• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actress Yuko Miyamura Announces Divorce

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:09 am Reply with quote
If I had to deal with the girl who voiced Asuka for 12 yrs then i'd probably divorce her too, I just hope he didn't choke her out before going to court. :/
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:43 am Reply with quote
I'd have done the papers first, then spent the rest of the day doing the fun stuff.

KH91 wrote:
Cheers to you for 12 years. You were fortunate to last that long.

12 years is above average for Japan (11 years in Tokyo) & the average for Australia. Ultimately all marriages end in divorce or death. Just enjoy it while it lasts.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:00 am Reply with quote
This is my old grump post, so my professionalism is going to be lacking here.

Maybe those numbers are a generational thing among Gen-Xers and Millennials. I don't know a single Japanese person who has ever divorced and everyone my wife and I know have been married forty plus years like I we have. So, I am going to have to call BS on that average of 11 years (and I'm living in Tokyo now).

Perhaps 12 years is a long time for kids these days to be married. Aside from domestic abuse, it does seem like people today find it much easier to just quit and walk away from a spouse like it was a bad roommate than it is to try and work things out; or they jump in to marriage too fast without really knowing their partner to begin with.

what amazes me is that she publicly announced the divorce, via twitter and wrote it as a joke. It goes to show how things are changing here in Japan as well. Getting divorced has always been and even today considered to be a rather shameful thing, and remarriage rates for divorcees in Japan is pretty low. Also note Japan is not exactly a friendly country towards single mothers either, so hope she has some nice residuals coming in.

Now, I'd tell you kids to get the hell off my lawn, but I don't have one.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:46 am Reply with quote
To be honest 12 years really isn't all that long of a commitment even if it is the "Average" in some countries it's just not that long. Rolling Eyes
sillyriri

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:48 am Reply with quote
Out of interest, I looked into it a little, and rather than increasing divorce rates being a young people thing, it seems to actually be at least partially an old people thing. As for that average length thing, I'm assuming it's data from this article.

Anyway, on the original topic of this thread, I wish her and her family all the best. Obviously we can't say much about the circumstances here, but divorce can sometimes (or even often) be the best option.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:50 am Reply with quote
It would be great if this means she could again voice characters that aren't Asuka from Evangelion, or Kazuha from Detective Conan.

I always considered her one of most recognizable voice actresses of 90s and early 00s, and she was always one of my favorites.

Even when her voice somewhat changed around 2011 (when aired one of the episodes of Detective Conan with Kazuha), I still really liked the color of it.

This kinda makes me happy like when I heard that Sakura Tange returned as a seiyu.

EDIT: Now if only Yuri Shiratori also returned.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
Going to Japan!
Fireworks!
Ramen!
Divorce papers!

One of things is not like the others....

Exactly! Unlike the over three, I have never seen any billboard advertisements for fireworks before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sylontack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:
It would be great if this means she could again voice characters that aren't Asuka from Evangelion, or Kazuha from Detective Conan.

I always considered her one of most recognizable voice actresses of 90s and early 00s, and she was always one of my favorites.

Even when her voice somewhat changed around 2011 (when aired one of the episodes of Detective Conan with Kazuha), I still really liked the color of it.

This kinda makes me happy like when I heard that Sakura Tange returned as a seiyu.

EDIT: Now if only Yuri Shiratori also returned.

According to her Twitter she's still going to be living in Australia, if you're suggesting going back to Japan would result in her returning to regular work. She's now going to be a single mother either way which would take a toll on her schedule.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:34 am Reply with quote
The auto-translate that tweet is a joke. It read "After a divorce, and then reach out!. It's my job for 12 years." Good luck with your future endeavors.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2