• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Closing Ceremony at Rio Olympics Might Feature Pokémon GO Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheWolfhart

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I don't care for or watch sports anime, so I didn't know what it was.

Take it easy pal, I'm not judging you.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:05 am Reply with quote
No Pokémon GO (or Pokémon anything, for that matter--TCPi is really protective in that way), but I have to say that it was annoying how the NBC commentators talked over the entire closing ceremony and over the other countries' anthems and sprinkled commercial breaks over the live coverage. It was as if whoever was in charge of Olympics coverage thought the viewers would get bored and tune out if there wasn't someone speaking in English the whole way through AND was so fervently patriotic that they didn't feel the need to respect other countries. (There were commentators during the opening ceremonies too, but I didn't mind because they mostly did introductions to the countries and performers.)

To my knowledge, this is the first time any American broadcast of the Olympics had commentators for the closing ceremonies and had this many commercial breaks during it. On top of that, when they got to the big open dance mob at the end, NBC quickly shifted the focus over to the commentators themselves for a few minutes, then immediately went to The Voice, as if they were in a hurry to get the Olympics over with.

Or if there was any Pokémon representation, I sure didn't see it on NBC. There was a chance I didn't see it because it popped up during NBC's commercial time, or it was at the very end of the closing ceremonies when NBC decided to show The Voice instead.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:24 am Reply with quote
CBC also had commentators, and I've never seen an Olympic Ceremony without commentators. CBC also had commercials, and I've never seen an Olympic Ceremony without commentators. CBC also ended their coverage at the same spot (the ceremony was over at that point, what's the point in continuing with just a bunch of people dancing around?).

I hate NBC's Olympic coverage as much as the next American, but you can't fault them for Closing, other than the 1-4 hour delay. And I was actually glad that they didn't put a commercial break right in the middle of Tokyo's presentation, which is what CBC did.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow, are you serious? That's what CBC did? They wouldn't let you see the Tokyo video?

The commentating for the opening ceremonies was fine with me, because most of it was introducing everyone and all the countries. But they couldn't go on for more than 30 seconds in the closing ceremonies without saying something, and most of it was completely meaningless or was something anyone with functioning eyes could see. They also talked over the anthems, which I think is incredibly rude. The chatter was something closer to a group of friends watching it and eating pizza or something than anything constructive.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:42 pm Reply with quote
CBC went to CM right after the PM came out of the warp pipe, and came back after all of the weird light box-thingies came down.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2