoda version I think would've been really cool!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:

Marvel probably kept them on a tight leash. When Capcom was making Marvel VS Capcom 3, a few of the developers commented how anal Marvel was when it came to how they made the game (certain characters needed to move a certain way) They seemed to really want to appease Marvel when it came to handling their character

From what I understand Marvel was very lax in the 90s with the early Capcom stuff compared to Marvel vs Capcom 3 where they had a supervisor named Chris Baker to dictate how Marvel should be represented. I think it was because coming from Marvel vs Capcom 2, which was just a random hodgepodge but I know he said it was mostly backgrounds and colors/costumes he pushed to have a more authentic Marvel feel.

I don't remember where I read it, but Marvel was particularly strict on Dr. Strange as a character, right down to which moves he could do and how they would function in-game. He was essentially a character visually and moveset-wise designed by Marvel with Capcom doing the work of modeling, movement, and balancing.

I was kind of bugged by how many dim, dark stages there were in Marvel vs. Capcom 3. The only brightly-lit one I can recall is the New York City one with the parade. I wonder if this has anything to do with how the Marvel cartoons currently on Disney Anime hyper are also so dimly lit.

Paiprince wrote:
I'd also argue that while those sort tend to be really annoying, they're still people too and the way he deals with them is nothing short of childish as a professional writer. He should've handled the problem with kids gloves at worst.

George R.R. Martin is one of the people who can get away with it though. The obsessive fans don't seem too bothered by it. I don't know exactly how these obsessive fans are like, but if they're like obsessive fans in other fandoms I've been a part of, there should be a way to teach them restraint and boundaries (and there will always be a few who won't learn in any way but force).

Reminds me of how Justin Bieber complained two days ago on Instagram about taking pictures with fans and how he feels he's treated "like a zoo animal" in them. He can say that because his fans won't love him any less (and the people who hate him won't hate him more for it).
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Warren Ellis said he wrote script outlines for Madhouse when they did those Marvel anime series, but they didn't use them. I believe he called the final result "unrecognizable".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3