• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Kabaneri Sauvignon

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Occurs to me: if Amazon is going to bury Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress rather than promote it, why on earth did they license it? Wouldn't the point of getting an exclusive license be to promote it to anime fans and say "hey, if you want to watch this, you need to join Amazon Prime?" Netflix understood this well enough with Knights of Sidonia, pushing it as a recommendation to anyone who'd ever watched any anime on Netflix (did they buy ANN banners? That would be the sensible thing to do).

Anyways, getting an exclusive license and doing nothing with it is really bizarre. Big, dumb companies with more money than they know what to do with, I guess.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
^
I think your second paragraph answers your initial question. Why would Amazon not promote their exclusive anime title? Easy, because they have a ton of money and promoting or not promoting a niche product is not going to hurt their bottom line.

I have not many issues with how Amazon treats Kabaneri. But I would be worried if Amazon starts picking 3-4 of the big anime titles each season. Like Zac, I don't want Amazon or any other big company to screw the N.A. anime market.

And while I agree that Netflix does a way better job promoting its exclusive titles, they could do better if they streamed subtitled episodes of their anime as they air in Japan. I appreciate that Nexflix dubs their anime, but I also want simulcasts, like Crunchyroll and Funimation do it.
magvis

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I've seen a tendency of reviewers to base at least part of what they say on what they've heard about something rather than entirely on their own experience. This certainly can color one's opinion, and not in a good way. In addition, hearing in the podcast that someone is basing their view of Kabaneri on watching two episodes was a bit disturbing of itself. Frankly I'd be hard put to think of any show that I'd be willing to judge based on two episodes, at least when, like here, the setup isn't complete until at least episode four.

As for the constant references to AoT. I don't see it. The tone is different, the story is different (and a lot more realistic, which is saying something as I haven't seen a real zombie around lately). Frankly for me AoT was a grand failure in oh so many ways - except to make you feel disgusted.

Character development in Kabaneri is slow. We really don't know who some of the people really are yet. Which could well be a problem since it looks to be only 12 or 13 episodes...
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:52 pm Reply with quote
magvis wrote:
I've seen a tendency of reviewers to base at least part of what they say on what they've heard about something rather than entirely on their own experience. This certainly can color one's opinion, and not in a good way. In addition, hearing in the podcast that someone is basing their view of Kabaneri on watching two episodes was a bit disturbing of itself. Frankly I'd be hard put to think of any show that I'd be willing to judge based on two episodes, at least when, like here, the setup isn't complete until at least episode four.

But Lauren (who'd watched only two episodes) isn't reviewing it; she's just commenting as part of a group conversation, to the degree that she can given what she's seen. And to acknowledge that the buzz on a show is going one way or another is surely worth noting, whether you like, dislike, or haven't seen the thing in question.

It's not "disturbing". This is what happens when there's more available than any of us have time to watch. And, personally, there's plenty of stuff I'm perfectly comfortable judging (good and bad) on the basis of not watching it at all, just based on genre, studio, the property it's based on, the kind of people watching it, etc. I hope you're not playing the "you can't criticize this thing I like until you've seen all of it" game; that doesn't hold much sway.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:18 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Anyways, getting an exclusive license and doing nothing with it is really bizarre. Big, dumb companies with more money than they know what to do with, I guess.

Yeah, they haven't really done much with it as far as promoting it specifically to anime fans. However, I'm not sure they are ready to do that. I find Prime Video in general to be a bit on the thin side. There's plenty of B flicks and old stuff, but its only recently that they've really started to push with original programing. Kabaneri is just a single show, I don't think people are going to pick up Prime membership for a single anime. Prime Video for a long time has just been an added perk to having Prime Membership, but not in itself the main draw (I use it primarily for the shipping). They are going to have to add more significant content in order for it to be a draw and then they will start promoting things and this goes for the anime section as well.

Amazon has shown me Kabaneri on the front page as a recommendation. I think because my wishlists and search history contain anime, so there is that minimum of promotion going on.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Great show! I didn't know how I'd feel about the format but it's nice to get a feel for some of the site's writers and more audience participation along with a focus on more current shows. I'm not watching Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress as I don't have Amazon Prime glad to hear it at least looks nice. I do enjoy Tanaka-Kun for the cast of oddballs although Echizen has to be my favorite of the group.

The video game discussions are interesting but are something I just look at from the outside as I don't play. It would be great if Manga content got more coverage but honestly so much of the review coverage that is not on ANN is tied into a seeming handful of well-known blogs as well as occasional coverage by American comics Press.

As it is it's a rather niche area of writing still I don't read it as much as I used to as I've been able to develop my tastes and they have changed over the years.

I, however, did find Right Turn Only when it was still around at ANN to be a welcome place to stumble upon unknown series and even had two reviews I sent in published which is a nice little thing that at least made my Mom happy. Oh by the by thanks for ruining the ending to Princess Nine for me (I kid, I kid) just got it at a convention for $25 so I'll see how it is.

As concerns the Kodomo no Jikan Kickstarter I backed it but I also understand why it makes others uncomfortable. That being said (considering that the comment thread for the news article on it got locked.) It seems like certain parties on both sides are incapable of being civil to each other or agreeing to disagree.

I look at it that as Anime and Manga fans/Otaku we all live in glass houses so to speak and the last thing we need is to have organized fandom turn into a witch hunt or Cronus devouring his young. In short live and let live is my advice on this issue as these arguments when they arise seem to generate more heat than light and only end in either hurt feelings on both sides.

In conclusion, the old Al-anon slogan “Say what you mean and mean what you say but don't say it meanly”. Would be a good thing to remember when engaging with others you may disagree with honestly I just find the whole thing blackly humorous but such is my nature. Also, fun fact Mari Okada wrote the scripts for the TV Anime adaptation of Kodomo no Jikan.

I didn't see the original Gundam Unicorn OVAs so the TV series is a first for me and it's actually the first Gundam series I've actually liked after attempting to watch Zeta Gundam, Gundam Wing, and Gundam Build Fighters.

I also just watched episode 20 of Concrete Revolutio and also thought it was good, the idea of it being a Pastiche of Rambo is interesting and it is very hard on American policy but then again we kind of deserved given the context of that episode.

While I do hope Berserk ends up being good all though I'm not crazy about the character design I will reserve judgment until I have actually seen it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
While it is legal, I am agreeing with Zac on it being reprehensible. As much as I enjoy fan service, this type is where even I draw the line.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:39 am Reply with quote
The fact that this episode is a play on the Cabernet Sauvignon drink I find appropriate. As much as I am enjoying the series, I wonder if the creators were drunk at any time pitching this idea to have AoT meets "Rail Wars!" but minus the constant fan service.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2