• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Deadline: Legendary Moves Toward Live-Action Pokémon Film Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vision33r

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:25 pm Reply with quote
They will hire some 25 year old white guy to play 10 year old Satoshi or shall we just call him Ash Ketchum, Americanized name.
Guile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
vision33r wrote:
They will hire some 25 year old white guy to play 10 year old Satoshi or shall we just call him Ash Ketchum, Americanized name.

I think it's a given it won't be based on Generation 1 nostalgia pandering since that's the only one American fans, especially those that no longer are interested in the franchise, seem to care about, and since it'll be about nostalgia they are more than likely use the Americanized names and make them all white except Takeshi who will probably be made black, and Kasumi will be written like she was in the dub rather than the original version. She'll probably wear pants now too. It would be a disaster if they tried to make Team Rocket serious though, that's what a lot of people hated about Best Wishes.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I wonder which region of Gyms the production team will focus on and how they'll handle the Gym Battles. If it's Kanto or Sinnoh, I could see them working out alright, since they don't feature much supernatural material or giant attractions compare to other regions.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:02 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
It would be a disaster if they tried to make Team Rocket serious though, that's what a lot of people hated about Best Wishes.

Those people must've hated the Team Rocket of Red & Green and Gold & Silver.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
The best thing for which ever studio that gets the live action rights to Pokémon to do is start completely from scratch by creating a new region or world, new characters, new villain, new dream for the main character, changing everything except for the Pokémon themselves. If they can do all that right then this movie will be a success. Cool
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:27 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
The best thing for which ever studio that gets the live action rights to Pokémon to do is start completely from scratch by creating a new region or world, new characters, new villain, new dream for the main character, changing everything except for the Pokémon themselves. If they can do all that right then this movie will be a success. Cool

Honestly, I think that would be the best thing for this live-action version of Pokémon, since that will result in much fewer complications.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:57 am Reply with quote
Oh god! Is this really necessary? Does the world really need a live-action "Pokemon?" Me,I don't think so. I don't think it could ever work,not even if the creators themselves backed it. It's like this new "Ghostbusters" movie coming out. It'll be seen as a desecration of a beloved franchise. Personally,I hope this deal goes down in FLAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:37 am Reply with quote

Or instead of 3DCG, they could just use these guys, Godzilla suit style:

leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:31 am Reply with quote
I remember that fan-made poster parody...thing. The big mistake they made was trying to keep to the official models for the realistic CGI instead of, well, figuring out what they'd look like if they were realistic. CGI Smurfs, CGI Scooby-Doo, CGI Garfield, and CGI Chipmunks were given drastic redesigns for greater realism, for instance. I'd expect the same for photorealistic Pokémon.

BlueCatMage wrote:
Normally when things like this happen, I just wait till the actual movie itself comes out to truly judge its worth, but I honestly can not see it ending well in this case. No offense to Legendary, Sony, or anyone else going for this project, but I think the entire idea of an actual live-action pokemon movie is insanely dumb. The whole focal point of pokemon is the pocket monster themselves, not the people. And I seriously can not see this working out well in any direction they choose to take it in. So to whoever gets the rights, HEAVEN HELP US ALL IF THEY DO, I think they should be prepared to go bankrupt or suffer from some major backlash. -__-;

None of these companies are going bankrupt from one movie. This isn't Heaven's Gate.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:32 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

None of these companies are going bankrupt from one movie. This isn't Heaven's Gate.

Ouch.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:23 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Why cant they just leave anime out of live action it never works out

If you said "mostly", not "never", I'd agree. The Kenshin movies were pretty awesome IMO.
Blue21

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:31 am Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:

If you said "mostly", not "never", I'd agree. The Kenshin movies were pretty awesome IMO.

Kenshin was helped by having a completely human cast and serious subject matter. Pokemon is too cartoonish to not be ridiculous in live-action.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Disney's "live action" The Jungle Book and the new Tarzan movie both have all-CGI animal casts (in Jungle Book's case, the kid is the only non-animated part of the movie!) I could see them try something like that, but with cutesy Pokemon designs. They can't do it without the original cast of characters (Ash, Brock, Misty), though. This is probably a pure nostalgia vehicle.

Or it could be in production hell for the next decade, who knows.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:06 am Reply with quote
A live-action Pokemon movie? I got a bad feeling about this...

I already got it i my mind that Team Rocket will end up being like the two robbers from Home Alone. If they have Brock, his flirtatiousness will likely be neutered due to PC reasons. And I'm sure it will be focused on a tournament battle, since it would set a bad precedent of young kids traveling the world, unsupervised.

And as for the Pokemon, that will be a mess. You can't use their Cartoon form in a live action, since it would be silly. And if you give them a realistic form, kids might get fussy "that's not Pikachu!"

But if a movie studio wants to make a movie, who am I to stop them. Never know, it might be a surprise success.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
And as for the Pokemon, that will be a mess. You can't use their Cartoon form in a live action, since it would be silly. And if you give them a realistic form, kids might get fussy "that's not Pikachu!"

Sure they can. Kids have pretty much forgotten what the Smurfs looked like in the comics or the Hanna-Barbera cartoon because the realistic CGI Smurfs have supplanted that in their heads.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2